1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

If you are a football fan and live in Houston, then that is exactly who you would want to join the Big 12.

I attended many SWC games at Rice and it was a lot of fun with big crowds. Unlikely Rice gets in because the people in power care more about money than what is best for the fans or the students.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Pretty sure they'd get a pretty decent showing for UT, OSU, OU, Baylor, TCU games.

3. askball

askball Member

4. MystikArkitect

Memphis is out but SMU, Rice and Tulane are in. Hmm.

Wonder if the Big 12 invites Rice over UH for a Houston presence and the fact that they'll never be a legit threat to steal the same recruits. That'd be something.

5. what

what Member

It would be hysterical if the big 12 chose Houston and Rice to be in the big 12. Might as well keep the longhorn network if that was the case.

Although Houston has strong teams, especially in football, I don't see why the big 12 needs Houston, except maybe to further Texas's interest in land.

Also, I don't believe that Memphis is out of the running, this is not sour grapes. I just think the bearcats and byu both offer more diverity to the big 12 which is nearly a group of 5 conference as much as it is a power 6 conference.

The acc, sec, pac12 are all sexier leagues than the longhorn network.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It would seem pretty lame if OU opposed UH for the big 12 now.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

Why? Are you saying OU would be against UH joining the Big 12 just because the outcome of one game?

How was OU leaning before the game?

8. newAge_Rockets

UH vs. OU received a monstrous 12.8 tv rating locally, 4.0 nationally. The highest TV rating in Houston last year was Alabama vs. A&M at 8.5.

Face it folks, if you give UH quality opponents (like those teams in the Big 12) then UH will dominate the market. And who says no to dominating the 8th largest (and still growing) market in the United States of America?

Our history, our aspiring facilities, and our market gets us in the Big 12. Our market isn't a negative, its an advantage! And trust me, the executives at Fox and ESPN understand this much more than our lovely message board posters.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yes and no. Can't argue against the ratings but not every matchup in the Big 12 will be a Top 15 matchup that was hyped up for an entire offseason. What will the games versus Iowa State, KU, K-State, WV, Tech, Baylor, etc be like?

As far as the execs you are talking about, there have been a lot of rumblings that they don't want expansion at all. Rest assure if they favor one school over another, they'll make it known to the conference. Things are definitely trending the right way for UH though without a doubt.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, those won't get the same ratings, but much better than those schools would have otherwise done in this market. Nobody really wants to watch games against bad schools, but if you make them conference games, it'll give them a boost.

11. MystikArkitect

Man how bad would the Big 12 look if another league swept in an took UH and say Memphis, Cincy or BYU right from under them.

Would solidify their place as the worst conference by far after this whole 19 contestant debacle. They would lose both talented schools AND the Houston market.

12. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

If I was the commish of the Pac-12, I would be on the phone right now offering UH a place in the conference. Houston is far more valuable to the Pac-12 than the Big 12.

13. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Not just the Pac-12. The BIG 10 and the ACC should be making phone calls as well. Especially if the future model is for 16 team conferences. I would really love the ACC that would be football and basketball heaven.

14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I'm saying that they were against UH joining but now they'll look lame if they stay opposed to them since they were beaten.

The thought is that none of the non texas teams want UH because it increases the influence of the state.

It was an 11:00 AM game with nothing else to watch. Still good but that is a giant asterisk.

Just finish this process and bring in UH and BYU.

15. Major

Major Member

These are decade+ long decisions that really are all about money. Any single game results shouldn't be influencing any decision making, honestly. If anyone changed their mind based on a football game, those people should be fired for incompetence at their jobs.

1 person likes this.
  16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

On my phone, so can't embed.

https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/772801414636515328

Nielsen locals for ND-Texas on ABC: Austin 25.4, SA 15.1, DFW 13.1, Houston 11.5.

Houston drew a 12 something. I forgot what it was. This was during the midday with other games on the television.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This indicates that UT-Austin delivers the Houston market.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Primetime with absolutely nothing else on and the next day was labor day.

19. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

LMAO, it does? To me, it indicates Notre Dame delivers the San Antonio and Dallas markets. #SameLogic. #BetterTrolling

Bro - or sis, I dunno - your troll game needs to show the ability to adapt to history. It's now factual, history, that UH beat OU. The debatable part is whether they dominated (time of possession, rushing yds, rushing YPA, first downs, weighted avg score, more time spent leading) or whether the 10 point final margin is a true barometer. I'm on the fence - I feel a 17 pt margin is what the underlying peripherals supported. Not quite the 10 the final score indicates, but far from the Coogsopium fueled visions of 30.

UT needed to be the only game on, opening weekend, a sunday night, and matched with a top 5 TV draw, to.....wait for it....

wait for it.....STILL underperform the UH draw.

For the B1G and SEC, it wouldn't be acceptable for one of their lucrative state schools, particularly with so many unique variables supporting an anomalously captive TV audience, to get outperformed by a group of 5 by 10%. Those 2 conferences would NOT be ok with NOT being the 800 lb gorilla in a mega-market right in their back yard.

Succintly: The B1G would go apesh1t if Cincy vs Iowa/MSU outperformed Ohio State vs Michigan in Cincinnati. But, hey, that's just how conferences with aspirations of being the pre-eminent force in college athletics would react - to each their own. Someone has to be #4 and #5 out of 5. Math always wins.

If you hired me to consult your trolling I would suggest: Post more. Not less. Posting less only works if substance validates your posts. Otherwise, quantity supplants quality for any self-respecting troll.

Moreover, I would point to the program level - and perhaps destiny defining - significance UH gave this game vs OU. An OU program which likely viewed the game as their #4 or #5 most significant matchup - of just THIS season - and #2 (of only 3) in their non-conference schedule.

2 people like this.
  20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

^

That's what I call delivering!