1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How can I store all photos and videos from iphone 6 to icloud?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by houstontexans, Jul 25, 2016.

1. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

Hey guys, I need to store all the photos and video somewhere because my iphone 6 is almost full of storage. So I decided to use icloud to transfer photos from iphone to icloud and purchased 50gb for $0.99 a month, although I have no idea how it works. When I went to icloud photo library in iphone setting, it said that I have low disk space and it is uploading 1,749 items. What does that mean? When I go to icloud website on PC, I do not see any photos transferred from iphone. Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks for helping me out

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Straight from the Apple website since I don't use iCloud:

Tap Settings > iCloud. If you're using iOS 8 or later, tap Storage > Manage Storage.

Tap the name of your iOS device.

Under Backup Options, turn off any apps that you don't want to back up.

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i know a few iPhone users that use the google photos app in addition to iCloud.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Personally, I'd go with Google Photos over icloud.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I just happens automatically for iPhone users. There's no upload button just like Pied Piper.

6. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

How come I don't see any photos and videos in I cloud? Is it taking awhile to upload to iCloud? How long it takes?

7. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

I believe if you save photos on iCloud then if you delete on your phone it will also delete in iCloud. It acts as a mirror of your current phone vs Google photos which actually acts as a proper online storage cloud.

Correct me if I am wrong but I remember reading that a while back.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Send them all to me and I'll store them in iCloud for you.

You can email them to me thru the forum.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Agreed. The assistant is a cool feature.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think this is correct. Also, I recall reading that your iPhone will upload to the cloud only when it's charging and connected to a wifi network.

11. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

I want to back up all photos/videos to icloud so that I can delete them on iphone to free up more space, will the photos and videos still be saved on icloud if I delete them on iphone?

12. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Is there an easy way to get photos from my iphone to a PC? You used to be able to simply plug in the cable and it saw it like a drive and you could copy, paste and even delete. Now it doesn't even let you copy.

I want to get some of the videos off my phone and have it on a PC, not just on icloud or the phone itself.

13. HR Dept

No, I don't think iCloud works that way.

14. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

Are you sure? Have you tried it?

My iphone is currently backing up photos and videos to icloud and will finish later today. It started yesterday and it is taking forever.

15. HR Dept

To my knowledge, if you delete it for your phone hen it will be deleted from iCloud. iCloud is designed to simply mirror what is currently on your phone, or what was on your phone in the past via backups.

Works perfectly when upgrading to a new or getting a replacement iPhone, not so much for practical cloud storage of pics.

16. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Yes after looking to it HR Dept is correct. iCloud is only a mirror. Suppose to work flawlessly if you have multiple Apple devices and want to see pics on different devices etc.

iCloud drive (costs money) is more like a permanent storage cloud but your stupid iPhone wont let you upload directly to iCloud drive. It only uploades to iCloud Photos.

Your best bet is using Google Photos. They even give you unlimited storage if you are willing to let them compress your files. If you want original sized photos/vids it will count against your storage. Google photos is legit though. Like ATW said the assistance feature alone is worth trying google photos.