1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Democratic National Convention

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jul 20, 2016.

1. nono

nono Member

Obama is such a huge asset to the Democratic Party. It's like having a grenade in a knife fight.

2. nono

nono Member

or a gun. Just has the knack to make people listen when he's talking. Bill had a great speech yesterday but today when Obama spoke it seemed everyone had tears in their eyes.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So after 8 hours of reading about candidate platforms going back 12 elections, I've come to realize platforms are not mandates or promises, they are simply the maximum a candidate is willing to fight for American citizens.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obama is sincere in his love of this country and his belief in citizenship. He doesn't put himself at the center, he puts the values and principles that define this nation at the center. His sincerity encourages to listen. That and his swag, of course.

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I understand your concern, but these people are not mostly crazy uneducated and/or bigots.

They are scared of threats they perceive to be real. We all know that when you perceive something to be real, then it is real to you and it feels real. If you believed in your head ISIS is banging on your door, you would freak out even if it weren't true outside of your head.

The only point I'm making here is we should get out of the habit of bullying and chiding and mocking people in fear. This is not a happy moment for many people voting Hillary. Trump voters are voting in fear of enemies, and Hillary voters are voting in fear of Trump and Trump voters. You may not be voting for Hillary for THOSE reasons, but many many Trump voters are also not voting our of fear - this is anecdotal and irrelevant. The truth is these are fear campaigns, both of them, and both of them say they will do many positive things to make america great.

This is a scared and frightened country at the moment. You can see it in the politicians, you can see it in police officers, you can see it in disenfranchised communities, you can see it everywhere. If you want to **** on Trump, then by all means, go for it. But I really don't know if it's wise to be piling it onto regular working people who are already scared. Think about your daily life and whether you would ever consider verbally assaulting a scared person if you saw them scared. How would you want them to act if you were as scared? What if Donald Trump becomes President, would you want an egotistical non-frightened Trump supporter to come and call you uneducated while you're worried about the impending real life changing axe of xenophobia and bigotry falling on the country?

Never forget who your true enemy is, whoever it is. Societal regression is the worst possible outcome from this, don't fan those flames IMO. These people want a better party and a better candidate, like most liberals want a better party and a better candidate. They are your people, Hillary and Trump are not your people.

1 person likes this.
  6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I disagree. Sure, that may have been hyperbole saying all Trumpers are either uneducated, crazy, or bigoted, but there are far less educated, sane, non-bigoted Trumpers. Just do a simple facebook test. Go to the Donald Trump page, see which one of your 'friends' 'like' the page. Where would you rank these people on intelligence, success, sanity vs the rest of your friends? Take an especially close look on where the women in this group rank vs the rest.

Of course I wouldn't verbally assault someone I thought was scared, but I don't think that's the dynamic in play here with Trumpers. It's much more dumbed down than that. They are simply pulling for their 'team' as in sports, and want to see a win for the 'red team'. This is why I ridicule blind supporters so much. These people have no idea of the issues at hand. I've even asked a few of my 'friends' who are the most outspoken on facebook - 'Why do you hate Obama? Why do you hate Hillary? Which issues are affecting your every day life the most? What will Trump fix?' Shockingly, none of them had any answers other than 'uhuhuhuhuhuh Benghazi! Emails! Hacks!' **** that has zero effect on their every day lives.

I honestly think the real problem boils down to education (same with the cops vs BLM stuff... dumb cops mess up, dumb BLM people do stupid ****). I've never been political in my life. I just can't stand stupidity, no matter what side it's coming from. And we are seeing a lot of stupidity this election cycle, with more of it coming from Trump's side.

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Certainly they will be more ignorant of the issues important to you than they are of issues important to them. Just like you are more ignorant of issues important to them. Everyone believes genuinely that their issues are more important. Important to reiterate: they GENUINELY believe it. There are no evil people in the world, except Karl Malone of course.

Ignorance does breed fear though, that's the take away. They may be ignorant enough to think that ISIS is a greater issue than a veteran committing suicide every 65 minutes in America. That's ignorant. And we should all share information that enriches us and reduces ignorance, and promote education for all.

But here's the thing: they actually, really, genuinely believe it. Sometimes when you are not watching, there's a mother watching her child quietly with tears in her eyes scared of maybe a terrorist attack some time in the future. She is really crying, she is really actually scared. Imagine if it were your mother. And then the tv comes on and MSNBC puts on a story of Bush wanting to bomb Iraq and then they call his supporters uneducated.

Are you going to yell at that person? A person who is scared or hungry or desperate does not consume information as well as everyone else. How are you going to get educated when paranoia infests your mind? Why is it that Muslims integrate so much better into communities that don't demonize them? Why is it that poor children are underperforming, are they dumb or do you think maybe it's because of their environment? How are you going to get educated when the person calling you an idiot is the one leading the charge?

