1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Hopkins starts holdout

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

that was worth $40k?

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DeAndre Hopkins is returning to Texans camp. <a href="https://t.co/1R5KIcDKjw">pic.twitter.com/1R5KIcDKjw</a></p>&mdash; Adam Rank (@adamrank) <a href="https://twitter.com/adamrank/status/759819598254395392">July 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Remix

Remix Member

Pretty obvious he was getting bad advice from his newly hired agents. Holding out when the team has control for at least 2 more years when they have shown a history of not negotiating with hold outs? lol...

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

LMAO already.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

His leadership made him look like a desperate loser.

Deandre you are a winner in my book, but come on.... You would have been ok if you butted up and sat past August 4th.

Top notch organizational move today putting it on Hop as reason things aren't done.

Slow clap for McNair and Smith not tolerating desperation.

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hopkins really need to exercise some patience. The Texans will pay him his just do. Very unprofessional of him going public knowing we always takes care of our own.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Based on the timing right after Rick Smith got his extension, my guess is he just got extremely mad, lost his ****, and didn't think it through.

I'm guessing he's still every bit as mad at the Texans.

Also, the more I think about it, drafting 3 WR's over the last couple of years begins to look like a negotiating tactic. They hope to push his usage way down this year in the hope of getting a better deal, and he wants to get paid on last year's high volume numbers. It seems like a very Patriots type move.

BTW, Will Fuller is getting paid more than DeAndre Hopkins this year. That makes his anger seem a little more understandable to me. But I'm guessing his reps are also shooting for highest paid in the league, which the Texans don't want to pay.

8. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

I'll never blame NFL players for holding out.
    Some NBA players make stupid money and are nowhere near as talented.
    Rick Smith extension?

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The main issue behind all this is not that Hopkins doesn't have a new deal already. It's that the Texans weren't willing to negotiate.</p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/759827568056860672">July 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hopkins said in his statement he wanted to do a presser at 3 today, but that will be pushed back. Expected to talk tomorrow. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/759830724685934592">July 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

Hopkins' trying to holdout:

[​IMG]

12. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Smith had all the leverage. Hopkins is not the brightest guy so who knows if this was him or the new agents but either way at least he is in and I am sure either a new deal or a long holdout will happen in 2017

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    I hate to say I told you so... oh who am I kidding, I love to say I told you so! I was right about how the Texans would approach things and the approach succeeded.

Two possible scenarios that led to this conclusion:
    1. Hopkins has a good heart and decided this was a bad idea for the sake of the team.
    2. Hopkins, who has very little negotiating experience, just got railroaded by a group of professional negotiators.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Losing 40K a day will make you think twice about holding out. Especially when you're not making that tye of money to do so.

Not a well thought out plan by Hopkins and his agent.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well at least he was smart enough to not cost himself any more money. Now that he's showed back up, the team will probably start working with him on a long term deal. Bully tactics simply don't work when you have no leverage whatsoever.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Irrelevant. This is about the NFLPA and the owners.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Agreed 100%

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Pay the man. It's ridiculous not to take care of your best offensive player. The guy is a beast on that field.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

They will pay him his just do. Hopkins needs to exercise some patience. They paid Schaub, Cushing, Foster, Mercilus and JJ Watt.

20. ln3012

ln3012 Member

seriously. we've got to stop w/ the terrible comparisons to the NBA.