1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwyane Wade's cousin killed in cross-fire in downtown Chicago.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Aug 26, 2016.

1. tksense

tksense Member

Oh, I see why u got mad. Of course hostility against blacks were always horrible and esp during the lynching era. Things have gotten much better over time as far as "black lives matter." The way my points were grouped together made it seem like one was inference of another. I'm sorry for the confusion just cos I tried to be short.

But police quality is another matter. Back then, brutality against blacks are openly supported by the state. In gradually more progressive era, it'd sound bad and we're not supposed to support open racism. But covert racism still exist, obviously, so they gotta make some tweaks to the police selection.

Case in point, why would a law enforcement agency turn away overqualified applicants? There could be many reasons. But the fact we know is that we can have better policemen patrolling our streets and the system deflates that to an extent.

2. StraightG

StraightG Member

It's not a common observation. It's a disgusting form of scientific racism.

3. tksense

tksense Member

It's not even scientific, hood movies portray the same thing, done by black directors, mirroring their real experiences. We all see them if this happen around u too.

But even among gangster struggles, gangs of other races involve more fighting on business and strategies and godfather type struggles. The frequency and the reasons for pulling guns are both very consistently distinguishable between gangs of different race/ cultures.

This is an observation, it is not scientific (but if someone did a control group research, it will become so), and most important of all, THIS IS NOT RACISM.

Pointing out a kind of behavior is a vehicle for discussion or understanding. I love all kinds of people, does that mean I have to be blind to their differences?

4. StraightG

StraightG Member

:rolleyes: First of all, it's ridiculous to use "hood" movies to definite Black people. They are movies. But even still, "hood" movies depict long standing, inter-generational conflicts between groups. They also depict the precarious atmosphere that cause people to react to conflict in the way that they do. Black bodies are constantly vulnerable in those environments and this can cause quick defensive and sometimes offensive measures at times. They also show the residential discrimination, poverty, substandard educational institutions and all the other things that generate violence among many communities around the world. It's dumb to make any assumptions about Black Americans based on these movies period, but especially of you only have a surface understanding of them.

Either way, this has nothing to do with Black people's "temperament." How can a race of people have a single temperament? Black people are not more impulsive and we do not tend to strategize less. You're dead wrong and prejudiced.

5. StraightG

StraightG Member

*define

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. tksense

tksense Member

That's true, and I agree with you completely. But I'm not making an assumption. The officers, if anything, are.

I already said this is UNFAIR for any individual case that they are assumed to be "dangerous" so that police have no patience when they say "black". But i am acknowledging that due to the rather common "inter-generational conflicts" and all that you described, the officers feel they need to respond by upgrading their speed to trigger in order to "protect themselves".

If you don't realize this already, I feel this is COMPLETELY WRONG AND UNFAIR, however, if you want to have any hope to improve the situation, at least begin delvining into possible causes and ponder a little bit what can possibly change.

The IMAGE of blacks as dangerous and potentially fast on the triggers is TRUE for these American officers, and that's all u need to first understand what I'm trying to do here, in a discussion to find a solution.

Now where is my prejudice and even racism and what not? In fact if I several ppl in need of help and I have only limited resource, I always help the blacks, cos u know, I want them to rise up. This is exactly why we need this discussion and I went ahead here.

Denial of possible causes is not going to go anywhere. Merely complaining of others' wrongs also won't. Willingness to search for solutions that you can personally contribute is. IMAGE is a collective thing, but everyone can contribute. Like being open minded and pinpointing root causes to perform specific remedy.

That's why I like the NBA, it's actually helping on this cause. They try to promote reading and the idea that u can do something positive, with a product that appeals to disadvantaged minority communities.

8. tksense

tksense Member

Yes, this is an uncomfortable "observation" (in case u don't agree with it). But to improve the black community, this is a topic I feel that should be faced, rather than ignored due to hurt feeling. By facing, we can try to promote activities that encourage patience and thinking through actions. These can be all trained. But to train for this very thing, you would have to actually identify and believe it is a specific issue worth targeting.

I can cite you unlimited examples of black behaviors that help support this "image", because it does happen a lot, and definitely more frequently than other races. It is all a matter of degree, I am not saying this as a judgment on any individual. But people generally are simple minded, they associate skin color or groups with past experiences they had or image and reputation the group has earned.

Can you first acknowledge this chit happens? I hate it, but I will face it by talking about it.

9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Dr. Kappeler's research has some extremely questionable regression methods, but I'll play along.

Minorities shaped the development of the police department. That's fact.

Minorieties shaped the development of the entire country. In fact, the reason government lobbying was allowed to happen at all, was originally because of minority interest!

With that being said, This article proves you wrong. Minorities were not even remotely considered with the FOUNDING of the police. Just with the development.

Police were originally founded to control indentured servents, who as a group, were predominately white! (Gasp).

I respect his work, but he's always had a knack of missing the big picture in favor of more specific statistics.

10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Have you ever heard of putting the cart before the horse?

Have you ever heard of correlation != causation?

Just because you believe something is true, doesn't mean it will become scientifically proven. The science that currently exists paints your views as extremely ignorant, both of the scientific method, and of racism at large.

the idea that black people are more likely to pull a gun, is simply false. The reason nobody has done a scientific study of your opinion, is because we've already proved it wrong, with real science.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Wades has over a hundred million and he can't take care of his entire immediately family? WTH?

12. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

Maybe he tried? Sometimes people don't want to leave what they know?

Doesn't Lamar Odoms mother still live in a bad neighborhood in Queens?

13. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QovhCwgqCco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Or maybe he's cheap

Dwayne Wade, easier to go infront of the ESPYs talking about making a difference, than putting money where his mouth is and actually making a difference.

PS. Lamar Odom's mother passed away when he was 12 years old