1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WTF: Cop shoots caretaker of autistic man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Jul 20, 2016.

1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I don't know how you can even defend this cop.

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

This dialogue caught my attention:

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

this was all in the article the OP posted and the article posted in the D&D

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

except the cops didn't know he was autistic, and were told by 911 that he had a gun.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This is important. It's also important that before the shooting, the caretaker may have been shouting to the police that it's an autistic guy with a toy truck. This looks bad for the shooter, but no reason not to wait for more video evidence.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I watched the video but didn't see the shooting - what happened that triggered the shot?

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

just bolded part of your quote is speculation. just noting that for everybody else that read your post. the word "fact" followed by your synopsis is deceptive.

not an snarky post, btw. just confused at the situation.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How do you know he was lying? Let's allow all the facts to come out before we jump to conclusions.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WINNER WINNER

. . . . cause that Narrative will play better in the media and to people

I tell you . . .I am learning why they say NEVER GIVE THE COPS A STATEMENT
    at the time of an incident . . ..

BE LIKE THE COPS . . .. be quiet. . . .. wait for the evidence to be presented . .. then find the most favorable narrative you can imagine and make your story fit those facts in evidence . . ..

It won't work as well for non cops. . . because the whole system is set up to protect cops. . . . but it will help more than lying nilly willy . .. LIE WITH PURPOSE AND INFORMATION!!!

Rocket River

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Artistic, autistic samething... Yeah..

11. Awesome

Awesome Member

He was aiming for the autistic man, whom the guys clearly says

HE"S AUTISTIC AND HE HAS A TOY TRUCK IN HIS HAND????

Then the officer proceeds to cuff the caretaker?

[​IMG]

One would have to be grade A dumb to believe that story.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

To be fair, somewhat of a mob mentality. If you are shot by the cop, you must be bad.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

No, you're right - that part is not in the main story's in the threads - I do remember reading it, but not sure where. I just remember thinking "oh this makes sense now".

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

The officer's finger.

1 person likes this.
  15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

This is not where I read it, but it does clarify that part:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/21/us/mia...ing/index.html

The police shooting of an African-American caregiver, who was lying in the street trying to help an autism patient, was accidental, according to the local police union representing the North Miami officer.

The officer had intended to shoot the patient, whom he thought posed a danger, but accidentally shot the caregiver instead, said John Rivera, the President of the Dade County Police Benevolent Association.

Rivera offered an explanation Thursday, saying that the police officer opened fire because he thought the white individual, whom they later learned is a man with autism, was going to harm Kinsey.

"This wasn't a mistake in the sense that the officer shot the wrong guy or he thought that Kinsey was the bad guy," he said in a press conference Thursday.

"The movement of the white individual made it look like he was going to discharge a fire arm into Mr. Kinsey and the officer discharged trying to strike and stop the white man and unfortunately, he missed the white male and shot Mr. Kinsey by accident."

sorry for the confusion OS - By the way, I actually Had Omega Supreme transformer as a kid in the 80's. Got it when it was on clearance for way way cheap.

16. TL

TL Contributing Member

I wonder what would have happened if Mr Kinsey would have reached for his leg after getting shot. Would he have been fired on again for moving threateningly?

And I read he was cuffed after being shot. Why would a wounded man that they were supposedly trying to protect get cuffed? It seems like the proper response would be to assist him and get an ambulance out immediately.

I just don't get why this cop should be getting so much benefit of the doubt instead of focusing on the facts that we actually know.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Of course, police should be wary when 911 tells them about a gun. But, doing this job every day, they should also be aware by now that people calling 911 sometimes give bad information, and they should take everything with a grain of salt until they know for themselves (especially when the guy he was supposedly saving loudly contradicted the information from the 911 call -- did the police officer not believe him because he was black? Or because the cop was dumber than a sack of doorknobs?).

If you're doing a "just the facts" then I'd still amend your statement to add a "shooting officer alleges that the sitting man made a move..." because we don't know he made any move at all. We only know that someone said so.

I do believe the officer was shooting at the autistic man and hit the caregiver by accident. If he was actually a good shooter and shot at the caregiver, he'd have hit the body. That he hit the leg means he's a bad shot and missed his target, whoever it was. At that point, shooting the autistic man makes more sense than shooting the prone man. Still, he shouldn't have been shooting at anyone.

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ohhhh, he was aiming for the autistic kid. No harm, no foul y'all.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't buy that explanation from the cop at all. Wasn't Mr. Kinsey explaining the situation? So, the cop thought he said artistic instead of autistic? ;)

In all likelihood, the cop was so dumb he didn't know what autism is. He probably thought it was a form of terrorism. Split second decision my ass. And, he was actually claiming he was fearful for Mr. Kinsey being hurt and protecting him...from the toy? Sure.

Either way...that's not a cop that should be out in public. Maybe put him behind a desk or something? He can be just as stupid there.

Hey everybody...the cop was trying to protect the black man...not shoot him! LOL

#59 Surfguy, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree that it explains the he didn't shoot the black guy for being black. There's still an open question about why he shot at a brown-skinned guy named Rinaldo.