1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cut Carlos Gomez.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Aug 8, 2016.

?

Who is most responsible for Gomez debacle?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2016.
  1. 5

18.5%
  2. Luhnow

3.7%
  3. Hinch

7.4%
  4. Hitting Coach

44.4%
  5. Moneyball aggregate offense approach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hell if I know but what a disaster

44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I did see the other muffed play but I've just now seen this. The mind blowing part was after he sees the ball going to the fence he doesn't hall ass and go get it, he slows down!! :eek:

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bigger blunder of a decision.... the Gomez trade, or hiring Bo Porter?

I would suppose most would vote for the former... but it really may not sting as much if none of the guys we gave up go on to do anything special (and so far, its looking to be that way).

They grossly mis-judged Bo Porter from the outset...

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He slowed down because Marisnick was fielding it. Crap play regardless.

1 person likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Heard Lunhow on the radio todsy talking about the trade deadline. He said every potential trade partner wanted either (or both) Bregman or Musgrove in a trade

5. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think they hired Bo Porter expecting him to be the manager by the time the team was good. They needed someone to take the lumps of losing for awhile, and Bo did that for the most part.

Gomez was struggling when the Astros traded for him, and I suspect they thought for sure he would play well enough to get the supplemental pick and that was figured into the cost. Obviously that isn't happening now.

So I would say Gomes was a bigger "screw up".

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

Dammit to hell, I can't blame Gomer anymore? Took entirely too long but I can now say I told you so.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

To be fair to Bo he pretty much had turds to work with. Give Bo this team and I think he does just as well as A.J Gump. Same with Brad mills. Had nothing to work with.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yep, Bo was pretty much a guinea pig.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He didn't know basic rules. He often rejected what the front office's analytical based approach dictated. He invented controversy with the whole Appel clubhouse thing.

He was a buffoon who wasn't fit to manage at any level.

Also, it always struck me that if somebody told me Gomez was point shaving, I wouldn't be at all surprised... He was often THAT bad. Somebody check his mafia ties.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That is because Jake was going to get there first by that point. Players lose the ball in the lights sometimes, but rarely are they so far off on where the ball went.

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Where's the official Carlos Gomez appreciation thread?

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone is exactly dancing on his grave to be thankful he's put the uni on for the last time, so that counter reaction can suck lemons.

This a grown man, a well paid one at that. Speaking of paid, this is professional baseball. Not little league. There is no veil. Putting one up for him makes you a putz, just ask mchugh, luhnow and the man himself what the deal is.

He didn't try. He didn't change. His "game" was obnoxious. And he was so bad the team didn't think he could even be 4th OFer for another few weeks.

Addition by subtraction.

13. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

I bet we have 3-4 more wins if Carlos Gomez was never an Astro in 2016.

Pure douche bag clown.
    100% fake hustle.

14. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Appreciating what? He's still getting paid. Lol this is probably it. The hr against the Yankees in the wildcard game. That's my only remembrance of him. Wish him well as a person though.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It didn't really matter who was managing when Bo Porter was up anyway because they had no talent.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Until proven otherwise I truly believe Bo Porter was hired to ensure this team would stay terrible.

Bo Porter was my select team coach when I was 12 years old. I am still just stunned that he got a coach in professional baseball in the first place.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Ah, I found the Bo Porter thread ;)

My take is he was a gamble that might turn into something, but didn't matter if he didn't. Along with that, not a whole lot of folks would want to manage a 50 win team. Porter did.

18. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

We can make it a real throw back and debate the CSN Network as well

19. delishman

delishman Member

Is there any chance someone claims him? PTNBL ME

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Houston Astros should be way better by now. Blame Jeff Luhnow's mistakes for holding them back.... <a href="https://t.co/j0FY5dGqJG">https://t.co/j0FY5dGqJG</a></p>&mdash; Jeff Gordon (@gordoszone) <a href="https://twitter.com/gordoszone/status/763713382885298180">August 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>