1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ITT Tech closing all campuses today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Understandable. Not every job situation is for everyone. Sounds like the school at least helped him get to where he envisioned, even if the cost was too high and he preferred a different career path.

I used to work an overnight job. I was alone in an office, with someone buzzing in on an intercom every 30 minutes or so. I'd also drive around and observe/report on the area once a night for about an hour. So other than answering the occasional intercom buzz and an hour long driving inspection, I was free to do whatever I wanted. Usually Netflix/reading/internet browsing/music.

That place had excellent benefits too. Only thing was the pay was s***. If only they'd have given me a 300% raise I'd have been there for life. The guy who took over for me was near retirement and took the job because of one of its benefits (free tuition for your kids at certain universities).

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

There was a poster about 3-4 years back that asked ClutchFans for help. He benefited greatly from people's charity, but I think he ended up returning some after being called out. He had a lot of rap samples and songs and wanted to attend music school.

I totally forgot about it until Bandwagoner brought it up, but it was a pretty funny thread.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He was asking for a bridge loan or info on how to get community college transcripts so his federal funding could come through.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You asked why ITT Tech got student loans. They got student loans because a certain political party literally fought tooth and nail to prevent the Department of Education from ever enforcing the Higher Education Act's gainful employment requirement.

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Are you not for public education system up to high school? Or do you think all education should be privatized? If you're for public education through high school why is that the stopping point for you?

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im all for stopping student loans for near worthless liberal arts degrees.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

1. Very dubious when things are labeled a sham. Caveat emptor. The threshold for fraud needs to be quite high. Sometimes I purchase things that don't have the value I expected. I don't try and sue the company or get them shut down.

2. Wasting federal tuition dollars is hardly the exclusive province of for-profit universities. There are lots of worthless degrees to be had at non-profit universities.

3. Even at nonprofits, administrators and teachers are profiting handsomely. In either case, when you're spending other people's money (or taking risk with it), there is less accountability and less of a performance incentive.

4. This is why the feds shouldn't be playing lender on behalf of the taxpayer.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

But they are still For-Profit which I think is the sticking point here. If you need to make profits, corruption is possible.

But who are we really kidding honestly. All colleges (not for and for profit, accredited and non-accredited) really facked up. My daughter's a freshman and her she spend almost a grand on books for her first sememter. She couldn't buy used for some either because she needed an unused code or some crap. I mean c'mon that's a facking scam if I've ever heard of one.

I guess what I'm saying is in my eyes there is very little difference between a place like ITT and any other University in practice. The only difference and it matters is we (society, economy, HR, etc..) accept one but mock the other.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Typical... Tossing stuff out there when you have no idea what you're talking about. Get your facts straight. It wasn't Ja Rule, it was Nelly. :grin:

10. SunsRocketsfan

I'm a hiring manager in the tech industry and I will tell you this.. a degree from DeVry, Univ. of Phx, ITT tech, etc gives you negatives points give you negative points. I rather not see a degree from these scams. It almost tells a lot about the candidate that they were too dumb and not smart enough to realize these schools are bogus.

11. SunsRocketsfan

\thread

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You might need to educate yourself some.

Look at Germany or much of northern Europe, college is free over there, they use their taxes to improve their society not to buy more un- needed missiles, or 13bn aircraft carriers.

Ike warned us about not checking the military industrial complex, and letting it get out of hand, and here we are, militarily driven country.

That needs to change...it is not sustainable.

DD

13. SunsRocketsfan

are you saying ITT and MIT are the same?

okkkkkaayyy.... :rolleyes:

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

for the public schools, not for the private schools. Are you advocating we get rid of all/most the private schools here?

15. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

Good point.

16. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That seems a bit unethical on your part. Maybe they shouldn't get as much consideration as somebody from a legit university, but you can't fault them for getting an education and trying to better their lives.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They also have a far lower percentage of adults with a postsecondary degree than the USA. The tradeoff for free school is you have to weed out crap universities AND crap students. It isn't a choice between aircraft and teaching kids.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

There a HUGE ****ing different between ITT tech and a 4 year school. What the **** are you smoking?

Do these schools even have the necessary math past your basic calculus courses such as differential equations? What about advanced physics courses? Statics? Dynmacis? Seriously... Are you joking? The highest level course load in ITT tech would be equavilant to a 3rd semester sophomore engineering major at a typical 4 year.

19. SunsRocketsfan

No, you certainly can not rule someone out 100% but I'm just highlighting what is reality. I'm hiring for very senior technical positions. From my experience someone who has a technical degree from a reputable 4 year University is more capable and naturally has the right strength I'm seeking.

I'm just being truthful here and I personally know most hiring managers I've come across in the industry including recruiters have made similar comments. These scam for profit schools have horrible reputations and it's a bad first impression and almost a black eye on any resume.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Maybe we should up the NATO ante to 10-15%. Not exactly like Germany does not "benefit" anyway from US imperialism.