1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Westbrook closing in on 3 year extension to remain with Thunder

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Aug 3, 2016.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I still do not see why it is bad to go ring chasing, especially for guys who tried it for years to win one but were not blessed.

IMO both Lebron and Durant got their reasons.

I will not be following them closely but I respect both.

Why does the league need a villain?

Durant sucks at being one, you could say Lebron at least made a decent villain, he looks fierce with his Brawns

2. conquistador#11

it's okay when you're in the early 30s but not in your 20s prime. but especially now, people love being player only fans so they get erect for all of the talent teaming up.

3. rockets13champs

Harden and Westbrook both free agents 2018

4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Durant as well?:grin:

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Do they really want him and think he'll be there long term or are they buying back their trade leverage? I don't think see finishes that contract in OKC.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There is an obvious difference between what most ring chasers do and what Durant did.

7. Lightsnowaction

Westbrooke is a franchise cornerstone top 5 player, maybe even top 3, you don't give those players contract extensions just to trade away.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Why wouldn't he be there long term?

He has a brand and a legacy to protect, and it is only further enhanced if he stays with one team.

Second, it's the best short term situation for him (Vic, adams, Kanter). And long term if they land a FA.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Brand to protect? In OKC? That's why Durant left.

Y'all ganged up on me when I said KD probably leaves OKC, kept giving me the - he'll SIGN FOR 1 MORE YEAR - runaround...

I could be right, I could be wrong.

I don't think he finishes the contract in OKC.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Buying back the trade leverage is a must. But they just really want him. There is arguably no more exciting player in the league. In the real world of NBA mgmt, and not fantasy Dreamcasting trades that could never happen, I'd never trade him, unless he forced it.

Hell, you have to take care of that coach too. I want Donovan to stay for another contract, and he might bolt if I lose both KD and WB

11. arjun

arjun Member

You don't trade top 3-4 talent. Westbrook is a cornerstone franchise guy. Much respect.

1) Lebron
    2) Durant
    3) Westbrook
    4) Curry
    5) Harden
    6) Kawhi
    7) Lillard
    8) CP3
    9) Cousins
    10) AD

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We'll see how much "respect" you have for WB when he goes to the Lakers (or somewhere else) in 2018 for 35% of the cap.

I respect WB and his agent for being smart enough to copy Harden's deal. That is all.

13. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I am not sure a Russel Westbrook led team can even make the playoffs.

This guy want to do all by himself. His stat will be mind-blowing next season but I am not sure his team will succeed.

14. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

much respect for russell...

**** kd

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really sure what would be wrong with that. he can easily just not extend his contract and just bolt after this year. hes now giving OKC a chance to build the team around him for the next couple years to see how it goes. props to him there imo for not taking an easy way out.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

he had them above .500 just 2 seasons ago when KD was out. Yes he can lead a team to make the playoffs. hes an mvp caliber player. anyone who doubts that is really going to see this year

17. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

At first I didn't like the Harden deal where we essentially extended him for 1 more year but in hindsight after Westbrook's deal, it makes sense. The money there will need to be spent either way so why not lock in your star player.

Sure it's only a 1 year extension but it gives the team another year of time to develop the roster and team to try to make things work. Otherwise, they'll be forced to trade Westbrook this year.

So good move on OKC's part. You can't find another player of Westbrook's impact at the 1 that easily.

18. MONON

MONON Member

Well, Durant did sign the 1 year contract. He just shocked most of us by signing with GS.

As far as RW goes, he followed Harden's example (hey! That's a good idea!). Whether he finishes that contract in OKC or not depends on how well OKC does during the extension.

Course I used that same logic with Durant also. ;)

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

It may shock you, but I predicted a 60% chance with GS. Durant made a logical choice to join GS to make sure that he has a chance to get a ring or he is one injury away to miss a chance to get one. Last year injury may have something to do with his decision too.

20. Raz

Raz Member

Nope, Harden is under contract until 2019 with a Player Option for 2020.