1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it me or tipping getting out of hand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 26, 2016.

1. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Lawyers get paid well because they have gone through extensive training to gain their skill. Waiters do something 90% of society can do with no training at all, there is no reason for them to be making 100s of dollars a night. I would gladly pay a service fee to get my pizza delivered, but in the meantime, thanks for subsidizing my delivery costs.... sucker.

2. hvic

hvic Member

Some of these servers get paid more than some doctors. I don't care where I am at but will tip if they offer great services

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think you guys are WAY overthinking all of this. LOL.

I tip for good service because, well, it's a nice thing to do. Usually 25% because frankly.....I'm lazy when it comes to math and it's easier to just divide by 4. I tip when tipping is a standard practice and I don't tip when it's not a standard practice.

That's about as complicated as it gets for me.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is what the whole conversation is about ... what is standard practice? Every time you see a tip line or a tip jar?

Speaking of, where is Clutch? I demand him to remove the tip jar. Are we really expected to tip every site we visit?????

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

For those of you mathematically challenged with percentages and on the lower end of the tipping scale, I would say just take the taxes and multiply that number by 2 and leave it as the tip.

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I've been called a cheap b*stard for doing this, and then also rounding that number up a buck or so. I've been told 20% is the flat out minimum.

7. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Do delivery drivers get $2.14 an hour?

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Sounds similar to a criminal....

"thanks for subsidizing my income by going to work, while I can break into your home and take your valuables"

"Thanks for subsidizing my lifestyle by making an honest living and paying your taxes, while I freeload off welfare"

"I'm not tipping unless they FORCE me"

Great mentality

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

CoolGuy, you're actually not vey cool at all.

10. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I've worked as waitress, delivery driver, Masseuse, and passenger assistant.

I feel both sides have some really valid arguments that I agree with.

I do not believe in mandatory gratuity, yet I think it is slightly disrespectful to not tip certain types of workers in specific situations. E.g. the waiter/tress covering a party of 6-20 people and the table only lives a 2-4 dollar tip or someone carrying luggage from one end of the airport to the hotel room. People are people. Though I do believe tipping would be completely unnecessary with "higher wages." I believe if they made some thing in the range of $9-$13 hour, then tipping wouldn't be so necessary or needed, as often.

"Red" states are already reluctant with raising wages, much less having a threshold. They believe that businesses shouldn't be told what to pay their workers, just as they believe smaller (*cough* and larger corporation*) businesses (owners) would suffer in profits, if they are forced to pay workers with higher wages and benefits. Adam Ruins Everything actually made a good video about the history of tipping. It's worth a watch.

Some companies hold unusual policies for tipping, anything. It's kind of weird dynamic, because they are companies that "fire" their workers for taking tips, donations, or unregulated income, yet their workers are near minimum wage in earnings.

Many people wonder why they have bad services (customer service, residential service, public works/service, and assistances) - not limited to tipping jobs, I want to fault the companies for creating an environment to "simply" just run services that are "good enough" -- low payed, low skilled, and quickly trained workers with very little rights or job security to do specific jobs. While, overpaying people in administrative positions or job functions that actually have very little effect on day-to-day operations. Then, companies and customers turn around and wonder why such services are so rangy in mediocrity to putridness to begin with in these services.

In America, we "LOVE" cheap labor, as much as we do cheap goods.

That's where the problem and solution exist.

1 person likes this.
  12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Where I live, servers don't make $2.14 per hour. On the other hand, there are lawyers who work cases pro bono and make $0.00 per hour.
    As a lawyer I can say I have never gotten a quarterly bonus in any amount and I work whatever hours are necessary to get all of my work done. I am also aware that not every server works Friday and Saturday night. No one needs tips. If you don't like the pay at your job, quit.
    It is a **** system wherein the customer is beholden to give their money to servers regardless of service based on fear of retaliation upon repeat business. The fact that a person who is doing very light manual labor has the nerve to complain that anyone is not giving him enough EXTRA money, is absolutely astounding.
    I need to drive all the time in my work, and still no one tips me. I can charge milage, but then so can delivery drivers.
    A lawyer gets paid the amount they negotiate, just like everyone else. It isn't like the government mandates wages for attorneys and delivery drivers, save that the government mandates a minimum wage for everyone.
    I have a feeling that there would still be delivery drivers without tips, just like there are millions of other crappy jobs that still get filled. Eventually, the market would set the wage necessary to draw interest in the job.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Independent contractors have more deductions.

Lawyer is another form of independent contractors. They get more deductions than a delivery driver.

True, but Cukeguy would be "carrying out" since he's too cheap for the delivery market.

14. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

That's basically the bottom line on this whole thread. Most of the people on here go to crappy chain restaurants and order terrible food, and they're not prepared to suddenly pay 24 bucks as opposed to 15 bucks to have their Jack Daniel's Toby Keith-styled Chesney-well done'd sirloin prepared for them at cost.

Same with terrible delivery pizza. "Three bucks to have it driven to my duplex within 35 minutes? But I already paid a two buck delivery charge! I had to walk ALL THE WAY OVER from the couch to sign the receipt! THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!!"

1 person likes this.
  15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Your point has been made, but can you bother to make a post on here without being pretentious/sententious?

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned. But the nice people out there that tip subsidize the trash that goes into those places that doesn't tip.