1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Father speaks with his new transgender son

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dei, Jul 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I do wish people would stop suggesting that a person that is a transsexual is the same as a person who is gay. Being gay is a sexual preference, delusions that you are a different sex is a mental illness. They are in no way the same any more than a homosexual pedophile is the same as just someone who is homosexual. If I suggest that there is a mental illness involved with a 45 year old man who has sex with 12 year old girls, I'm not saying anything about heterosexuality.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

LMAO. So in your world, life altering surgery has a lower standard than a drug prescription.

And you actually said "We don't make policy by looking at suicide rates, because correlation is hard to prove." in response to me saying suicide rates were higher for those who had surgery. What you meant with that is clear. Your reasoning is BS as was your statement.

3. Bandwagoner

Of course they are including the guy who just said it shows failure of the parent. I am the one who made the point it is currently more socially acceptable to have the wrong freaking brain than to just have a sick brain.

4. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

If you came to me in person and told me that you think homosexuality is a mental illness, I would kick your ass. Keep that in mind while you go around spouting off stupidly bigoted opinions that don't have a place in modern society, Dei.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not all mental illnesses have biological roots, some are caused by traumatic experience. Obviously there are some cases that are merely biological so you can go to "sick brain" route, but there are others where a bad childhood or traumatic experience led to the "sick brain" and the parents failed in those situations.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you can give me the DSM-V code for that?

Or are you saying you know psychiatry better than the entire AMA put together, and that they should defer to your expertise?

Just another example of the Bobbythegreat-Duning-Kruger Effect.

7. Bandwagoner

You can't make that sort of blanket statement.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The DSM-V refers to it as "gender dysphoria", the ICD-10 refers to it as "Transsexualism" feel free to look it up so that you don't try to be clever and have it backfire in the future.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but parents would certainly feel that way if their child's mental illness potentially stemmed from traumatic experience. It very well could have been things outside of their control, but that usually doesn't stop parents from feeling guilt.

10. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

#90 Ottomaton, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Oh, you thought when I gave statistics about owning a gun or being a policeman or getting breast implants, I was talking about mental health care. Well, I wasn't.

You're still not getting it: when doctors prescribe something, they are giving their professional opinions, which patients are encouraged to heed. So doctors have to make sure they are not giving dangerous advice, for the sake of their patients and their own profession.

But doctors are not "death panels" or "life panels" disallowing people to do elective surgery based on suicide statistics.

12. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Tell me, then, what is the appropriate treatment for gender dysphoria, genus? The cure is matching external to internal, IE "trans"-ing genders. Being transgender is the treatment that removes the classification of gender dysphoria. Also, no psychiatrist would describe gender dysphoria as a "delusion". A delusion would be thinking that you have a vagina when you have a penis. Nobody is deluded about their physical attributes. The problem is their internal circuitry and their external characteristics, which everybody agrees exist, don't match.

Bobbie once again comments authoritatively on something he knows barely anything about.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DSM-V does not consider Transgender a mental illness contrary to what you think. You have no scientific foundation for saying it is a mental illness. This is your own bias.

14. supdudes

supdudes Member

Yeah common sense is good. Rationality is good.

I wouldn't call the 50 year old man who left a family of 7 kids and a single wife to become a kid victim less.

Personally I hope that is the extent of it.

I agree with you about the state part, 100%. People have a right to their opinion, and should not have their voices silenced.

15. Bandwagoner

This is the most pathetic backpedal I have ever seen. The post you quoted was short and clear and so was your response. You did include an incredibly weak attempt to conflate, but your ultimate statement was complete BS. Sad.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Harming yourself is an entirely different issue. If being a pretty pink unicorn makes someone happy then that is the OPPOSITE of harming one self.

As for your argument about Trans doctors then you have to realize that they don't just walk into there and get reassignment surgery. There is a pretty long waiting period and then it also has to be approved by parents or a legal guardian.

The way you put it makes it sound like a decision that is made willy nilly, when it isn't.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, the "treatment" is to play into their delusions in hope that they will have a happy life despite their illness. Of course, sometimes that just causes them to mentally crash later if they have a moment of clarity and realize that mutilating their genitals and dressing as a woman doesn't actually make them a woman. That's one of the reasons why the suicide rate is so high.

Since there's no cure for this illness, the best thing you can do is learn to live with it. There's no cure for pedophilia either.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Feel free to actually give specifics. Until then, I'm content to let you stew in your sadness.

19. Bandwagoner

I don't even know WTF you are talking about now. Your posts have been completely nonsensical and worthless. Fortunately, shooting down your BS has benefited the thread.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

For once I agree with you.