1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seattle/Vancouver Late December

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by itony, Jul 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. itony

itony Member

Hey guys

Planning a trip to Seattle and gonna take the train over the border like the last week of Dec/first week Jan.

I know it's gonna be pretty cold and the regular drizzle but is it worth it during this time to go up there weather-wise?

Any recommendations on things to do/places to see/ things to eat?

2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I live in Seattle, you can expect it to be raining all day, every day that time of the year but you may get lucky. If you are going to ski at whistler when you are in Canada, it's a good time to go but otherwise, I'd recommend visiting this area anytime from July-September. It's pretty much clear skies and 70s-80s everyday in those months, best time to visit imo.

3. Kate81

Kate81 Member

In Vancouver, go to neighborhood Gastown for restaurants and bars.

It will rain or sprinkle everyday, but walking around will be bearable. City is as pretty as they say.

4. Pete the Cheat

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So, Heaven?

6. kubli9

Supporting Member

Indeed, I spent the first 35 years of my life in Texas, I didn't know that summer could actually be an enjoyable time of year until I moved to the PNW.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Summer time is amazing there. We visited Seattle, Vancouver and drove up to Whistler last year. I want to say a poster here took my advice and did the same and loved it.

8. itony

itony Member

dang wish we could go during that time sounds great but late december is our only time free to go on vacation somewhere.

probably a no to the skiing this time. we want to eat and walk around.

Just curious if it's raining all the time, do guys up there wear boots or what? Bc all of my shoes have that mesh for breathability:(

9. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Buy the Seattle CityPass. I bought one when I went to Toronto with my family and it saved us a lot of money and gave us ideas on sites to check out. CityPass ftw!

10. Nook

Nook Member

Seattle/Vancouver is most known for their choice heroin.

11. kubli9

Supporting Member

You can count on there being a light drizzle and cloudy skies but like I said, you may get lucky. It isn't the type of rain you need an umbrella for but you'll want to wear a waterproof jacket and shoes that water won't get through easily. As far as things to do in Seattle, I'd recommend Ballard and Fremont as cool places to go for walking around, eating, breweries, etc. I second the gastown area of Vancouver for the same.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If you're on the Canadian side, I think going to Victoria (Vancouver Island) is always fun. Totally different from Vancouver but its a really great place to visit. You can even go by ferry from Anacortes in the US or from the port in Vancouver. Unfortunately, you picked a bad time weather wise but it'll still be fun nonetheless.

13. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I live in Ballard - it's a great place to burn an afternoon. Most of the breweries are within walking distance of each other. Stoup and Lucky Envelope are our favorites. Happy hour at Ballard Annex is cheap and delicious - you might also check out Walrus and Carpenter if you are seeking fancier fare. Red Mill Burgers is pretty amazing (both the burgers and fish and chips) and is right across from the Ballard Locks.

Fremont is great as well - make sure to check out the troll. Roux is probably our favorite restaurant in that neighborhood - new orleans style fair. Great beignets.

Other good eats - Jack's BBQ downtown (owner is from Dallas), Ivars in Greenlake, Whale Winds in Fremont, Maneki's in the International District (great sushi, old school), Wandering Goose in Capitol Hill (brunch), Brouwer's in Fremont (great beer selection there as well).

Nightlife - Not sure what you are into but there are some great music venues here. SeaMonster in Wallingford and Nectar Lounge in Fremont are my favorites - they get some monster R*B and Funk players.

Have fun, man. Seattle is a beautiful city - you may not want to leave.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Paseo and Pike Place Chowder are the #1 and #2 restaurants in Seattle. I went to Paseo and loved it. Expect lines.

I really loved and was amazed of the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit. I think it's a must to check this place out.

Seattle night life was pretty bad. Vancouver's was better.

#14 sammy, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  15. itony

itony Member

best place for some poutine?

16. Buck Turgidson

Go to San Diego and visit the Northwest some other summer.

17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I plan to retire in the Pacific NW, and yet, I agree with this. Then on the other hand, the more people that visit in December.....might mean the less people I'll have to fight with buying up property. If you still plan on going though.....and if you enjoy a truly wonderful dining experience, skip the train, rent a car, and between Seattle and Vancouver, take the ferry over to Lummi island and eat here: https://www.willows-inn.com/

Chef Blaine won the rising star chef of the year James Beard in 2014, and then last year he brought home the best chef Northwest award. As humble as can be, he'll personally serve you one or two of the dozens of small bites you'll have at that meal. It's awesome; I had become jaded and thought there wasn't anything more to see in fine dining. He changed all that.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  18. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Its gonna be cold. I wouldn't do the umbrella, just a hooded jacket every time you step out.

19. kubli9

Supporting Member

Mean Poutine in Vancover, it's just a window off the street with no seating but damn it's good.

20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Go to Whistler anyway. They deck it out nice for Christmas. Good eating too. Bring your VISA.