1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the brokest you've ever been?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gr8-1, Oct 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rocketinmypants

How do you guys afford to get on the internet?

2. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

There was a time when I was living off of $1 a day. I would go get a bean burrito at Taco Bell and that was all I would eat each day. That period of time lasted for a good three or four weeks. I'm very glad that it didn't last any longer than that...

3. jjryulee

jjryulee Member

at college ,about 4 years,everyday i I was eating only $1 ,that is not bad ,food is delicious.that is true .

;) because i am in china .

i think the $1 food in china ,about u pay $5 in USA, i judge by the KFC or M in china.if someone cant pay food,wlcome to china.i feast you,just $1.if u are a pretty girl ,or u can beat me at basketball ground,you get free.
    :D

ok , bye ,i must effortful work for my next $1.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I wrestled a guy for a cigarette.

5. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

FrabchiseBlade --

Whoa dude! 2 Hotdogs a day and you have diabetes? How did you keep your blood sugar up?

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Too broke to given a credit card (mid 70s). No savings. I was paid $125 a week in cash. If I didn't have the money in my wallet - I couldn't buy it or have it fixed.

I remember having eggs, hot dogs and peanut butter sandwiches - alot.

And as poor as I was - I was still a rich man to most of the world.

7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

My poorest was when I was working at a ski resort (Lake Louise). I was working two jobs @ 5.50 Canadian an hour and had to pay the resort $55 a month to stay at their wood lodge with 5 other guys in our unit. I remember I couldn't afford to pay the $100 a month it would cost to have a room to myself instead of sharing. I mean I couldn't even dream of affording it.

Basically, you could pay for stuff at the company store (and the ski shop where I worked) from your paychecks in advance. Some people ended up with negative paychecks, but the worst I ever did was $25 for a month's work.

I didn't have my driver's license back then and I stood in awe of the tour guides, who I thought were rich because they made $10/hour.

I also remember looking at real meat (frozen chicken) in the company store and wishing I had enough money to buy it. My best meal that winter was when my brother came by and cooked me German potatoes (spicy sausage and potatoes).

That summer I met my wife (in another company dorm) and applied to go to DeVry on student loans. Three years later I got out of Canada and haven't been back.

Who knows where I'd be if I hadn't met a source of motivation in the mountains?

8. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I was so broke...

...I couldn't pay attention.

9. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

And you are professional comedian? Damn you must be broke.

J/J man I heard you were funny as hell... although hell ain't that funny... with all the fire and torture and glaiven.. oh nevermind. :D

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

*rimshot*

11. gs1998

gs1998 Member

Man, there are some great stories here... I remember going with my mother to get food stamps! Only four years ago I was waiting tables at a pizza place, and I was able to get my own apartment. It was January in Illinois, and my windows were so drafty, the thermostat would be cranked up to 90 degrees and still only be 47 in my whole apartment. I sat down and cried when my gas bill came in.

After that, I just shut off the heat. Wasn't worth it. Since I had no heat, I just spent the whole time at work, and I was a cook, so I could eat pretty much whenever I wanted. Being at work alot, people would give me their shifts because they wanted to go out with their friends.... Made a lot of money therafter.

Not only two years ago I turned in all of the new quarters I was collecting for my niece to buy milk.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've never been broke. I've been in tightly regimented economic situations (always, I guess). But, with the credit I have and the support from various family members, something pretty disastrous would have to happen to force me to search my couch for change to buy Ramen. It is a pretty fortunate situation to be in because it can free you to be bold in making changes in your life without fearing that the whole house of cards will crumble.

13. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

You guys had it hard, it only makes me that my life is pretty dayam good. Atleast you guys are able to sit on the web all day and post and that is what counts.

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Probably right now, that's why I'm going to see AB for free tonight!!

That Ramen guy must be a frickin' trizzilionaire.

15. weldinbo

weldinbo Member

I thought I was broke at the moment but you guys made me feel a whole lot better.

16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

My wife bought eggs today with change I left lying around.

Yay!

17. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

The brokest I've ever been was when the bank just screwed up and said I have -7.50$$$. That was because the paychex company took a **** on my account. But now I have my first check and can eat over the three day weekend.

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Guess you have a good job?

My parents are well off, but I'm at the point where I cannot ask them for money.

Just got paid, but I have to be conservative with it. Did finally eat something other than ramen today though.:)

19. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I used to work for a radio station and radio doesn't pay when you're at the bottom. I can remember numerous times where I would dig up change in order to by bean burritos from Taco Bell or $0.89 hamburgers when those drive thru burger places were around. Interestingly enough, I gained weight even though I couldn't afford a "real" meal because the cheapest stuff is also the most fattening.

20. tozai

tozai Member

The homeless like libraries.