1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden signs extension with Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by clutch citizen, Jul 9, 2016.

?

Are you happy with Harden's contract extension?

1. Yes - Harden is the franchise player.

410 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No - This messes up our cap situation.

38 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So this tells us at least two things:
    1. Harden really likes MDA.
    2. Harden definitely is not lurking around Clutchfans.

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

In another news, Curry could have done the same with GSW, but instead they used the cap to sign Durant.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i think morey's lost his touch. not only is he giving 20M to guys like ryan anderson, he's giving 10M people to guys who are already on the roster. check espn before you give out these contracts daryl.

4. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

That poll doesn't seem right to me. I find it crazy that the people that hate Harden can constantly pump out garbage after garbage and yet only be a small percentage of voters. I feel like it's half the board sometimes...........parallels a certain political race. Coke vs Pepsi. Coke Forever!

5. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

I don't get it. Already had him locked up for 2 more years!

It wasn't like only 1 year left and you're afraid he may just take off so you act now.

Puzzling.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The cap is going up next year. Better to pay a little more now than a lot more later.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

See this is why CF is so toxic right now, it's been infected by people who see the bad in everything that happens with the team.

Hardens just signed an extension with the team and people are complaining we have no capspace? WTF? Would you rather have capspace but no Harden? Well I guess this is expected because Harden just smacked them all in the face. I thought the Houston Rockets are the worst run organization in the league? I thought nobody wanted to stay with the team? I thought Harden was gonna bolt the first moment he can and go to LA to play with WB? Shows what you know :rolleyes:

This is a great sign by Harden showing trust to the organization, the contract renegotiation is very reasonable in that it increases his salary from the 17M pittance to the more realistic 26M he's gonna get paid now. More importantly, considering the max is 30M and the cap is gonna increase even more I think he just gave the Rox a discount by signing for 4 years now. This is important because if we do become a player next year any star we want to attract will have confidence that Harden is committed to the organization instead of it being like the Lebron situation before wherein nobody wanted to commit to the Cavs because LBJ might bolt.

As for Harden himself from what I've seen he is an extremely loyal person, in his first year he said that while he was happy to be the star in Houston he also didn't expect that OKC would trade him. He even hinted that if OKC just waited a day more before pulling the trigger on that trade, perhaps he would've accepted less than max to stay. Personally I think Morey just saved his job from being in the hot seat, he just locked up his star for 4 more years and possibly for life, since in 3 or 4 years only the Rox can sign him to the most money.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Yes....it should be clear to everyone that KD signed with GS because they had the cap space to sign him. That's the reason why he signed with them....

Just strange though why they ended up trading bogut and letting Barnes go....head scratcher.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If that happens again . . where Curry takes a DEEP salary cut
    after his current salary . . i will be greatly surprised

Rocket River

10. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Another note: do we really think Harden would have been OK making less than Ryan Anderson? I think minor details such as that can ultimately have big impacts on the locker room and chemistry.

As mentioned, I don't see any realistic issues. This is a textbook win-win.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . . .i think this was already planned
    After Durant and ESP DWADE
    both Morey and Harden were like. . . D*MN We did the right thing

Rocket River

12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think this is an important observation when considering the climate and tone of the GARM. 10% in this poll are either vocal enough or trolling enough or repetitive enough to make it feel like a whole lot more than it really is.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

^
    |
    This

LOL to the haters. I think it's a time we create a single thread to quarantine them.

Harden is a confindent brave loyal leader not a p***y-ass traitor-follower like Durant

He basically signed an extension with the rockets based on this year's cap knowing that the cap will just keep on getting bigger

Him being commited here at a discount will give the Rockets the best chance to sign and trade for stars and pieces

14. hlcc

hlcc Member

I have the same feeling. I think it's a good move to get the extra year of Harden but I don't really view this renegotiation as Harden's commitment to Houston.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Why are people even questioning this move?

This is a statement move, coming conveniently after the massive FA drama where loyalty was the main topic of discussion.

Houston is not just "paying Harden more money for an extra 1 year". Houston is:

1. Making a statement regarding team loyalty and stability. The whole league was questioning KD's loyalty, or Heat's treatment of Wade, and how Westbrook is not resigning with Thunder. The Rockets in the middle of everything just announced to the whole NBA they are more than willing to rip up Harden's old contract to give him a better one. This is in contrast to a few years ago when the likes of Mark Cuban was accusing Houston of having no loyalty.

2. Setting themselves up for FAs in the future. The stability of your stars in your team greatly affects how likely other stars will join the team. Horford is a clear example of this.

3. Maintaining good relationship with Harden, who is on a clear path to becoming the 2nd greatest Rocket ever. We have the luxury of Harden now, but before that we were the asset stockpiling team that was stockpiling to land on someone exactly like Harden.

This is a great move for the organization and it ensures we will remain a solid choice for FAs to join. If Dwight Howard, who initially had no interest at all whatsoever in Houston, changed his mind because of James Harden. I am sure a ton of other FAs will come around and do the same. Remember, only a year ago the players voted Harden for MVP, so he commands respect from this league.

3 people like this.
  16. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

you're not saving any money.

According to Woj's numbers, 21 mill raise over the next 2 years.

THen 30.2 mill, and 32.7 mill the following 2 years.

So what it really is, is a 2-year extension for 84 mill. 42 mil a year for 2 extra years. How is that saving a lot for later?

17. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Did harden and his agent come up with this or morey ????

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

It's been a rough year, but this has me so excited. These are our ****ing boys. Doesn't matter what happens. We're going to try to beat the Warriors, or die trying.

19. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

This could've easy been harden sitting back at the crib upset all these other guys are getting these fat contracts, and he's locked in on a bargain deal.

Even if morey came up with it people saying he's showing he's loyal, who wouldn't sign a $60mill more deal to get out a cheaper contract ??????

This is very rare either way and neither side was going to say no.

20. Chamillionaire

It's important for players to get their money and also respect from the FO. Look at Wade, Durant, Horford... all left their teams. We lose Harden, we're the Pelicans.