1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Noel or Okafor to be traded

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jamesdelia, Sep 8, 2016.

1. showa13

showa13 Member

Noel is a very good on ball defender for a big, and has good weak side defense. He's very athletic(even after the knee injury), but his offensive game is very very raw, and hasn't improved since he came into the NBA.

Okafor is already one of the best post scorers in the NBA, but his defense makes Harden look all world. Plus he's shown to be a black hole on offense(slightly due to his team, but he was similar at Duke).

Both are bad at FTs but can improve. But in all honesty Capela is not only better than both, he has more upside as a two-way player and I'd rather have him than either

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Name_____Age_____Height____W-Span____Fg%___Ft%
    Capela____22_______6-11_______7-4.5_____.58____.38
    Noel______22_______6-11.5_____7-3.75____.52____.59
    Okafor____20_______6-11_______7-5_______.51____.69

Just some basic comparison

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

KJ and the rights to Llull, wrap r up.

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I would do it. Bad thing is Morey will never trade Llull.

5. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I'd welcome either on the Rockets.

Noel looks like a Tyson Chandler type player. Not flashy (little offense), finishes off the roll, anchors a defense. If anything he might have the potential to be better due to his perimeter defense and ability to get steals. I think he's up there in normal and advanced defensive statistics. Shot better than Capela around the basket fwiw.

Okafor is pretty much Al Jefferson at this point. In fact he's outproducing Jefferson at the same age. Buttery post game. Has a developing jumper. I think the defense and passing is something that'll come to him as he gains more experience, but yeah right now its lacking.

I like both of them as players. Really like Capela, but I think as of right now, you take either one over him. Hopefully Capela's first season as the defacto starter makes me change my mind.

6. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Old news this was reported on draft night

7. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Its gonna take a lot more than that, heard fake rumors about Love for Noel:eek:

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Harden is in his prime now. This team should be trying to get to the finals and these young guys don't have enough experience to even fathom a deep post run.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Also defense, rebounding, ball-stopping, and shot blocking. He is good at isolation post-ups though (so long as he's single-covered; he's not good at passing out). Unfortunately isolation post ups are about the most inefficient way to get points.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

just curious who is he supposedly passing out too in philly. their perimeter players last year consisted of borderline NBA players.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

True, but it's still a way to improve our team, we just don't have the assets to trade for a superstar, and as today, i'm not even sure there's a superstar available anyway...

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

There's talk about LAL and one other team trying to get Paul George but the LA media works on getting every Superstar to LA. That being said, I would trade just about every player outside of Harden, Anderson and Capela to get him on this team. Indiana, take your pick!

I think a starting lineup of the following could do some real damage:

P.G. - Harden
    S.G. - Gordon
    S.F. - George
    P.F.- Anderson
    ..C. - Capela

Not as much Defense as I would like to see but the offense would be Top 5.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

There were a couple championship caliber bigs that Morey could have persuaded to join the Rockets. Trade for plus contract renegotiation should enticed. No such thing as superstar bigs other than those locked down. Bogut, P. Gasol would have helped big time.

14. Fantasma Negro

Harden
    Gordon
    Gay
    Anderson
    Noel. Do it Morey do it

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

George is probably the best possible fit among all the nba stars next to Harden, i would trade everyone outside James for him, not doubt.

He will be an expiring next season though, i just don't see Bird looking to trade him this year, and in fact i think this is good for us because we just don't have the assets now. But we have few guys with upside, if they'll play a good season we may have a decent chance in trade talks next next year.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh...they're (still) good or very good...let's say, but i really don't see this roster plus Bogut or Pau being that much better to be honest...with Bogut maybe, but didn't Morey actually tried to trade for him but Bogut chosed the Mavs?

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not untrue. I'll take that part back.

I just personally can't get behind a center who's so bad defensively. With the way modern NBA offenses and defenses are played, your center has to be a good interior presence. Whereas Okafor made every lineup of Philly's worse defensively last year.

18. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

lets go with okafor

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Definitely but we gotta remember he's a rookie without any defensive principles pressed upon him. He's been a offensive weapon thus far in his career and gotten by on it. Whether or not the right personnel comes in and teaches him the other side of the ball remains to be seen. This will be crucial in how good he really becomes in this league.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's not just that he's bad defensively. He's a bad rebounder too. And has other flaws. I think some of those other flaws might improve - basically becoming a better and more rounded offensive player. But I don't see how he'll ever become that much better defensively or rebounding wise. In a perfect system (Spurs) he can be maximized there but still won't be good.

Given the Rockets flaws not sure how Okafor fits in any way.

Noel is a bit duplicative wit Capela... Except he's currently the obviously better version. And should fit with the Rockets new roster and coach/scheme. High pace, lots of rebounding, PnR dunks, fast break opportunities to score some points and opportunity to at least add some defense.

But would I trade a lot for him? No... Because of Capela. Who clearly isn't in Noel's league currently but brings similar attributes and I believe will improve more.