1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adam Silver thinks Durant joining Golden State is a concern, and I don't agree with his assumption

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Jul 13, 2016.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Team Revenue. I agree with you SF destroys OKC in terms of population and product, but the revenues are nearly identical so they didn't poach a player simply because they had mo' money.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

OKC was also arrogant. They thought Durant coming back was a lock (and TBF he told Billy Donovan as much a year ago). They didn't go out and try and get a Horford, they didn't try and lure any free agents. They put all their eggs in the Durant basket. Oh well, retool, rebuild and retry.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't see it as some huge problem, KD to GS was only possible due to an unprecedented jump in the cap and Curry being on a ridiculously low contract. I don't think any major change is needed.

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't think you understand Silver's role in this. He gets a voice at the table along with 30 team owners but the CBA bargaining session between the Silver with the league's best interests in mind, the owners with their team's best interest in mind, and the players association with the individual's best interest in mind. No one party is to blame for a loophole - it was an agreement between all parties. While he may or may not have secretly wished it(he said he didn't), it's silly to think Silver played huge role in a superteam forming given the number of powerful voices at the table with him.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OP, please provide link. It's difficult to tell what Silver said and what your editorial comments are.

6. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Smaller market team owners have always cared about it from that perspective. nothing really changed for that. It's always like that.

Super team concern yes, but it is only because of the huge cap jump. It won't happen again for a while.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed man. I long for the old days when there were no super teams and the Lakers and Celtics dominated the league despite only having 1 good player each.

8. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

what?

10. what

what Member

Basically what I am saying is the nba salary cap jump made for some extenuating circumstances that contributed to KD leaving OKC, that probably wouldn't have happened had it not been for the huge jump in the cap this year and next year especially.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lol at complaining at okc for not getting FA's. The reason Durcant gets so much hate is because he was the one that chocked away.

13. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

You must be living in some weird world where the GDP of the bay area 780 billion isn't much bigger than OKCs 65 billion.

14. nuggien

nuggien Contributing Member

you obviously know nothing about the warriors. GSW has always had no problems filling the seats even during the adonal foyle and sprewell days.

15. JonathanK

JonathanK Member

You sir KNOW your Warriors. I grew-up in the Bay Area. Even the darkest days of the Warriors, the fans sold-out the Oakland Arena (now the Oracle.) The W's may have bandwagon fans from other cities, but in the Bay Area, those fans are DIEHARD.

16. Raven

Raven Member

NBA needs a franchise tag.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This doesn't compute. The idea that these fans have always been amazing and filled up the arena just isn't true.

In 2002, they were 24th in the league in attendance...they sold 74% of their tickets

In 2003, they were 21st in the league in attendance...they sold 79% of their tickets.

In 2004 they were 18th in league in attendance...they sold 83% of their tickets.

2005 they were 22nd...sold 83%

Even in the following years...they never sold all their tickets except 2008 (right on the heels of knocking the first seed Mavs out of the playoffs in the first round)...2014...and 2015.

This kinda reminds me of Cleveland Indian fans...when they were selling out Jacobs Field after it opened in early 90's, people talked about how great Cleveland fans were...how they had always been there to support the Tribe...despite the fact that just about 5 years earlier, they had many nights where there were less than 10,000 fans in the stadium and averaged around 13K per game. Just seems revisionist.

I'm not saying they don't support the team well....just saying I don't get the whole super fan thing. When they really sucked, people didn't show up...like pretty much every where else.

Source on attendance stats is from ESPN where you can search by year since 2001... http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2001

1 person likes this.
  18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The Oracle is one of the larger arenas in the NBA, so even at ~75% it isn't terrible.

Also, Rockets fans know the 100% sellout doesn't mean a great crowd. That's one thing the Warriors have had more consistently than other crappy teams of the past.

19. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

How do those numbers compare to other teams who were terrible for like 15+ years? Considering the Warriors' history following the Run TMC years (which weren't exactly dynasty years themselves) those % seem pretty damn good. I was reading that the Wizards had nearly empty stadiums for many of their home games, for instance.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not arguing that. That's why I said:

I'm not saying they don't support the team well....just saying I don't get the whole super fan thing. When they really sucked, people didn't show up...like pretty much every where else.

What I am saying is that the narrative that this fan base sold out their arena and fans showed up in droves to watch a bad product is not supported in fact.

I don't know about the Wizards...but looking at just random years...they finished 2nd in the league in average game attendance in 2003...sold 82% in 2009...sold 80% in 2013...sold 87% in 2016.

Not trying to rag on GS. Just get tired of hearing narratives like that about franchises when they're playing well....as if the fan support has always been there like that.