1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 26, 2016.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Way to go Phelps!

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Brazil failed to score on South Africa too.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let's face it.

Brazil is only 2nd tier in South America without Neymar and even with Neymar they aint that good.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They got 10 more guys on the pitch.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I love the Olympics. Go USA!

Australia having a great effort so far. 3 golds and 3 bronze in the early going, and despite the country's huge size (and the huge heart of her people), Australia has a smaller population than Texas. Go Aussies!

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I didn't realize I was subscribed to DeckardFacts™. :)

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

too many medal opportunities in swimming (too many events) which cheapens medal totals imho. one athlete shouldn't be able to dominate so many different events unless the events are not so different. and if they're not so different then why do they exist?

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

From my understanding, it is incredibly uncommon to master 2+ strokes to the level required for an olympian. Why would you penalize them for being on another stratosphere?

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

My argument that swimming events are too similar, stroke isn't enough. If you are an elite "swimmer," you can pile up the medals.

Another way to look at it, Usain Bolt. He is the greatest sprinter of all time perhaps and yet only has 6 Olympic golds so far. Why, because he runs as fast as he can for different distances but up to a point. The track events are not so similar that one guy (who is the greatest sprinter) can dominate them ALL like you see in swimming. With sprinters it's usually 100m, 200m, and relay. No matter how dominate they are (the greatest ever?!) they cannot go beyond those events and compete. That tells me they really are different events for different athletes. Also, no one tells Usain how to run either, it's the the fastest they can go with whatever running style they chose. There are no events for fastest sprinter, fastest shuffle, fastest skip, fastest jog, etc... That's what the different swim strokes feel like to me and I feel it gives swimmers an unfair advantage to pile up medals. Don't believe me, trust the data then. Here is a top 10 list of the most medals by American individuals of all time.

1.Michael Phelps United States 23 Medals Swimming
    2.Jenny Thompson United States 12 medals Swimming
    3.Dara Torres United States 12 medals Swimming
    4.Natalie Coughlin United States 12 medals Swimming
    5.Mark Spitz United States 11 Medals Swimming
    6.Matt Biondi United States 11 Medals Swimming
    7.Carl Osburn United States 11 Medals Shooting
    8.Ryan Lochte United States 11 Medals Swimming
    9.Carl Lewis United States 10 Medals Athletics
    10.Gary Hall, Jr. United States 10 Medals Swimming

What does this tell me? The USA is really great at swimming LOL!!! and apparently Gary Hall Jr. (who the fack is this?) is as great as Carl Lewis!!! :rolleyes:

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Yeah it was scary.van vleuten studied at my university when I studies there. I did not know her personally Buy I know some of her friends, it was a scary moment.

The end was amazing. The netherlands did get their gold that race.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Well the point of swimming is to get from point A to B. In track you have running and hurdles. Even hurdles requires a difference skill set. In swimming you have back stroke, butterfly stroke, breast stroke., and freestyle. They should have free style and get rid of everything else.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Awesome picture that helps explain why the Olympics are so great. Thanks for posting.

14. Isabel

Isabel Member

There is only one way to run, but there are four ways to swim. So you have that combined with whether the athlete is better at sprints or longer distances, medleys, and relays, and it adds up. Not to mention that the "default" stroke of freestyle is given several different distances, including the longer distance races. Usually the same people do not excel in more than one of these areas. Sure, the swimmers get a chance to rack up more total medals if they are multitalented, but some things are never going to be fair. The basketball team only has a chance at one medal, for example.

There are actually races that are held at your local open-entry meet that are not included in the Olympics. For example, the Olympics only has the 800 free (in terms of longer distances) for women and the 1500 for men. Most competitions have both for both.

15. SunsRocketsfan

you forgot my all time favorite Olympic sport. All the walking events... 10k walk 20k walk.. etc

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_cZcbtCRDqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. arno_ed

The woman volleybal game usa vs netherlands is close. 5th set.

17. NewRoxFan

Netherlands team is very good this year and beat China already. Kim Hill and Kelly Murphy are my favorites...

18. arno_ed

Not good enough it seems. Atleast for this game. Sloet is really good.

But the us defense is amazing. They really get a lot.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't remember the hate for the US being so strong in past Olympics. Every time fans tried to muster some support with a USA chant during the Volleyball game, they got booed down. It's been happening across a lot of the events too. Hope Solo has been taunted with zika chants and that has bled over into beach volleyball.

They hate us cause they anus?

20. NewRoxFan

I think in those sports (soccer and volleyball) the US "hate" is stronger as they are Brazil's first and second sports and the US is the primary competitor.