They are scared and you are too. You are scared of Trump, and you should be. Time to foster your country to a place where you can have a serious discussion about community relations. These are your people, your neighbours, your employees and managers, your co workers and classmates. Don't participate in the hate culture. Some Trump supporters are despicable, but MOST are people who want a better future just like you do. The only people who do not act in correlation with what they believe to be the best long term future is these corrupt politicians. Everyone else is intending to do what they believe is best for the future. Most of these politicians actions are not correlated with what most people want.

Me and you might be gone one day and our kids or nephews or nieces might end up ignorant and full of fear if we're unlucky. Would you want someone to shout at them and call them ignorant? Or do you want your community to calm them down, build a relationship and move towards sharing knowledge and information with each other?

I can't imagine what you must be feeling as an American watching Trump and the bad apples among his supporters acting so hateful and divisive. You don't want this for your country, and you shouldn't. But the best way to avoid it IMO is not to profile, stereotype, attack, insult his supporters who tend to be poor, old, disenfranchised people. It's too important a thing to leave to a facebook test. Just try telling them you feel for them being scared, although you're not scared of what they're scared of. Don't try to educate at the point of fear. Just talk about how they/you feel, you will find you have a lot in common, and you will find that there is a commonality between the people hurting you and those hurting them. Then go from there, see what happens. who knows.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

El gnomo, you need to stop being full of yourself.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The GOP is not out of power, they own the House and the Senate. Just look, you've had a terrific Democratic President for 7 years and the only real program approved was the Republican ACA.

While the DNC has been a super rally for POTUS, they really should have spread the emphasis to "Party" and down ballot voting. THE most important issue over the next 4 years will be confirming Supreme Court Justices. Specifically ones who would overturn the effects of Citizens United and gerrymandering. The Democrats should have been hammering obstructionism and blaming the Republicans for the failures of Congress, very specifically the failure to vote on Merrick Garland.

#569 Dubious, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  10. amaru

amaru Member

Oh yes, he has the gift of rhetoric. President Obama also has the ability to make people listen to what he's saying. Watching his speech last night drove the sad fact home even more.....we are downgrading this time around.

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Obama is truly exceptional at reading words that someone else wrote from a teleprompter -- perhaps the best in the world at it. As I have meticulously outlined and proven in the past, Democrats and liberals are most often persuaded by emotional arguments. Obama plays off of emotions with his style of speech (righteous indignation / preacher). Conservatives and Republicans are most often persuaded by arguments that appeal to logic. Conservatives become apprehensive when someone tries to persuade them using emotions because they feel it's a form of deception/manipulation. Liberals react much differently. You can show a liberal a picture of a starving animal and ask them for money, and they would give it to you. Conservatives would ask what the money would be used for, what the odds of success are, how the money would be managed, etc. This, in part, explains why our national debt is approaching $20 trillion dollars and why Obama has more than doubled it in his time in office.

Where Obama falls short is in governing and in leading. He has never been able to escape the mode of campaigning...and that has led to an inability to get things done and bring people together. You can't bring someone to your side while you are simultaneously denigrating them, which he does. It's why America is so divided today and it's why 70% of Americans believe our country is on the wrong track. Obama has had almost 8 years to implement his ideas, and clearly we have major problems and issues. It's time for a change.

GOOD DAY

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Aren't hate, fear, anger, bigotry emotions as well?

1 person likes this.
  13. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

BOOM!

GOOD DAY

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Off topic, and can't see the pictures, but from your sig it sure seems like you have a great collection of guitars.

15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Well said. The only thing Trump appeals to is emotion, because there is no rational argument or justification for voting for Trump.

16. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

LOL, I just love how you shut down TJ in 8 words when he used so many more.

Premium post, good sir.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

TJ is a cartoon, only using words instead of bright colors.

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Trump is attracting many angry white voters who are worse off today due to globalization and automation, they think throwing out the Mexican immigrants prevent Muslims from entering this country will some how bring back the "good old days" of the 1950s. What they do not realize is there is no going back to that time period, and Trump will make their lives worse if he is elected, but when you are desperate, you just want change, any change, it is really sad.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That was a top notch speech. One of the best I have heard and seen.

He has gotten better over the year.

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Educational Post]
    And that is where your logic fails. Hate, fear, anger and bigotry is the emotional thinker's flawed interpretation of border security policies and immigration vetting policies. It's also the emotional thinker's flawed interpretation of support for law enforcement. There is no hate, bigotry or fear involved as conservatives react to policy proposals that deal with America's major issues. The liberal leadership attempts to manipulate the liberal foot soldiers (Jon Gruber and Ben Rhodes have admitted to doing so) into having the emotional response to conservative positions. Yes, you are being manipulated and falling right into the trap. Your response proves my point to be 100% true. Independent thinkers, and logical thinkers, do not fall victim to these tactics.

GOOD DAY