1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steph Curry is the 2016 Most Valuable Player

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Commodore, May 9, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I guess they didn't watch the playoffs.... must have been on vacation.

2. DunKingDanny

DunKingDanny Contributing Member

I believe the voting took place at the end of the season and before the playoffs.

3. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

steven curry is literally the worst player and person and fraud in nba history. he should never have ever been voted mvp ever. brb chucking up 3's off of only illegal 3's = mvp. yeah no. get lost steven curry you don't even run the offense and you're fking pg and you aren't even the 5th best player on your own team. you are trash and always will be trash

4. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

cant tell if you're trolling or not, but hell i'll bite. The only thing that bothers me with Curry is that he is gifted accolades and awards but isn't held to same standard guys like LeBron and Harden are. For example as much as we have seen Curry and the warriors on national tv the past 2 years, I cant believe people just started to realize he rarely guarded opposing pg's, and was always hidden on defense. He doesnt get called out for his defense the way Harden does, i dont care about the "he tries" argument. To me thats just making excuses for which you dont do for Harden, Curry doesnt carry near the load on offense that Harden does, so he should have plenty of energy to play both sides of the court. Max Kellerman was just on first take saying Harden wasnt a great player, never mind the tnt guys as well because of Harden and his defensive lapses.

The thing that got to me was after game 4 of the wcf when westbrook had the 30 point triple double, Barkley said that Curry should "rest" on defense and save his energy for offense. I kid you the **** not, my mouth literrally hit the floor. Shaq agreed with Barkley, my thing is so you give Harden "shaqtin a fool" for not playing defense and guarding his man. But then Curry is a back to back mvp for the same **t. CRAZY!!!!, PEOPLE SAY BUT WELL CURRY LED THE LEAGUE IN STEALS, yea but Harden has finished top 10 in steals for us numerous times, and his rep still is in the toilet when it comes to defense. So which is it, defense is important for superstars or is it only important when Harden isnt playing it

So being the conspiracy nut that I am, I have come down to a possible conclusion for why Harden puts up historic seasons every year and gets no respect from the media. Basically with Harden the media and nba voters say, "SO WHAT I SEE THE AMAZING STATLINE, BUT I WANT MORE.. MORE MORE!, and with Curry the opposite is true, he can get by playing one end of the court and thats enough for nba voters and the media to vote him all-nba first team, MVP whatever. I think because whether we wanna acknowledge this or not, the NBA under adam silver unlike with david stern has a colorism issue. Its basically a bunch of liberal NBA voters voting for players who closely relate to them, or who they could see themselves having a cup of coffee with rather than the best player. Thats the only reason i can think why on gods earth anybody would claim that klay thompson a guard who has never posted a PER above 19 in his career is on the same level as James Harden as a player

Again I am not saying that Curry is a bad player. Obviously he isnt, but is he that much better than James Harden. nope.. especially when you factor in defense. Harden is basically in a system with no movement where he goes iso all the time( that hurts your fg%), thats the offense Curry was in under Marc Jackson. With Steve Kerr, Curry gets more open looks and thus his PER has shot up. But if your asking me am I trading Harden for Curry... HELL NO, Harden in the right system can approach 50/40/88 as well he just needs to right coach, hope mike d is the guy for the job.

1 person likes this.
  5. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I think this is a joke. You trade Curry for Harden 9/10. the one time you don't is because you're worried about his feet. You do realize Harden gets hidden on defense too, and the caliber of players at PG far surpasses anything at SG...

The only difference is, Curry tries more often than Harden, basically all of the time Curry is chasing his player around. There's at least 2 possessions a game Harden forgets to play defense. Is that acceptable for you? I don't care if you're a gifted defender or not, all we ask you to do is try.

It definitely is funny Curry gets criticized for trying too hard while Harden gets criticized for not trying enough? You see the difference here??

Harden is easily one of the most gifted iso offensive players we have in the NBA, but if you ask 30 GMs who's skillset is easier to build a team offense around, it's likely Curry at least 29 times.

6. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

i think Currys body would break down carrying the load Harden has for us, the warriors have a stacked team. Just my opinion, Curry would have to play 4th quarters for us

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Sure, if you have a loaded squad already and just need someone to hit open jumpers.

8. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

All homerism aside, you seriously think the Rockets are the ones that say 'no' in a Curry-Harden trade?

9. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Come on let's be serious. You actually think curry gets that many open jumpers when the entire game plan is to stop curry.... And when he does get open jumpers it's because he's constantly moving and the play breaks down.

Also, What's open to curry is not open to pretty much everyone else in the NBA.

10. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

it goes both ways, i dont think les would agree to it. And i dont think Bob Myers would do it

Harden makes Leslie Alexander a LOT OF money

11. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I agree that curry isn't big enough to take the pounding driving to the rim harden does, even though curry is actually really strong.. His frame isn't there.

