1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cut Carlos Gomez.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Aug 8, 2016.

?

Who is most responsible for Gomez debacle?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2016.
  1. 5

18.5%
  2. Luhnow

3.7%
  3. Hinch

7.4%
  4. Hitting Coach

44.4%
  5. Moneyball aggregate offense approach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hell if I know but what a disaster

44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Interesting. Are there any rules around PTBNLs? I've never heard of them being non-untradeable-right-now guys...much less current MLers.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<PRE>G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    2 9 1 4 7 1 1 0 2 0 0 3 0 0 .444 .500 .778 1.278</PRE>

<iframe src='http://www.milb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=1082906083&width=853&height=480&property=milb' width='853' height='480' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

#222 J.R., Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2016
  3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I had no idea so I did some research and found some (possibly outdated?) passage that said they couldn't make a major league appearance between the time the trade was completed and when the PTBNL is named. This certainly is interesting in regards to Gallo, as he was sent down the day before this trade and hasn't come back up since.

The two teams can exchange a list of players that the Brewers can choose from at a later date, so it's entirely possible Gallo is one of a few names on a list and the Brewers want to see how each player finishes the season. Or maybe the Brewers have their eye one someone else with potential injury concerns (not familiar with Rangers system so I don't know if this is feasible) and Gallo is the backup plan.

1 person likes this.
  4. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sweet. Good to see it was really a misplayed bloop single rather than an actual triple resulting from hard contact.

Also good to see the dumbass superman slide to finish it off. Really missing Carlos now.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Actually, all PTBNL are eligible to be dealt right now. They did away with that stupid 1 year after signing rule that would lead to teams making them PTBNL.

PTBNL have ended up being the player traded in the first place, so I assume anything is possible.

6. kaleidosky

Really interesting. If that's still true, the only way that would work is if Gallo is on a list, and the other names are better than Gallo. Otherwise, the Rangers would just call him up so that they wouldn't be able to deal him. And from the Rangers perspective, they do it so that they'd have the insurance of Gallo in case of injury--but at the expense of giving up a better prospect if they had to use that insurance.

Either that, or Gallo isn't involved at all...which is the way I'm leaning based on the above scenarios. Just doesn't seem likely that the Rangers would want him as insurance for this season if they would have to give up an even more valuable piece. Gallo as 2 months of injury insurance isn't a World Series difference-maker. Of course, if the rule is outdated, then my hypothesis is irrelevant.

Right, I forgot about the rule going away. Which makes PTBNL all the more curious in the present day, unless they're just giving the receiving team the option of the rest of the season for more information / stats?

7. juicystream

My assumption is a list of players or cash. Similar to when we got Domingo Santana.

8. juicystream

Mike Matuella hasn't been healthy since being drafted last year and I'd think he'd potentially be the guy.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm sure the Brewers are savvy enough that there is either a rule or a clause in the trade contract preventing a potential PTBNL from being called to majors.

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I certainly think a very plausible scenario would be the Brewers agreeing to reevaluate a guy like Matuella after the season, and if they don't like what they find then Gallo is the replacement. And I also bet that if you are on a PTBNL list, then you aren't allowed to be called up. Seems too easy to beat the system on the Rangers part, otherwise.

11. kaleidosky

Maybe so. But then why would a rule like the one you mentioned before exist? (A player on a PTBNL list cannot make a ML appearance.) Or maybe I just interpreted it incorrectly. I guess that "rule" actually governs his ability to be called up, rather than "if he's called up, he's no longer on the PTBNL list." Makes more sense..my mistake.

I'm on board with you now..they're evaluating a higher but lesser known-quantity prospect and will take Gallo as the replacement if they're not happy.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

looks like the Astros can scoop up Josh Hamilton from the Rangers. LOL

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

Freakin Gomer!

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

3-run homer in first at-bat.

15. Remix

Remix Member

Carlos Gomez hits a 3 run homer for his first at bat as a Ranger....lol of course

16. rocketballin

rocketballin Member

Rangers are laughing at the Astros right now. Gomez 1st at bat as a Ranger a Homer.

17. PokeJ

PokeJ Member

CYear of the Astros?

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Had a different batting stance. Coaching staff...

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Cmon, it can't be! :eek:

20. Remix

Remix Member

Knowing how the Rangers season is going, wouldnt suprise me if Gomez posts a ops over .850 for the remainder of this season.

Also these Rangers announcers are awful. "Gomez can come here with a breath of fresh air, doesn't have to carry the offense like in Houston"....lol wut. Slobbering all of Gomez atm