1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets hire Josh Oppenheimer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Great hire. Finally we can run SSOL with Harden and proper shooters instead of doing it haphazardly with MDA and scrub shooters.

It's going to be messy and frustrating but damn will it be fun...

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fify :grin:

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Good, now we just need the Suns medical staff of the mid-2000's to get on board and we will be all set.

5. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

And we should listen to you because...? You clearly have no credibility

6. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

On his website you can he coaches skills other than shooting, and a list of players he's worked with 1 on 1. He's worked with Westbrook, Parsons, Noah, Hayward Demarre Carroll, and Paul George to name a few. All guys that seemed to show improved shooting over their careers.

Of course his clientele includes scrubs and dudes I never heard of, but it seems like Oppenheimer is a coach that players really respect and get along with.

7. basketballholic

Love this hire. Been calling for a shooting coach of this ilk for a couple seasons. Glad we've finally got a good one.

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yeah I don't know why a guy from Europe would even attempt to seem like an insider..he has been getting more arrogant and acting like he knows something we don't.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

why was calvin murphy never brought on for this

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Because she's the resident Bucks expert on the BBS, and is general a very level headed, reasonable poster.

Beyond that, if you're called the "shot doctor" shouldn't your team both be pretty well known as great shooters, and be very reluctant to lose you?

1 person likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rockets have landed former Bucks assistant Josh Oppenheimer, one of the top development/bench coaches in the game. Huge hire for young guys</p>&mdash; Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/751157031445331968">July 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. malakas

malakas Member

lol I watched the results of his work for three years? I didn't see a bad shooter get better.
    If you don't want to listen to me don't ,I dont' care.

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

and he almost got Westbrook to come to ASU to form a Harden-Westbrook backcourt

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ASU almost had a Russell Westbrook-James Harden backcourt. Great stuff from <a href="https://twitter.com/DougHaller">@DougHaller</a> <a href="https://t.co/FWW6xXGTT7">https://t.co/FWW6xXGTT7</a></p>&mdash; Paola Boivin (@PaolaBoivin) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaolaBoivin/status/733657585048387584">May 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

http://excelmygame.com/bio/

Josh Oppenheimer has been involved in basketball as a player, coach and trainer for over 35 years.

As a high school player, Josh was named All-State, All-American and one of the top 50 players in the country by numerous publications. After choosing to attend the University of Rhode Island on basketball scholarship, Josh became part of an NCAA Sweet 16 tournament team and was named one of the top freshman of the A10 Conference. Josh then transferred to Northern Arizona University and became one of the top 3pt shooters and assist men in the country, earning all Big Sky honors.

After college, Josh embarked on a professional basketball career that included 9 seasons in the US and in Europe as well as training camp stops with 3 NBA teams. In Europe, Josh was a member of basketball powerhouse, Maccabi Tel Aviv, where he went on to become one of the top shooters in Europe.
    When his playing days were over, Josh became a Division I assistant and associate head coach with stops at Duquesne, Delaware, DePaul, and Kent State. As a college coach, Josh recruited and coached some of the top players in the country and coached in a number of conference championship games and the NCAA tournament.

Josh saw a need in the marketplace for personal skill training and embarked on his next basketball venture by starting Excel Basketball. Josh has taken all he has learned as a player and coach and has translated that into training some of the best basketball players and teams in the world. Josh’s skills are highly respected in the training community, such he was selected by NIKE basketball to be the lead clinician in the central US at the famed Nike Skills Academy.
    Josh’s playing and teaching experience make him one of the most qualified and experienced personal skills coaches in the country. For any player looking to significantly improve their game, an opportunity to train with Josh is not one to be missed.

About:

Excel Basketball with Josh Oppenheimer is based on improving the serious basketball player both mentally and physically.

Through an assortment of innovative and challenging drills, players will improve their skill level and gain confidence. In basketball as well as in life, confidence is the key to success and through achievement of small goals, long term goals can be obtained.

Becoming a great basketball player is not something that is done overnight. It is a process that takes hard work, dedication, and repetition. This is what Excel basketball is based on. Through this formula, many players’, both male and female, high school, college, European pros, WNBA and NBA, goals and dreams have been met. Regardless of your skill level, through hard work and dedication, your goals and dreams can be achieved.

Testimonial:

“I went into my first workout with an NBA team so nervous!!! When I finished I just shook my head, there wasn’t one thing that we did in the workout that Josh hadn’t prepared me for. I worked out for 16 teams and there wasn’t one player who was more prepared or in better shape than me. After working out with Josh for 8 weeks the NBA team workouts were easy. I took the work I did with Josh into the season and had a better rookie year than anyone thought I could.”

Marcus Thornton – Guard, Sacramento Kings

Workout led by Oppenheimer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ww9lXcfEd14" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I am not disagreeing but Knight went from a .325 shooter his first year with the Bucks to a .409 shooter his second year. Sounds like this guy works on confidence in addition to shooting which is a big deal IMO to keep a guy from getting down on himself too much throughout the season.

17. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Aight, so looking more into Oppenheimer, the only time he's ever referred to as a "shot doctor" is by the author of that one article, and I'm not sure where the author of the article got the idea of calling him a "shot doctor". If you google Josh Oppenheimer shot doctor, literally two articles by the same guy pop up.

I think it needs to be elucidated that Oppenhemier is not a shooting coach, but a player development coach. Also, Oppenheimer was a member of Larry Drew's coaching staff, and was retained by Jason Kidd when he became head coach so I guess J-Kidd saw some value in his coaching. After the Bucks underperformed last season, I think they wanted some changes made.

Anyway, quantifying his success shouldnt boil down to "Did their shooting percentages increase?" as that doesnt cover all his responsibilities as an assistant/player development coach.

18. malakas

malakas Member

Knight wasn't a "bad" shooter. He already had good shooting form.
    I didn't see any of the real bad shooters get better all I'm saying.
    Didn't see shooting improvement on the following : MCW, Ennis, GA, JP, Wolters, Inglis, JOB, Henson, Plumlord. I feel like I'm forgeting some.

The other were already pretty much vets or good shooters already.

Anyway as I said in my first post, he has a good reputation.
    But if you expect miracles especially with the real bad shooting players..good luck.
    I don't think they fired him because they weren't satisfied or anything. I don't believe this. I believe because he wasn't form the Kidd's own choice staff.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Well, this IS the Bucks we are talking about, right? Some organizations just suck historically and it slowly, sometimes not so slowly, takes the very life out of the coaches and players. :grin:

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Les is building the bomb. We're doomed.