But the beauty of it is, when you have curry you don't need him to do what harden does for us.

12. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

Harden has the same range on his jumpers as Curry. Ive seen harden take 3's from well beyond the line and drain them.

13. Icehouse

Yes, I do. He's older, more fragile, and we don't have the surrounding talent for him to be successful. Or the system (Mike D needs a ball dominator that can get everyone looks).

14. Icehouse

I'm quite serious. He gets way more open looks than Harden due to the system that they run and the other offensive options on his team. If he played here folks would happily let Ariza, Bev and the like shoot all they want. Lord knows they wouldn't allow Howard to set illegal screens all game.

15. Icehouse

Actually, you would. He wouldn't need to get all his points going to the rim, but he would be relied on to carry a much heavier burden than he currently does. This team doesn't have the offensive help that his team does. That's plain as day.

16. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Curry can play off-ball, that's why you can build a system around him.

How many other top 10 players can (or are willing to) play off-ball?

17. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I think GSW gets overhyped on how many great scorers they have. You have Curry and Klay, and that's basically it. Sure, everyone else shoots like 40%, but they didn't before they were on the Warriors, and this is my point.

If Ariza and Bev were on the warriors, playing in their system, they would be in the same category (minutes the bball IQ/passing) as AI, Livingston, Barnes, etc, none of which are actually great scorers.

The GSW system requires the attention Curry creates off-ball.... The Houston system requires the attention Harden creates on-ball..

This is a huge difference. Curry bends the court when he's constantly running around pulling extra defenders, causing general confusion. The Harden system is everyone stand around the perimeter to watch Harden create a double team and hope he makes the right pass.

Also, Curry and Harden literally take the same number of shots, use the same amount of possessions on their teams. Harden actually shoots worse when a defender is 4-6 vs 2-4 feet.

check out these charts.

Harden
    [​IMG]

Curry
    [​IMG]

18. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

Thanks for somewhat agreeing with me but no need to sugar coat it. Steven curry IS a terrible player. The only thing he is good at is chucking up 3's off of only illegal screens. He has no handles even though he barely runs the offense and is a fking pg which is pathetic AF. People who think he has good handles can't distiguish good handles from steven's ability to my fast cuts while dribbling. Put his handles up against every pg in the league heck even sg's and sf's and steven's handles look pathetic. As far of his pathetic steals stat, steven is a player who's a product of the system. His team plays defense while steven is just a pesky sneaking little rat who plays the passing lanes. Easy AF to do when your team is doing the hard part. He is a terrible defender and it is seen night in and night out. Seeing him trying to guard westbrook during the conference finals was comical even though he was taken off and put on the worst player on the court at all times while still getting destroyed by the worst player on the court. But seeing him guard westbrook is like seeing a grown man play a 2 year old and not go easy on him. As far as the rest of his shot selection. He can barely dunk technically can't dunk by nba standards which is a joke because he is above average height for a pg at 6 foot 3. His layups are one of the most disgusting things i've ever seen. Dude has zero mid range. The only thing he can do is chuck up 3's off of only illegal screens and the whole thing of him getting 400 3's or beating his previous record by 100+ 3's is a joke. First off once again all he does is chuck up 3's off of only illegal screens. What changed from the previous year? Maybe the league allows him to come off of countless illegal screens. This is the biggest joke of a record in the history of the nba aside from the league donated 73 wins. Steven curry and the goon squad are the biggest jokes in nba history. Don't get me started on how steven curry is a fraud on his little "humble" act. He is fake AF and a terrible person.

19. Icehouse

Three of their starters have only played for the Warriors (Klay, Barnes and Green). That's their top players behind Curry, outside of Iggy. Iggy had season prior to GS where he shot the ball as well, and better.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/iguodan01.html

He was also an all-star and was used to more of an offensive load.

Livingston was barely healthy pre OKC. Barbosa has numerous seasons where he shot just as well pre GS.

PLENTY of offensive help on that team. Guys good off the ball and getting their own offense.

20. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Iggy had one season he shot unusually high, the rest of his career he shot 31%, and even on the Warriors he shoots 35%, below average shooter his entire career. Iggy doesn't bring you great scoring, ever, or on the Warriors. His value is in passing and defense. Yes he was an All-Star, one year, in the East.

Barnes is a mediocre offensive player, right now. He's going to average 17-18 next year still, but he's not by any means a great offensive player.

Green barely started hitting his shots this year. Every year before and in college he couldn't shoot.

So they have Curry and Klay like I said, and a bunch of average scorers. You put those same players on Houston watching Harden ISO, they won't be anywhere near as effective.