1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Skip Bayless is Leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by juicystream, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good for Max. LOL at overrated Beadle.

2. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I hate to keep harping on my own hot take -- the "who is watching TV at this hour?"-bit -- but to me it all comes down to that.

For a lot of people, the only exposure they have to Bayless or SAS or any of these people is being at an airport bar, downing a nine-buck Stella while waiting for a flight, or at a middling chain restaurant wolfing down a club sandwich while waiting for the tire store to finish putting your new wheels on.

By habit, these places turn on ESPN, or FOX News, or CNN. The servers and bartenders know the numbers. Just asking them to turn the station over to FS1 or even TNT to watch a baseball game or golf tournament midday sends them into conniptions -- they have enough to deal with while getting tipped 10 percent by your uncle.

They're not going to habitually flip one of those TVs over to FS1, not when ESPN News or whatever is previewing the 2017 NFL Draft in July, 2016.

I'm a damned sportswriter (well, not today; not riting guud) and I only know that on Direct TV FS1 is channel two-hundred ... something.

I can't speak for the NFL Network, but NBA TV was giving us all-night boxscores all the way back in 2000-01, and they hired the TBJ crew. MLB Network at least gives passing mention to advanced stats. We're all on a basketball message board -- do any of us watch PTI or anything like that these days? Not really, because we're looking for something more, something smarter that we can get online. There is a place for that, and sadly it's probably not on TV.

1 person likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I watch PTI, but that's literally it. I don't even watch that show if it isn't Kornheiser and Wilbon. If I see Bob Ryan or one of those other chumps I turn it off.

ESPN just has a huge block of trash. Loudmouth talking heads that are popular with the lowest common denominator.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I don't watch First Take or much of ESPN at all and didn't see this thread until today but I live in LA and have been listening to Kellerman's local radio show with Marcellus Wiley as long as they have been on air here together. I could tell by the broadcasts this week that he was planning a big goodbye, and then I realized today was his last day on air before he heads back East

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Back in its heyday, ESPN had only ONE show that featured all talking-head commentary, and that was the Sports Reporters on Sunday morning (a show they still have, btw).

It was usually some combination of Kornheiser, Lupica, Mitch Albom, Bob Ryan, Wilbon, and the host (Dick Schaap).

That led to the evolution of PTI, Around the Horn followed soon after, and its just been a downhill avalanche of idiots after idiots ever since.

ESPN was far more bearable when it was simply live sports, sportscenter, and the sports-specific highlight shows (especially baseball tonight).... and nothing but re-runs of SC during the day. A perfect example of where more original "live" content isn't really *better*.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hi, I'm Haymitch and I've been ESPN sober for 90 days.

I still have PTI set to record but just always delete it. I've grown tired of Wilbon and Kornheiser on that show; I don't even know why I still record it.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If you want to watch just sports highlights turn on ESPNEWS. There's ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, and Watch ESPN (ESPN3) where if all you wanted to do was watch live action all day you can.

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

ESPNEWS has turned into just re running all the programs that are on ESPN. literally have seen mike and mike re run, PTI/ATH, first take, all re run throughout the day on it.

when theres actual sports on ESPN like wimbeldon or whatever... SC just moves over to ESPNEWS. i loved ESPNEWS when it first began. just straight highlights, let you catch up on what you missed the night before. not the case anymore.

MLB network is great...my team sucks this year so haven't been following along but ESPN has just declined exponentially in terms of a straight highlight/news program. PTI to me is the closest thing to the old SC days...just hits the main topics in a quick/concise manner.

the old olberman/patrick SC days are over with...sucks

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Skip Bayless: ESPN Held Me Back, My Fox Sports Takes Will Be Hotter

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">IT'S OFFICIAL: My new show on Fox Sports 1 launches Sept. 6. Daily 10-12 Eastern. FOX attitude. More details soon. HERE WE GO.</p>&mdash; Skip Bayless (@RealSkipBayless) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/760118729577533440">August 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I hope it doesn't mean he's gonna start saying borderline racist/offensive stuff ^^^

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

If ESPN held this joker back, I think we are safe to assume that there will be plenty more stupidity and clowning from Skip on Fox

12. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Skip Bayless is the biggest white guilt apologist on television. Sitting across SAS probably had some effect on him.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NVW_wyw-o_I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. PhiSlammaJamma

ESPN was overmatched by DeNiro today, they came at him with funny and sports, and he looked at them like they were morons because he doesn't watch sports and he didn't get their brand of funny. Oops. Overall they survived, but it was a little awkward.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I can't change the channel fast enough when I see Sports channels/shows/programs/pregame-shows cross over and interview entertainment/celebrities. Fail every time.

Stay with your core competence please. If I wanted happy horse $hit I'd watch Live with Kelly or the Today Show.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

A FOX attitude he says?

*puts permanent calendar reminder in phone to never ever go to FS1 from 9-11 am central...EVER*

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I saw this thread was bumped and thought he had already been fired by Fox Sports

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Max Kellerman is actually pretty good and makes Stephen A. look like dumb. When Skip was there, Skip was a lot worse than SAS so it actually made SAS look knowledgeable in comparison. Don't get me wrong, SAS was never intelligent, but that fact is way more noticeable going from Skip to Max.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Max is smarter than I thought going in, and smart in the sense that he can talk smart off the cuff, without having to do research prior to the show. He's been able to shift from silliness of the previous show to more intellectual debates easily. All that said, when you come at us with things like conspicuous consumption, he should tell us what the hell he is talking about before going down the road for 5 minutes. I had to go look it up, lol. SAS does help balance him out by talking to the audience and by explaining Max's arguments at times, but Max is more intelligent. SAS is more emotional.

One thing I liked that SAS did this week was he said that he was tired of preferencing all his comments with what a good guy ( for Example Durant ) the person is before railing him noting he's only doing it because they are so sensitive and he wants to maintain their friendship. So he came with real with it.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member