1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Hopkins starts holdout

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 30, 2016.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

There's a lot wrong here. Who cares who the best WR is? The issue is how to construct a team designed for sustained success. NE and Seattle have been the elite teams the past few years. How much have they paid their WRs?

2. YaosDirtyStache

Weakest hold out Ive seen since that time I tried to hold in a fart at Splashtown.

3. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

really hoping we don't lose him next year...

this screams lack of loyalty on the texans part too...

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Patriots will pay 19.7M and Seattle 16.8M for their WRs this season. Texans will pay 8.6M, 2nd to last in the league. Pats and Seahawks will also have the 1st and 3rd highest payroll for their TEs. Wanna guess who will spend the least?

Not that I think any of this really matters but since you asked.

#244 gucci888, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Lack of loyalty? Texans have payed their stars when the time came. Didn't Cushing get money after an ACL tear? Andre said he was unhappy with his contract and they extended him too.

Has there been a time when the Texans were disloyal? Isn't one of the knocks on the team is they are too loyal?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans have a long standing policy where they do not negotiate with players while they are holding out. They never have, they never will. The policy is that the player has to show up before any negotiation can begin and the negotiation period ends at the start of the season. Holding out only delays starting negotiations and shortens the window where the team is willing to make a deal.

It's literally impossible for the Texans to lose Nuk in the next 4 years unless they want to lose him. Also, in no way does it even suggest lack of loyalty, it's just them showing that they won't bow to bully tactics when a player has no leverage. Simple as that. They've made every other player go by the same rules, why would they change them for Nuk?

7. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So Hopkins has 1 awesome season and wants to be paid for it and the Texans want to see him do it again before breaking the bank? Is that what is happening here?

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Looks like it , glad hops realized his best course of action while also kinda making a point

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He's probably mainly upset Fuller (rookie) is making more than him.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Andre had 1400 yards at the age of 32. Unless you're saying he lost his freak athleticism at 33, which is still a good long career no matter how much he's disliked right now.

11. JeffB

Supporting Member

Sounds reasonable. These things matter a lot to players.

Based on the production of 2 seasons, I can see the Texans paying the man, but not paying him what he probably wants based of of his 1 incredible season. If he does this season what he did last season, he will probably get what he is asking for. It fits the Texans M.O. to give it to him at that point. They are going to pay him. They want to.

------

DeAndre Hopkins says holdout wasn't message to Texans

HOUSTON -- Texans receiver DeAndre Hopkins says he "wasn't trying to send a message" with his brief holdout before reporting to his first practice of training camp on Monday.

In his first public comments since the holdout, Hopkins repeatedly pushed questions regarding his contract status toward his agent and the Houston front office, led by general manager Rick Smith.

"They handle that," Hopkins said of his representatives and the Texans, when asked if he had been told from either side that he would not be receiving a new contract this season. "All I do is go out here and play football. I let them do the negotiating."

Hopkins, who is entering the fourth year of his rookie contract, did not report to the first practice of Houston's training camp on Sunday. That absence earned him a $40,000 fine. By the afternoon, Hopkins said in a statement to ESPN that he would be returning to the team, adding that he was "disappointed" that the Texans had elected not to enter into contract negotiations.

"I wasn't trying to send a message or anything like that," Hopkins said after Monday morning's practice. "I was doing what I felt like was best for me and my family."

By reporting to practice before Wednesday, Hopkins will now be eligible to collect his $445,004 roster bonus on Thursday.

Despite efforts to downplay Hopkins' contract status and focus on football, the spectacle of his situation was evident throughout Monday's practice. After his media session concluded, Hopkins went to sign autographs for fans in attendance at NRG Park -- and a chant of "Pay the Man!" broke out.

Hopkins, who had 111 catches, 1,521 yards and 11 touchdowns a year ago while working with four different quarterbacks, seemed to quickly find a groove with new starter Brock Osweiler. The pair hooked up for multiple "touchdowns" in seven-on-seven drills at Monday's practice.

"It feels great [to be back]," Hopkins said. "I play football, that is what I love doing. I love my teammates, coaches and this organization.

"I just have to keep working," he said, alluding to questions regarding his contract. "Everything will work itself out. All I've got to do is come out here and prove what I'm worth. I'm not rushing it. It'll come one day."

Because the Texans picked up the fifth-year option on Hopkins' contract in May, he effectively has two seasons remaining on his current deal. Smith said Sunday that the team's position was "firm" that it would not negotiate with Hopkins this season, adding Monday that he was "excited and happy" to see Hopkins report to camp.

Head coach Bill O'Brien had largely stayed out of the fray, commenting Sunday that he was solely focused on the coaching the guys who were present. On Monday, however, O'Brien noted that the team's offense looked significantly improved with Hopkins in the mix.

"I thought we were a lot better today and a lot more crisp," O'Brien said.

"Anytime you have that presence, that is really good for your team," he said, referring to a question about Hopkins' return.

Owner Bob McNair said Monday that he was pleased with Hopkins' return, adding that the contract would be dealt with at an appropriate time.

"I'm happy that he's back," McNair said in a statement. "I think it's in his best interest for him to be here. We'll deal with his contract at the proper time. We take care of our players, and we'll take care of him."

Hopkins was a first-round pick by Houston in 2013. The Texans extended their first-round picks in 2011 and 2012, J.J. Watt and Whitney Mercilus, as they entered their fourth seasons.

But Smith said Sunday that the team had decided it was "not the right time" for a revised contract with Hopkins. In the meantime, Hopkins says his focus is exclusively on football and building chemistry with Osweiler and the rest of Houston's revamped offense.

"From where we started at to where we are now, we've come a long way," Hopkins said.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . we will all understand when his contract is up . . . and he make his position known and will not be reasonable about changing it . . .. . .

When he walks into the Negotiations and says. . . I want Joe Flacco money at least!!! We will back him to the hilt . . . .right?

Rocket River

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I think it's a stupid move but Nuk's agenda was to let the Texans know he is not above holding out when the real time comes.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, at least hold out for one day. :eek:

15. JeffB

Supporting Member

That's his prerogative. The team can pay him or trade him at that point. If, in the end, Hopkins gets paid, then good for him. It's a business. And he will need that money as the CTE creeps in.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Anyone who suggest trading Hopkins, especially before we see what kind of QB Brock is, should be banned from the internet.

:p

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, you don't trade a guy like Hopkins when you have him under team control for 4 more years.

18. makman

makman Member

Nothing crucial. He wanted to send a message and it was done. We've always taken care of players. AJ, Foster, Cushing, Watt, Mercilus, Kareem, Brown, Newton, and Joseph all got contracts.

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Honey Badger just got a 5 year deal with 40M guaranteed. Another 2013 draftee...I'm sure Deandre and his camp are taking notice.

20. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was going into the last year of his deal since he wasn't a first round pick, so it's not the same.

EDIT: Not sure if it had to do with not being a first rounder, but Badger was set to be a UFA in 2017 while Nuk will be in 2018.

#260 crose, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016