1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Harden will resign with the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jul 4, 2016.

Tags:
?

Will Harden decide to remain a Houston Rocket when he hits free agency?

1. Yes

82 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No

155 vote(s)
    50.3%
  3. Don't know / Not sure

71 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Actually most tanking teams tank (or at least get stuck down there) for at least 5 years. Even the vaunted lakers are in year 4(?). The Celtics before the great trade of kg Allen were in the Otto for 10 years. Orlando has been rebuilding since they lost Dwight and are still nowhere. Philly of course. Minn has been in be lotto since they traded Garnett. Only now are they coming out after some lotto hits. Look at most of the other teams that have been in the lotto. Not to say taking isn't the right way to rebuild (if you have competent management) but it's hard and people should not assume a 1-3 year window for tanking. I do agree that the new cba will probably include incentives for free agents to stay with their teams or maybe a harsher luxury tax or no cap, etc. so that plus the greater money leads me to say we should take the chance of harden leaving on his own. He's already got his adidas money so he won't get substantially more by moving to LA. Plus the houston strip clubs he keeps in business...

2. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

He will be traded for picks

3. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

I'm having a difficult time imagining why he would resign with Houston given current events. He would have to establish himself as a key piece to a championship puzzle that star players want to sign on and play for championships with. His reputation was certainly heading in that direction after the 2014-15 season, but his rep has regressed significantly since to the point where he is more the player that would be leaving to join a 'super team' than the player that other stars would want to join. Houston can always play the "no state tax" card, but at the rate the salary cap is increasing, the effectiveness of this selling point is sure to diminish. I also personally think that, while Harden's numbers may increase in D'antoni's system, offenses like D'antoni's have historically proven to be good enough for a high water mark of the conference finals (see Kings, Mavs, Suns teams of the 2000's). Even the Warriors play solid defense with a cast of less celebrated complimentary players playing the roles that do the dirty work. Any true super star with a goal of winning titles would probably not take such a destination seriously.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

2 years from now. A lot can and will change. We've given the keys to the franchise to him. He won't let us down.

5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

The Beard will $tay, and re-evolutionize the 1-man show. I don't see Harden joining a super team this soon in his career.
    Le$ will bring the super team to Harden.

6. malakas

malakas Member

being in lottery isn't the same as tanking.
    You can be trying to win now but fail to make the playoffs. Orlando last year was win now but failed same as Utah. They didn't tank.

7. RyanB

RyanB Member

Leaving definitely.

A part from the money Houston can offer, there is no reason he stays, because this team is going nowhere .
    If he really wants a championship he should leave

8. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

See him leaving to go the Lakers.

9. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

And they've been to the same amount of NBA Finals as we have in that time. They just look to be set up better for this new era with a crazy cap jump. They have assets/young players/picks. We only have Harden and we've seen its not enough. D12 signed here after Hardens first season, but who these past 3? Not top guys, B Level guys.

10. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

Call me crazy , but espn radio said Houston would be intriguing for mid-season trade for Westbrook with Harden . I could see them being in the mix . Harden would stay if Westbrook does .

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

As soon as he can... Harden will be off like a prom dress! I'd bet on LA....
    Trade him now and start the rebuild!

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, me too. I'm expecting to see both him & Westbrook end up in La La land when all is said and done.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

the next duo to team up that could shake the league a bit is Harden and westbrook imo. I could see this very much happening somewhere

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

KD and Westbrook go next season after KD wins a ring, Harden follows the year after that.

Although the Lakers might have made this impossible because of their mishandling of the cap.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm on that train but not till next summer. We have a team option for 2017/18

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

What reason is there to go to the Lakers? All team up and go to the Lakers?

You guys are just imagining that. Super teams happen with one superstar actually already on the team because of how the cap works. I'm not sure how the Lakers can fit 3 max players under the cap and have the bird rights to 0 of them.

It's a lot more likely it would happen in Houston just because we already have the said superstar. A team has to already have the bird rights to the star, that's how it works.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Only way I see him staying is if WB and Durant come here next summer.

18. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

With what? What pieces do we have right now beside Harden that would be appealing to anyone? Our pg? Our pf? Capella is probably the most attractive piece, but isn't near enough to get a player like Westbrook and our picks will continue to be just far enough outside of the lottery that they won't be attractive.

19. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I agree. I put the parenthetical in there to differentiate between tanking and being stuck in the lotto. My point was that anyone thinking that a tanking strategy lasts 1-3 years so really understand that after those multiple tanking years you will most likely be stuck in lotto land for many more years. Utah hasn't made the playoffs since the Yao years (I think); Orlando; Philly; MN; even Boston took several years to move from the Big Three era (and they had a great GM). I am ok with tanking; but I slightly prefer re-tooling as long as Morey is on board. I just think it is really hard to get a superstar (top 10, maybe top 5) like Harden. You'd be tanking to find a superstar like James. It would be easier to figure out how to move everyone else around him and keep him. And if he walks, then go full tank.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Westbrook decides where he wants to go.

If he suddenly said "I want to play for Houston, no where else."

For OKC it would be "Okay get something now or nothing at all." I guess that is the scenario in which we could trade for Westbrook.