1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks shopping Paul Millsap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 2, 2016.

1. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

You dont like good players?

2. flusched

flusched Member

Ditto!

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

How is he declining exactly? He just had the best season of his career and led the league in defensive win shares.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Or maybe they might just want to keep Gordon and let the FAs walk :rolleyes:

Just because someone is good doesn't mean we can trade for them... we basically have 0 assets to offer.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Orlando has ZERO SF on their roster, not counting Meeks. I think they could be in market for 3-D wings or even another Euro like Gentile. Rockets have a bounty of SF and a dearth of big mean, while Orlando has a bounty of big men and a dearth of SF.

There is an opportunity, even if your rolleyes blind you to it.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

From Lowe's article.

7. malakas

malakas Member

sf? What?
    Gordon, Fournier and Hezonja can all play sf.
    If Orlando of all teams is in the market for wings..then who wouldn't!! They are one of the teams most stacked with those.

8. mightybosstone

It's good to know the Rockets were at least having conversations with Atlanta about him. But I think that ship has sailed at this point. Anderson's their 4 for the next few seasons, and I can't imagine them going after Millsap next year in free agency and trying to play both guys in the same starting 5.

9. malakas

malakas Member

not sure it has sailed. They won't be willing to pay him 30+ at his age next season.
    But I don't see how we can trade for him when Sarver and Kroenke want him.
    They have ten times our assets.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

"Why the hell not?!?"

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. basketballholic

Watching Millsap vs. Draymond in a small-ball matchup at the 5 would be epic in my opinion.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This I absolutely agree with.

The thing is, if you can add a talented player such as Millsap, you do it. Worry about the logjam later. Millsap brings so much to the table, very versatile, I'd love him on the Rockets.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

In December you could trade Ryan Anderson for Millsap straight up.

Hawks get a 3pt shooter (under contract) to pair with Dwight.
    Rockets get a 2-way PF to pair with Harden.

The longer the Hawks wait to move UFA Millsap, the less they will get in return.

14. basketballholic

Or perhaps we sign and trade DMO, Brewer, and possibly Bev (if we can sign Chalmers for cheap) for Millsap/Korver now?

15. arjun

arjun Member

A big man rotation of Nene/Capela and Millsap/Anderson would be REALLY AWESOME.

Match this with Harden/Gordon and hopefully another wing we can get via trade...that is some serious fire power.

Not up to GSW or SAS level, but there's no doubt we could be competing for home court.

16. mightybosstone

I love Millsap, but how would he fit in a rotation with Ryan Anderson on the same team? Unless he's playing half of his minutes at the 3 or suddenly grows by four inches and 20 pounds, I just don't think there's enough minutes to go around between those two guys.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Also, Millsap is an expiring, so he'll probably have a say in any trade scenario so, maybe we can have a little bit of hope even if we don't have the best package to trade.

Btw, i love Millsap, but next summer he's going to get paid A LOT, and he'll be 32 or 33...eh...

18. Sanity2disChaos

2 maybe 4 seasons overdue...smh. He should have been a rocket already..

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I like it!

What is funny about the Rockets & Hawks rosters...is I always felt like if you could take Harden (the star, the closer) and put him on the Hawks (who were a great collection of high quality role players) you would have a complete team.

So, adding high quality Hawk role players to a Harden-centric team, just makes sense.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah Millsap's UFA leverage will be key. He can dampen a trade to Phoenix and Denver if he sounds noncommittal to those teams much like I am sure Dwight was with teams at the trade deadline. Millsap will want to be paid, but I am sure being on a playoff team will matter too.

I am sure the Hawks will try to get an "Ibaka" haul, but that might not be out there if Millsap isn't on board.