1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the hell do we have Sam Dekker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Dec 8, 2015.

1. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

Again, people still saying this stuff about Dekker either hasn't been watching him in SL or has some type of prejudice against him. He needs to keep working on his 3pt shot but otherwise he's been great offensively. His ability to put the ball on the floor and drive/draw fouls is something we haven't had at the SF position since Parsons left. The new shooting coach that just joined should be able to help him.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Um I think Liberon's "prejudice" has been pretty well established.

Hint: it rhymes with racism...

Oh wait, no, it actually is racism, my bad. I gave it away.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Am I missing something here? This kid is basically a rookie who had some sort of back injury. Why are people saying he sucks? He is unproven and the back injury is concerning, but he has not yet shown that he sucks or is worthless/useless.

4. varughese.arun

Wait, I think I missed it but...
    What prejudice is there against LBJ?

The guy is finals MVP, leads an exemplary life, especially off the court, and has a beautiful family.

Are you saying ppl are prejudice toward LBJ because they dont consider him the GOAT? Damn haa...
    I dont consider LBJ the GOAT either... In my opinion MJ is the GOAT.

Tough crowd.

5. basketballholic

Chandler Parsons
    Ht with shoes: 6'9.75"
    Wingspan: 6'9.5"
    Standing reach: 8'8.5"
    Max no-step vertical reach: 10'10"
    Max vertical reach: 11'04"

Sam Dekker
    Ht with shoes: 6'9"
    Wingspan: 6'11.5"
    Standing reach: 8'10"
    Max no-step vertical reach: 10'11.5"
    Max vertical reach: 11'09"

===================================================================================

Kawhi Leonard
    Ht with shoes: 6'7"
    Wingspan: 7'3"
    Standing reach: 8'10"
    Max no-step vertical reach: 10'11.5"
    Max vertical reach: 11'06"

Paul George
    Ht with shoes: 6'8.75"
    Wingspan: 6'11.25"
    Standing reach: 8'11"
    Max no-step vertical reach: ?
    Max vertical reach: ?

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Dekker is the best draft asset we've had since DMo.

7. varughese.arun

Agreed

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Related: I don't see Ryan Anderson's measurements on Draft Express. I was curious as to how they compared to Wiltjer's. Does anyone know where I can find these (or if they even exist)?

9. Fantasma Negro

I think he fits more of the Paul George role, his shooting won't knock your socks off but he can cut to the basket well, finish and hit the corner three with somewhat regularity

10. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

I like his game. Think he could develop into a solid piece. I think the parsons comparisons are fair although dekker is better around the basket. Played the post a little in college and he is bigger/stronger than parsons so that probably is part of it.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think he's the defender Paul George is

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

So with the stats of Dekker with his wingspan. vert, etc. He has the potential to be a good defender off his length. I'm not sure of his natural defensive instincts, the rest is just effort. I will tell you upfront I'm not high on the kid, I think we should have taken someone else with our pick last year. I won't label him a bust just yet, but it's not looking good. Hope he proves me wrong and becomes a spark off our bench this year.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I already said it but I'll say it again , Dekker reminds me of a bigger Marcus Morris . Hopefully he can become what we all hoped Morris would be . Or at least what cxbby hoped he would be .

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Cxbby went all out on the Morris prediction. I don't like Kansas guys; they never seem to pan out. What do I know, I though TJones was gonna be good.

There's a natural awkwardness or stiffness to their games. They are around the same height. Dekker's got better handles and is more of a 3. I think he's more of a cross between Parsons and Morris.

15. J Hard

J Hard Member

Prejudice against him? Welcome to everyday life as a Black man, shutup crying and deal with it.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Morris seams to me to have been more of a shooter and post up player.

Dekker is a slasher and driver

17. mightybosstone

This. I don't really see the Morris comparison at all. Dekker is also more athletic and appears to be a better defender than Morris.

18. mightybosstone

Why do you say it's not looking good? Obviously he missed his whole rookie year because of the back injury. But aside from that, the guy hasn't really had a chance to prove himself. Before we label him a bust, I think he's got to get through a full season relatively healthy. If he gets through next season and still has not found a role in the rotation, THEN I think we can say "it's not looking good." But I think it's way too early to make any kind of determination on how it's looking.

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Dekker seems somewhat stiff , but seems athletic enough . If he can improve on his lateral quickness and drop that ass on defense then he will be a stud . I think he is a streak shooter right now like Morris . He was pretty hot the first game and ice cold the second . I will say he does move off better than twin but probably isn't as stout a rebounder even with twins alligator arms . His ceiling is a bit higher especially if he works on his shot . But it will all come down to ability to guard wings . Maybe he can guard quicker / smaller 4's too .

20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He's playing well. I look forward to seeing more of him. Don't have a good feel for whether he's added some wrinkles to his game since college.