1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] "Ghostbusters" Reboot - All female cast

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dback816, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not sure, but I'm giving her backlash for repeating the same joke over and over and over and over and over again.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Does she have to steal jokes? They're just age-old 20 year old frat jokes re-purposed to fit a female theme. I'M A GIRL, I FART AND I **** - YEEEHAW. :rolleyes:

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Just go back to the beginning of this thread and peruse some of the comments. More than a few specifically had a problem with what they considered a guy-movie being female-led. People can have their opinions, but pretending like this isn't a huge aspect of the backlash is just silly. Just like it would be silly to pretend that many positive reviews for the movie weren't influenced by the choice to use women.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure but "it" could also serve as an intrigue factor for watching the movie.

It goes both ways.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The first half was funny and the second half was boring as ****.

Another movie where the trailer ruined the movie. I don't care about it being all girls either. It felt like a cartoon for 8 year olds.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I went back to the first page of this thread. Nobody said anything along the lines of 'this movie will suck cause its all females' . not even close. People questioned why Hollywood would do it though. I don't understand peoples' obsession with looking for sexism and racism in everything. Does it make them feel better about themselves?

red letter media review. always good.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HUEKreyTkvA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

EDIT: I see super liberal Nook's sexist post. so I guess thats one.....

#326 tallanvor, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Maybe we have a different number of posts shown on the first page.

8. tallanvor

I put that on my post....

9. durvasa

I'm not looking for sexism. I just think you're nuts if you seriously believe that a huge segment of the people hating on this movie aren't doing so largely because the cast is female.

I know you reflexively need to push back against what you think is a "PC agenda". That's fine. That doesn't mean you need to enter make-believe land and deny the obvious.

I wrote: "Just go back to the beginning of this thread and peruse some of the comments. More than a few specifically had a problem with what they considered a guy-movie being female-led."

I'm not trying to call people out, and I don't really care if guys are reluctant to see the movie because they prefer it with a male cast. I don't think this is that important. But, to back up what I said, here (all comments from the beginning of the thread, prior to the first trailer coming out):

10. tallanvor

yes you are. Most the stuff you posted is harmless and definitely not sexism. Nook's comment might be barely sexist.

What country do you think you live in? This is not Iran. Men do not give a **** if the lead is female as proven by the multitude of movies/shows led by women that men love. I can name tons of female action characters loved by men. How does your brain reconcile this with all the posts claiming wonder women stole the show in batman vs superman?

#330 tallanvor, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  11. durvasa

I didn't use the word sexist, now did I? I even quoted myself for you, and I'll do it again: "Just go back to the beginning of this thread and peruse some of the comments. More than a few specifically had a problem with what they considered a guy-movie being female-led."

Now, if you want to say the comments are harmless, fine. I also said it wasn't a big deal to me. But its plain to see that they didn't like that the cast was female. If you really want to keep denying this when the evidence is right in front of you, go ahead. It just makes you look kind of ridiculous.

This is totally irrelevant. Yes, we all know that comic book nerds like watching sexy women kick ass in movies. What we're talking about here is taking a well-liked property that had male characters and redoing it with female characters.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Roeper looks like an off duty cop at a weekend barbecue who's about to be questioned by a female detective from another precinct.

13. tallanvor

you wrote this

Which obviously the backlash would of been the same. Nobody thought the movie sucked because it had a female cast. They thought it sucked cause it wasn't funny (again; haven't seen it). When you say 'backlash' I assume you are talking about the reviews of the movie?

14. durvasa

When I was referring to a backlash, I wasn't talking about the movie reviews from professional reviewers, which have been mostly positive. I was referring to comments from non-critics. Many of whom haven't seen it and aren't intending to see it.

What we know is a lot of people disliked that there was a female cast prior to seeing the movie. Maybe that doesn't reflect your personal views, but it is nevertheless true. It is also clear that many people are convinced that the movie has a feminist agenda of some sort, which naturally biases them against it.

I'm not even saying its a good movie deserving of positive reviews. I haven't seen it. I just think its a huge stretch for you to claim that any negativity directed towards the move has "nothing" to do with the choice of a female cast.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Most people's dislike with the recasting has nothing to do with sexism. The dislike stems from Hollywood's lack of originality, thinking that moviegoers would love to see the same movie but recast with opposite sexes. Add in terrible trailers that confirms a lackluster comedy and it soured more people towards the movie.

Now if the movie was genuinely good and funny, then all that criticism goes away and audiences will watch the movie. But the only good reviews have come from critics who are championing the movie for its gender equality and not its quality. No thanks.

1 person likes this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Based on IMDB ratings most women love the movie and men hate the movie with a passion. It had a pretty good audience so some people seem to like movie.

The new star wars was universally loved and it was pretty much unoriginal and copy of the first one.

Why do we have 336 post thread with dudes posting over and over stating I am not going to go watch the movie. Fine then don't go, but why crap all over a thread saying the same thing. No one one really cares.

[​IMG]

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If Chewbacca, C3PO, and Han Solo were all wearing skirts in the new movie then... probably not universally loved. Hell the main character in the new movie was a woman and everyone still ate it up so you've missed the point.

Are they going to remake Jaws with an all female crew now? How about Beverly Hills Cop or any other of the fun movies a lot of us grew up with? **** that. If you want to push some female empowerment agenda then come up with an original script and don't **** on something people already love. They interjected feminist politics into a great franchise. Freaking pisses me off. I've seen a lot of Feig's movies and I guarantee you I won't be seeing another.

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Oh lawd I can see an all female Beverly Hills Cop reboot. What about an all female cast of the original Predator movie? The fat one could be Dutch.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

"Dillon, you son of a b****!"

Camera holds for 30 seconds of arm flubber shaking.

1 person likes this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

When will they remake Disney cartoons with opposite genders?

A male Pocohontas, Sleeping Handsome surrounded by she-dwarves, or a merman who falls in love with a land princess.