1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why doesn't Americans like Badminton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pirc1, Aug 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What is the definition of sport? Why is it not a sport? Did you even watch any of the games before you said this is not a sport? Badminton have the fastest speed of any moving objects in sports with record of 493 km/hr.

http://olympic.ca/2014/09/11/shuttlecock-and-balls-the-fastest-moving-objects-in-sport/

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Strictly by definition, folding laundry could be a sport. That really wasn't the question though.

Talking about flying birdies being the fastest object in sports is one of those obscure, nobody really cares, types of points people make to prop up an idea that is being rejected. I'm pretty sure bullets in rifle and skeet shooting travel faster than anything in badminton though.

3. pirc1

I am sure people play with a bullet. You still haven't said what makes a sport sport? Stamina, dexterity, extreme hand eye coordination does not make for a sport, what does? I am sure by your definition soccer is not a sport either.

4. Buck Turgidson

Shuttlecocks, dude, shuttlecocks.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You said badminton had the fastest moving speed of any object in sports and that's not true. I think Olympic shooting has been around a lot longer than badminton anyway.

Sports are in the eye of the beholder I suppose. You can claim anything to be a sport really.

I consider soccer to be a sport, just don't really care about it until the World Cup comes around.

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Might as well throw tennis in that list too.

7. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

because there is no NCAA tournament.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

The thing is called a **** and looks like a ping pong ball with a skirt.

When I think of badminton I think of country club girls having tea time while carrying umbrellas. Just looks lame.

This is coming from someone who has played tennis their entire life.

9. pirc1

Pretty much because we here in US do not think of it as a sport it is not a sport. If you think about it why is baseball a sport? Why is volleyball a sport? Beach volleyball? You could get rid more than half of the sports at the Olympics because they are not "sport".

10. pirc1

My answer is have you actually watched a top level badminton match? You might want to watch a couple of the live matches today.

11. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I refuse to play or watch any sports with the word **** in it.