1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Night Of

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, May 2, 2016.

1. 713

713 Member

The cat did it.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Makes perfect sense......

[​IMG]

3. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Was it X? A lot of twists in thing.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Delete

#44 LonghornFan, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  5. LonghornFan

And snorting "coke". From experience, that's literally impossible unless he was playing that Pokeman Gane for 72 hours straight.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . .worth the effort or nah?

Rocket River

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

British actors speaking with American accents actually sounds better than actual American accents.

8. val_modus

val_modus Member

I feel like many would agree in saying that the premiere was quite possibly one of the best opening episodes of any series out there.

9. The Boz

The Boz Member

I vote yes. Strong opening.

10. s land balla

He mentioned in the episode that he's "half Pakistani". Although he didn't mention his other half, it's Iranian (based on his father's accent).

11. Apps

Apps Member

The actor who plays the father is Iranian, but the name "Salim Khan" is distinctly Pakistani. When did he say he was "half Pakistani"? Perhaps the mother is Indian.

12. s land balla

He said it in the police station. Then later he told the attorney that his mom was Pakistani-Punjabi. His dad could be Indian, just poorly cast.

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Hmm, kind of underwhelmed with the second episode. I'm assuming that I must not be the only one, since there isn't a single post in here talking about it the next day. :)

Hopefully this was the worst episode of the series.

14. LonghornFan

Yeah, I was expecting more talk as I missed it last night.

Vice Principals was hilarious though.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

putting an innocent person in a totally implausible circumstantial situation won't prove anything about the supposed weakness of the justice system if he's wrongly convicted

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I continue to really like it. Episode 2 was every bit as good as Episode 1. This might be the best writing for police detective/DA/crime case I've seen ever.

Everyone's character is just so believably real, and Naz's experience going from cell to cell was done well.

I guess not much talk, because there really wasn't much for Ep 1, either. It's like discussing a book that you like because of the dialogue, but not much action, yet.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Alot of people will complain that this episode was slow but I think it was really great. When do shows stop in episode 2 to essentially put a halt on the plot in order to give you the very very important insight as to the perspectives of the Lawyer, the lead detective, and the family to get inside of their heads for a minute. Its going to be very important moving forward to understand the motives and the thinking of these people... it will pay off in future episodes I'm entirely sure.

Also getting a realistic "gritty" display of the first 48 hours or so when a person gets pulled into the "criminal justice system" for the first time in their life is important as well. Let's slow this down and get the details and the feeling right. We now get to see Nas' trip to the state pen and get to feel what it has to be like in that van to be looking out the window wondering if this is the last time you'll see the sunrise in this area in the same way.

Probably the last real true Police Procedural show I really got into was The Killing on AMC. Probably the biggest problem I had with that show though was the playing up of the drama of the family in every other episode with worn out crying dialog. Here we see a show that isn't afraid to play this much more subtle, and I think so far the subtly is far more effective for realism.

Also Alan Sepinwall has pretty much blessed this show as worth our time and he has seen the entire thing. Anything he is this high on is typically for a reason. I'm in.

#57 dobro1229, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The show is expertly made, no doubt. Top notch camera work, directing, acting, etc.

I think the story is lacking at the moment, but it's only 2 episodes in. It's definitely taken more of a realism over entertainment approach thus far, and I imagine things will pick up shortly.

19. val_modus

val_modus Member

I thought episode two was superb;it was on par with the first episode for sure. Something I didn't give much thought to on the first watch, but noticed as potentially important the second go around- what did the mom do with the backpack?

Also, great to see some Brody from Homeland make a brief appearance, perhaps he'll attempt to recruit Naz?

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The series has been solid so far. Really has some potential if they shift the story right.