1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Khizr Khan speech at DNC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Katrina Pierson is taking all of the blame, but I saw a military advisor to trump say it first. He was cut off with a "we don't want to speculate" and he responded by saying he had researched the issue and found that.

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

Is anyone concerned what nutjobs like Rocketslegend will do when their supreme leader loses the election?

I seriously can't comprehend how its possible that Trump could be the next president. Like my whole purpose of voting is to vote for who I truly believe will be the best candidate and it's at the point where it's like I have to pick one candidate over the other because of how ridiculous the other candidate is.

After typing it out, is that how Trump supporters feel? They can't comprehend how Hillary is a candidate so by default they are supporting Trump?

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

After two decades of being told government is the problem they feel the need to blow it up at any cost. It was always the inevitable end result of the GOP/Tea Party/Astroturf strategy but like always, focusing on the next election (or economically the next quarter) they were too short-sighted to see it.

1 person likes this.
  4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is insane absolutely insane.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Katrina Pierson is right though!

Donald Trump, while playing a reality TV show character, never casted a vote in Congress in favor of the Iraq War!

So... that's something. It's not something that has anything to do with the topic of discussion, but... it's something.

6. justtxyank

Underreported that in addition to his flip flop on Iraq, he apparently did a video statement supporting the Libya policy that he now says he opposed and blames Clinton for.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Trump attacks on Khan Family and Judge Curiel are widely seen by voters as inappropriate and racist. <a href="https://t.co/iNKVLWYcHc">pic.twitter.com/iNKVLWYcHc</a></p>&mdash; sean. (@SeanMcElwee) <a href="https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/760873765131653121">August 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Some poll results on this. 43% of those surveyed approve of the "Muslim ban," but only 19% support Trump's handling of the Khan family criticism. Not surprising. A good # of people are freaked out over San Bernardino and Orlando but that doesn't mean they don't recognize an ******* when they see one.

8. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Ben Carson Says Khan Family Should Apologize to Trump

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ben-carson-khan-family-apologize-trump/story?id=41099080

10. justtxyank

I'm on the side that thinks Trump has handled this really poorly, however, I also want to point that Mr. Khan is incredibly disingenuous. He continually says he isn't trying to be political and that he doesn't want to get into a fight with Trump, but in every interview he gives he will say that Trump can't be president, that he isn't fit to be commander in chief, that he has no understanding of the Constitution, etc. And then he'll end the interview with some sort of statement about wanting this to end to preserve his dignity and that of his son. Yet he is the one going on every show that will have him to stoke this controversy even more.

Trump has handled this wrong and is rightly called to the carpet for being the ahole that he is, but the media is also letting Mr. Khan get away with driveby attacks that go unchallenged.

#550 justtxyank, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

lololol the Khans are "over" Trump ****ting on Muslims for the entirety of his campaign?

I'm sure Trump IS over getting his ass handed to him by these two.

12. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For Mr. Khan, unfortunately and as is the case for many targeted minorities, the personal is political. When a demagogue running for president condemns people of your profile as non-American and a threat to the nation when you have personally lost your son in service to the country, then there is no line between personal and political. For Mr. Khan, who migrated to this country and whose family loves it so much that their son served and died for it, he sees his personal story being politicized in Trump's anti-muslim immigration rhetoric. Mr. Khan knows the direct connection between the presidential election and his, and families like his, personal lives.

Mr. Khan is fighting for his son's honor on behalf of muslims like him. And the more Trump and his surrogates try to poison the well and dig in, the more Mr. Khan will fight. And Mr. Khan has given Trump an easy out: just show some empathy and let it go.

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I don't entirely disagree, but at the end of the day one of them is running to become President of the United States and one is a private citizen. The only difference between Khan and one of your liberal friends posting about Trump on Facebook is that Khan's reach and platform is bigger.

And of course unlike Trump, Khan has a rational motivation for keeping this story in the news.

14. JeffB

Supporting Member

Well, that and the fact that Khan is a muslim whose son died in the service of the war against terrorism.

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I mean, I was specifically referring to - you know what, nevermind. Whatever.

1 person likes this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes Ben Carson is close to being as crazy as Trump is

17. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't wait for the Katrina Pierson p*rn spinoffs.

18. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Kahn go away.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Wow. That was brutal. A perfect encapsulation of the Trump campaign.

20. JeffB

Supporting Member

Khan's commander offers his voice:

I was Capt. Khan’s commander in Iraq. The Khan family is our family.
    Humayun was one of 36 men and one woman in our brigade who died during our year in Iraq. Our fallen comrades were of all races, religions and genders. They represented sacrifice, service, duty and the essence of what makes our country great. And, yes, it is a great country right now. Despite our flaws, the United States remains a beacon of hope around the world.

Blue Star families are those with a member deployed to combat in the service of our country. Gold Star families are families that have lost a loved one in a combat zone. In our military culture, we hold Blue Star families in the highest regard. But we have absolute reverence for our Gold Star families.

I join all those who stand in support of the Khan family. This family is our family, and any attack on this wonderful American Gold Star family is an attack on all patriotic and loyal Americans who have sacrificed to make our country great. Any politically or racially motivated attack on the Khans is despicable and un-American.

I am no politician. I have stayed away from politics my entire adult life. My family has been Republican ever since my maternal grandparents migrated from Jim Crow South Carolina to Philadelphia in the late 1920s. My grandmother voted for Herbert Hoover in 1928. Though I am a Republican, I have voted my conscience — for both Democrats and Republicans — for the past 32 years. I’m going to vote my conscience again this year.

We live in a dangerous and complex world. We need leaders who are steady, patient and empathetic, especially at the national level, during this troubled time. We need somebody who has respect for our Gold Star families.

But, above all, our country needs more men and women like Humayun Khan and the countless others who willingly and humbly served this great nation of ours without reservation or recognition.

“Duty First!”