1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: My Rookie Year(The player's tribune)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets2012, Jul 19, 2016.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao would have been a better player if Rudy T continued to be his coach IMO.

JVG turned Yao into Shaq, Rudy would have turned him into Hakeem.

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Damn I miss Yao.

What a wonderful human being. Though his time was cut short, i'm so happy we as Rockets fans were able to have the whole experience that was Yao Ming.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. mig0s

mig0s Member

I thought they were best friends...

5. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

"Yao Ming Yao Ming Yao Ming Yao Minnng Yao Minnng"

Never forget!

6. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

大明 is good.

7. Mutombo

Mutombo Member

Eat the head, Ming!

Great love for the Great Wall.

8. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Damn that was short but sweet. Wish he wrote more, but still...it makes me miss Yao as a player/person, and Stevie too.

Sucks that both of their careers didn't end up where they could've, and it's sad to see Steve's demise post-basketball -- hope he's better now.

9. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I love Yao, don't get me wrong, but I found this to be a very boring article.

10. BackdoorHarden

What the hell happened to Stevie anyway?

Went from a likeable guy to a crack head after he went to Orlando. He was never the same after Houston.

Anything about Eddie Griffith in the article? I remember reading how Eddie hired a bunch of hookers to Yao's hotel room and Yao was like, "ummm...no thanks" and Eddie thought Yao was gay because he refused free p$$$$y"

Griffith was born too early, he could have watched p*rn in his van today in a self driving car or hire an uber driver and watch his p*rn without dying.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

many clutchfans have seen Steve get drunk, go search the historical threads.

it's not like it happened overnight.

12. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Steve probably taught Yao Ming how to say "you cant ****ing stop me!!!" ... And well, Chris Kamen heard it from the big fella

13. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Rudy T was the 3 and D stretch 4 visionary before Mike Anthony gave Shawn Marion a career by shifting him to PF.

We had Horry, and Rudy was willing to trade away 3 first rounders to get Eddie Griffin who was a great weakside shot blocker, good defender and rebounder and a developing 3 point shooter.

He would have been the quintessential 3&D stretch 4 and worth the trade if he had continued to develop ... He would have beem great next to Yao.

What if ... Wait, that's another thread's title.

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Still remember when SF3 came back after injury as a free agent. In that 5 minutes? against suns, I thought SF3 is back and...... its just too good to be true.

Too bad things did not work too well for both of them.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Eddie Griffin had lots of issues

http://articles.philly.com/2003-10-28/sports/25464357_1_joann-romero-list-lawyer

16. So Good

So Good Member

Steve was the perfect off-the-court teammate for Yao early on

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Damn. Eddie Griffin had completely slipped my mind - was a big fan of him and his talent back in the day. I know every team has their 'what if' squads, but I think having two back-to-back highly talented cores (Francis/Mobley/Griffin/Yao and Mcgrady/Yao) not even amount to a conference finals appearance is pretty rare.

Really loved the article. Just like Yao, I remember those days fondly despite the lack of wins.

18. SunsRocketsfan

miss those days when the Rockets actually had characters and likeable players.. now we have fat ass lazy beard man who doesn't have much of a personality..

glad fake nice guy Dwight is gone tho.. that guy is a cancer

19. Olajuwon34

Olajuwon34 Member

I really liked Francis. It's a shame it didn't work out. But man, that guy had one of the better cross-overs I've seen.

20. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人