1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutch] Morey: Looking at backup pg

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 12, 2016.

1. eslate22

eslate22 Member

Luther head wins that title

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jimmer or AB would be nice. I don't think a trade is necessary now since we still don't know what we have, we can trade KJ or Dekker as filler and then have them blow up on another team. I think its better to sign guys now and then wait till deadline to see if trades are needed, the last thing you want to do is have the Shaun Livingston situation wherein you already have the dude you need but let him slip through your fingers.

3. dwhite

dwhite Member

KJ blowing up on another team.....have you seen him shoot??? Absolutely no need to worry about that. Yet another horrible move by Morey. Why didn't we scout him before giving up a 10 million dollar contract. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see he has no shooting touch.

4. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I feel this is on the whiteboard at TC

1. Eric Bledsoe
    2. Ricky Rubio
    3. Goran Dragic
    4. Michael-Carter Williams
    5. Brandon Knight

5. mightybosstone

I don't necessarily think that Morey is solely targeting PG. I wouldn't be shocked if he was going after a C or SF either. But I certainly think he's had conversations with teams about some of these guys. Rubio, Bledsoe or Knight would be amazing.

6. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Right, but Brewer is amazing yeah?

7. valorita

valorita Member

Dantonis system is predicated on an elite playmaker. A backup guard with this skill is our biggest need.

8. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

Keifer Sykes was very, very impressive today in summer league for the warriors. He's only 6 feet, but is an elite athlete with excellent handle, strength, vertical, and explosion. He shot 42% from 3 his sophomore year, but regressed the next few years, but his form looks fine. Seems like a good finisher with a floater game, and isn't afraid of contact. He might be worth a look.

9. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

"This team needs a knife fighter"

......Jeff Van Gundy

10. illadelphiah

illadelphiah Member

11. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

if thats what morey said, he worded it really weird.

why would he say definitively he wants a backup and not just anouther one who could be the starter. why does it have to be a backup

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Probably out of sensitivity for Bev. He knows Bev is our fallback if we can't get a pg, and the only way we can get a starting caliber pg is via trade. So he's stressing backup. This could end with us signing a backup off the scrap heap for the min. But I'm hoping it ends in a trade that nets us another core piece, regardless of whether Bev is involved.

13. dwhite

dwhite Member

Sad to say and this not a compliment towards Brewer, but he is a much better shooter than McDaniels. He has proven that he can score in the NBA and (at times) shoot as well. I believe he scored 51 on the Rockets a few years ago. KJ will never get close to a number like that even in a weak summer league. No denying he is super athletic, but that is where his basketball skillset ends.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

So sad to say but I totally agree.

Brewer besides last year has at least been a contributer to a NBA team worthy of a rotaion spot. Kj can't even stand out in summer league and frankly doesnt look good in Dleague action either.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm almost ready to call bust.

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

Brewer is better than KJ, head and shoulders!

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

KJ needs to play under control, and maybe the only way to help/force him to do it is play him more/only with Harden so you can be sure he's not going to handle the ball or make (bad) decisions with it.

18. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

If KJ improved on defense in the summer league games I would disagree. Unfortunately, it seems his defense has regressed or he is not trying as hard which I don't get. He needs to watch tape of Shawn Marion and Gerald Wallace and pattern his game after them if he wants to be a rotation player in this league. He needs to know his limitations and play to his strengths.

I do think a full training camp under a solid coaching regime will do him, Dekker, Harrell, and Capela wonders. I think they will all make some noise in training camp so I am not ready to call anyone a bust just yet as I have seen good things from all of them. I am sure they are a bit rusty and working on other aspects of their game. As players vyings for spots in the rotation, they need to show that they have mastered their strengths though before working on weak parts of their game exclusively.

I will say if KJ got Brewer's minutes last year, he would have definitely improved and he could have been used as a major trade piece or at least you would know what you have with him. I do think he needs playing time to find his rhythm on both ends of the floor before anyone can make an honest evaluation.

I do like his work on the boards which is why I have compared him to Gerald Wallace who really struggled in spot minutes early in his career only to become an All Star in the prime of his career after mastering his strengths and working on his weaknesses (ball handling, playing under control, shooting).

Seems like KJ might be a bit of a headcase unfortunately which is something that is hard to overcome though even with a great work ethic. Seems like he thinks too much on the court instead of just reacting. He has great rebound instincts but not sure he has the instincts for perimeter defense or finishing like I hoped after his promising rookie stint with Philly.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't think Luther was a PG?

I'm still willing to give him the worst award, though.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the route we take is to sign a short term solution now and make a trade later on in the season.