1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

American Express Black (Centurion) Card: Worth It?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If i were rich enough to get it I would, why not? It's about the exclusivity and prestige at that point. The fact that it's made of titanium is also a huge plus. I have the Sapphire Preferred and the metal on that feels great compared to the cheap plastic of other cards.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

You are right, for the most part there isn't that much that separates the Platinum and Centurion. The status, prestige, and some higher level services.

I have had a Platinum for a long time and it has served me well with all the perks and free benefits I get out of it. I dont' know if you get the $3500 or how much it is a year back in perks. With the Platinum as you mentioned, I made back that and if not more on the stuff that comes to me via freebies.

The cost different per year is pretty substantial for sure.

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I'm confused by this thread. Like I said before, anyone who has the spending power to get an invite isn't sweating a few thousand bucks (or even thinking about it). The only way I can see this being a problem is if the invite is due to spending on an Amex Business Card rather than personal.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Please give me some money, breh.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I remember years ago when I worked at a gas station some megadouche paid with an Amex made of titanium, I think. I said something like wow, that's heavy for a credit card. He replied back, don't worry you'll never have one.

What an ass. OP, don't do things like that.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're doing it wrong. I'm always 'sweating' a few thousand bucks, no matter what's in my bank account. You don't make money by throwing it away.

However, there are intangibles involved with having a Black AMEX, such as rubbing shoulders with MORE successful people. As I said in the OP, Networking.

Interesting juxtaposition of opinions here. :)

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

lmao despite him being a-hole that was a pretty funny zinger.

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

We had one for a couple of years when we were travelling more. The benefits were worth the $2500/year fee. Once we started our family and stopped travelling as much, we downgraded back to Platinum and didn't really miss too much. It usually was a little cheaper for me to buy a full fair business class ticket and get a free one for my wife rather than purchase two cheaper. Also probably averaged 10 free nights a year at hotels that paid for the fee (stayed at Mandarins a lot). Also the travel insurance let me book travel no hassle and cancel at will.

I think it would benefit someone the most who had a small business or was a consultant and had to travel for work on their own dime. You get all the benefits of a full service, concierge travel company without actually having one. For those of you that work for big companies and use companies like CarlsonWagonlit, this would give you those types of services as a person travelling for their own business.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What were the benefits you got at $2500 that were not available on the Platinum card ($450)?

Thanks

10. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Simply by meeting the prerequisites of what an invitation to the Centurion card requires, you will already be in those circles.

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Lol, ok sir. Then don't get one. If you are worried about a few thousand while spending >$350K a year, and your justification is networking with more successful people, you are the one doing it wrong. If you can't find the sucker at the poker table, you're the sucker.

12. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

So did you spend the money on your Amex Business card rather than personal?

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What's the side gig?

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

At the time, there was guaranteed free nights at certain hotel chains. I think the travel insurance was better. I believe it was the guaranteed free nights is what paid for it over the Platinum.

Also, the Fine Hotels and Resorts benefits are better. 2 and 3 room level upgrades (almost always ended up in some kind of suite even when booking the lowest level) instead of 1 room level. Things like $200-$300 resort credits rather than $100.

I flew Emirates twice and used a free first class upgrade, which covered the costs too.

I don't know if its worth it, but you are basically Gold level on almost all FF airlines programs, even if you don't fly with them that often. Allows a lot of flexibility being that you can use your points as miles with most as well. Doesn't tie to you to one airline.

Honestly, I could have gotten away sticking with Platinum.

Like I said, if I traveled for my own business, its awesome having a personal travel assistant that you call directly, but since I don't...no reason.

Do they charge a one time initiation fee? They tried to ask me to pay and I refused and they went ahead and upgraded me for the yearly fee. This was in 2009 when the economy sucked, so they waived it I guess. If they charge you $5,000 plus the yearly fee, I don't know if I'd do it now. If not...the yearly fee is pro-rated if you try it for a few months and then decide you don't need it. I actually think the year I cancelled, they just applied the pro-rated amount to the Platinum and refunded the rest.

EDIT: By the way, I believe when we joined the pre-req were lower. I don't think we ever spent $350K in a year, although we had some years with a lot of travel and a few BIG purchases that you wouldn't normally put on a card...such as we built a house and financed it ourselves. We put a lot of the materials on the Amex for the points. That can add up quick. Additionally, they (at least they used to) take into account consistency in monthly spending and not just total yearly spending I think. I think my point is: even if you spend enough to qualify...(even at $350K...$2500 a year is still $2500 a year)...so its still worth considering the cost benefit. Most people don't get to the point where they can spend that much without considering the cost/benefit of stuff.

#34 Supermac34, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I prefer to never underestimate anyone at the table.

As for your other tripe...it's easy to spend $350k a year running a business, and Running it through credit cards (and paying them off right away) to maximize your points is just smart money management. You can even do this with your daily expenses. It's called 'churning' - Google it and when you're up several thousand dollars in the next year, please post your crow-eating session in the hangout and give to the tipjar as a way of thanking me for this wisdom.

It's 99% online and complicated compared to punching a clock 8-5. If you are a very nimble, out of the box thinker, message me via the board.