1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

The fact that the Rockets signed Ryan Anderson at PF (DMOs position) as their main off season acquisition points to a possible "fit" issue with DMO and his camp. For DMO this may lean more towards fit while trying to get a solid money contract. The Rockets currently have a plethora of Bigs.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe a reference to the-wayward Codman's intimations (Cod having connections to PHX, saying we have inquired after Tyson Chandler, although I imagine he wasn't the only Sun Morey would have asked about).

Otherwise.....kinda curious myself about the "trash offer".

3. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Curious what happens today with Blazers and Mo Harkless - last day for team to unilaterally pull qualifying offer <a href="https://t.co/PsPjzBvjpJ">https://t.co/PsPjzBvjpJ</a></p>&mdash; Eric Pincus (@EricPincus) <a href="https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/756877239921184769">July 23, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Teams can pull qualifying offers after today, but need player's permission and lose Bird rights - Harkless and Motiejunas the ones to watch</p>&mdash; Eric Pincus (@EricPincus) <a href="https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/756879288540856320">July 23, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. opticon

opticon Member

Finally some real news!

If DMO's qualifying offer still stands after this weekend at least one of the parties evolved still wants to do a deal.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is no reason for the Rockets to pull the QO they are far from the Lux tax and can afford to wait.

It could come down to DMo just taking the QO and betting on himself, which may be what the Rockets plan has been all along take a one year risk on him...and see.

Would be prudent - and not surprising.

DD

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree. They won't pull it today, because that makes him a UFA immediately (albeit with Bird Rights), so they could lose him for nothing much easier.

That said, there is still a reason you want to sign him longer vs him doing the QO, because you can't trade him for a year. I'm sure Morey would much prefer to retain trade flexibility at the deadline.

NOTE: Larry Coons FAQ states: "If the player really wants to leave, he can sign his original team's qualifying offer, which constitutes a one-year contract at a scale salary. He must then play with his original team for one season.". If I'm misreading that, and Rockets can still trade him, we would be trading a rental at the deadline, which historical has lower trade value.

#1186 heypartner, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

What DMo has been saying publicly has alluded to more of a multi-year deal. I wonder what we are offering as an alternative to the QO, if at all.

8. amaru

amaru Member

Sounds like D-Mo doesn't trust his back.

9. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

No reason for Houston to pull there QO. Dmo is the best player we could possibly still sign at this point. The fact that no team has offered Dmo has me seriously wondering about his back though. Which is a damn shame because 2014-15 Dmo was so much fun to watch.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Perhaps, here is what I believe is going on.

Here is what I think is happening - this is pure speculation on my part.

The Rockets have given DMo an offer above the QO, but not WAY above it like others are getting.

Say something like 9 or 10m a year, for 4 years.

That seems like a fair offer, and DMo is probably weighing taking 40m for 4 years, or taking the QO for a year - becoming an Unrestricted Free Agent and going for a Ryan Anderson type of deal.

I don't blame the Rockets for doing this, that is the way of the market, not do I blame Dmo for having a long hard think about it.

At then end of the day, I don't think the decision is in the Rockets court, I think it is in DMo's court.

If he doesn't like their offer (Considers it too low) he needs to go out and find a better one - and force the Rockets to match.

And while that might be tempting, does DMo really want to play in a crappy situation just for money?

So, IMHO, this will boil down to QO or fairly low 3 or 4 year deal. I don't believe the Rockets will blink but DMo might.

DD

11. jogo

jogo Member

Can someone make a poll about how much DMo will get paid? I don't have privileges. I think $10 mil/per is not going to happen but quite a few people think it will (for Hou or traded).

12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Pretty much this.

Though I'd speculate the Rockets offer is more like 4 years 32 million with a team option for the 4th year.

For some reason, DMO seems not have had any offer in the 10million multi year range, like many of the other restricted free agents & personally I think he would jump at 4 years 40.

13. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Considering how much other big men are getting paid it would be an insult to DMo and an indication the Rockets don't value him at all. It would also show people around the league that the Rockets aren't willing to "take care" of a guy they drafted(technically traded for) who played the 3rd most minutes in their 56 win season.

Yeah I understand the back is a concern, but if he is healthy then he's got to be paid more than Miles Plumlee or the Miami combo guard with limited experience. Maybe 3 years with player option @ a lower number or 2 years @ a higher number and a team option.

4 years $32 mil is a GTFO the room #. Absurdly low with the higher cap. No way Morey can offer than and expect his rep to not suffer around the league. If his back is a concern then short term deal, but you can't pay him an embarrassing low $8 mil per otherwise.

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

While a lot of players have gotten seemingly ridiculous contracts, when narrowed to just PF and centers, the numbers aren't nearly as high. Aside from a few exceptions, mid tier and young PF/C are getting paid a lot less than their counterparts who are swingman or point guards.

I definitely agree 4 year 32 is not a good offer (from DMo's perspective) as it is really a 3 year 24 deal. I'm just speculating that if Dmo had an offer for 3 year or more with a salary of over 10 million per, it already be signed.

But who knows, maybe he'll eventually sign for something like 3 years 32 or something.

15. freethrow13

freethrow13 Member

Terrence Jones

So you guys know that T.Jones is a member of new orleans

16. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

If he's healthy(the Rockets should know) then it's got to be at least what Asik and Miles Plumlee are making. I think they're making $13 or $14 mil and barely playing.

They can't be seen as lowballing a good team oriented player who seems to be a high character guy. The team needs to show they're willing to take care of other players besides Harden. Willing to built a culture that is less about flipping assets and more about a team that players respect and want to join.

I get that people say DMo isn't getting any big offers, but that shouldn't matter it should be about what DMo is worth to the Rockets and what is a fair price for a 7' player with a good low post game who is also a decent 3P shooter especially with Ryan Anderson's injury history and Capela's limited experience.

17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Looking at other players money is what agents do. Someone who has never made 10 mil a year needs to think on it, really think and ask himself if passing up that deal for a gamble that he'll return to previous form (because even 82 games of health won't up the ante if his game isn't quite there) is worth it. If you're the team guy, take the team deal. Unless you're Rich as hell, sneezing at 10 mil a year is a stupid thing to do whether he's willing to risk it or not. 10 million once is financial security forever. 10 million 3 or 4 times is taking care of someone. Ryan Anderson hit the lottery, right place/right time. Envy of that when you're going to be banking millions of dollars because Cba this or Conley that is entitled athlete territory, I don't care who you are and I'm all for these guys getting paid...

18. Lightsnowaction

Agreed, but that back scares me and he needs to prove more as an NBA player than just the '14-'15 season. 1 year contract.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yeah Dmo should get paid 13 million plus a year for having 1 solid month of basketball. Especially since everyone else is getting these crazy contracts these days. Bump the fact that his back is in question and he couldn't give us any consistency this past season. Lol one minute he's only playing 6 minutes then the next 21 minute, followed by more games of only 6 freaking minutes.

Yeah that's good business practice paying someone who might not even play half the season. Hmmm hold up we already signed two more players like that.

Great job and smart move fellas.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Nobody but Dmo, his agent and the Rockets officials knows what being discussed. Every that's chiming in on here really doesn't have a clue. Just all speculation on our behalf.