1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AJ Reed up!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jun 24, 2016.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

It's time to bring Jon back up all the others have failed bring him back up and see what he still has if he fails move him asap.

2. HstnSprtsFan101

What? He's hitting .208 in AAA. pretty easy to see how it'd go in the majors

3. Prize Closet

Prize Closet Rookie

I'm convinced that 1B prospects don't exist

4. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

After all the years of Bagwell, it seems strange having a hole first base.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Bags last manned 1B 12 years ago. Time flies, but I think I'm past expecting someone of his caliber at that corner of the diamond :)

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

We had Bagwell for such a long time, and then we followed him up with 4 and a half years of Berkman at 1B.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Reed has all of 40 PA. He has a .167 BABIP and has walked 12.7% of the time. His major league sample is no reason whatsoever to change his projection. He needs at least another 150 PA before we can make any kind of reasonable adjustments to our expectations of him. And the book really won't be written until he has 600+ PA.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

They have called up a couple of guys that were hitting in AAA and haven't hit in the majors so what's the difference give him a go.

9. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Yeah it does, seems just like yesterday.

Oh damn, I totally forgot about him, lol.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The difference is that at least one of those guys could make the necessary adjustments to improve at the MLB level.

Singleton has already shown an inability to do that... and has compounded the problem as he's now failing to make necessary adjustments at the minor league level.

11. Airdough

Airdough Member

The Astros do need to play Reed every day, even against lefties. If you aren't going to put him out to see if he can hack it, then trade him for something of real value to help you now. If he's going to go the way of Singleton (still way too early to tell as he needs at least a full season of at bats), then don't erode his value platooning him at the major league level.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's post-ASB nuttin' up time. Get the best hitters in the lineup and live and die by them. Bregman will be up inevitably, and you put Valbuena at 1B to maintain both their bats in the lineup. Send Reed down for every day AB's, and make him the incumbent to win the job in 2017. It's ok he's a man, he can take it.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Even though it has been a while now, he was followed by a guy that knew a little something about hitting a baseball.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

he hasn't had much time yet. Would you demote Bregman after 10 starts if he's not hitting? And replace him with...Reed?

And why is this week so different from last week?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

To anybody who's been following Reed, can you fill me in on something?

Was he always this "big"? I mean, he's a young guy who's probably still developing physically, but my first reaction when I saw him was, "this guy is really fat".

Obviously weight gain can slow flexibility, bat speed, and stamina... just wondering if there was a Singleton-like weight gain for this season that ended up leading to his slow start at AAA.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Based on quick Google, he was 240 when drafted and 240 now.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Eye test. Reed is flailing at all types of pitches and missing by a wide margin. He's watching easy strikes pass by him while swinging at balls way outside the zone. He looks lost. Stats support the eye test.

He needs to hit every day, and that's hard to do on a team trying to come back from 11 games under .500 to eventually win this division. We're 5.5 back in the division now, so that's half the battle, but there's still a tremendous amount of comeback yet to occur.

If Bregman comes up, he's taking Reed's AB's whether he's on this roster or not. Valbuena is moving to first, and DH can hold only so many part time players like Gattis and Marwin.

I'm not advocating sending Reed down as a punitive measure. Just a necessary one if we want to add Bregman's bat into this lineup.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He was much much lighter. I think he weighs around 275 ish right now. I don't trust the height / weight google search. Never updated.

[​IMG]

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yeah, Reed needs to lose weight. He looks like a blob out there...send him to AAA to get him reps, and put him on a diet plan...if he sheds his gut, Im sure his bat will improve. At the least, it cant hurt.

20. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Not necessarily, there are a lot of fat dudes that raked (Big Papi, Ryan Howard). He just needs reps.