1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson signs with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DustinS, Jul 2, 2016.

?

Do you like the 4-year, $80M signing by the Rockets of Ryan Anderson?

1. YES

350 vote(s)
    54.6%
  2. NO

291 vote(s)
    45.4%
  1. kevtse

kevtse Member

We do have a big group who are not shy of shooting - Harden, Ariza, Beasley, Smith, Bev, Brewer....

2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFZHfyuwuI4 [/youtube]

I think these two help pelicans that one year get better, if healthy, and anderson is on point, it will be good with Harden. They just need a good Rebounding Center and a pure point guard. Rubio and Sullinger comes to mind.

3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

[youtube]LFZHfyuwuI4[/youtube] oops

1 person likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

People that think Ryan Anderson shooting is for whatever reason just declining will be in for a nice surprise this year. If he's getting those same looks that Beverley. ariza, etc have been getting for years which he probably will playing with harden, it's going to be money next year. By far the best true shooter we've picked up in recent years

5. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Looks like a lesser Dirk.

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

No problem. I am away from the 8th onwards, So it would have been difficult anyway.

If you do visit the Netherlands again let me know. Even if you only stay in Amsterdam, it is only an hour drive from my home to Amsterdam, So we could meet.

7. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

This guy is gonna be badass for the Rox next year!

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Will do. Honestly, the towns and cities outside of Amsterdam appeal more to me than Amsterdam itself, and it's not terribly far to go to darn near anywhere in the country with the superb transportation system your country has. I had a girlfriend in Haarlem an age ago and loved going there from A'dam.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

He balled out that game.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In 2017, Ryan Anderson's salary will comprise ~18% of the projected salary cap. In 2014 cap terms, that's an $11.3M salary. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Relativity?src=hash">#Relativity</a></p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/749641375541440512">July 3, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It doesn't look as bad when you put it like that.

11. ziebarf

ziebarf Member

Man, our starting five is going to be lethal on offense. We basically signed a poor mans Kevin Love. Although I think Ryan can get his shot off faster than KLove, which was a an issue on switches in the finals. Ryan seems to give less of a damn and will let it fly over smaller defenders.

So we went from having only one option on offense to having 3-4 guys in our starting unit that can get their own shot. Buckets!

12. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

Ariza is our biggest weakness. So sick of his pull up midrange jumpers.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

I think you're assuming that the starting 5 is including Eric Gordon when it's likely not. Beverley is starting barring any other trades for a upgrade at the pg position. But that doesn't mean Gordon and harden won't be seeing significant time together on the court

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

How is he a poor man's Kevin Love? I keep seeing this comparison. He can't pass or rebound anywhere as good as Kevin Love. He can't even post up down low like him either.

15. ziebarf

ziebarf Member

Yeah, they were painful, hopefully we will see less of those. They seemed to be a product of a stagnant offense. Ariza just needs to be a leader, a good defender, and bang the corner 3.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, that comparison feels lazy to me as well. They're both offense-first big men, but beyond that, there's a lot of difference. You're right that Love is a better passer/rebounder/post player, but I'd also note that Anderson is substantially better at playing in space and creating off the dribble (isolation). In today's "small ball" era, Love fits better against 5s, while Anderson is a clear 4.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

His game looks more like Dirk's the Kevin Love's. And I'm speaking just in style not in effectiveness. His game is all about the jump shot and he has that wacky off balance one legged jump shot that Dirk does as well too.

18. ziebarf

ziebarf Member

Good point, just thinking through different line-ups. Potential combination of Harden, DMO(if we resign him), Beasley, Anderson, Gordon. We have some nice shot creation at their respective positions. Which will hopefully lend to a less stagnant offense.

I guess the comparison comes from them being similar height, weight, age, and being stretch 4's. Their post up stats appear to be similar as well:

http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2016/2/17/finding-a-home-for-ryan-anderson

But you're right, rebounding, passing, and efficiency is the 8-10 million dollar difference between the two.

19. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I like him. But $20M per year is too much.

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

Absolute perfect fit for Harden, Moreyball, and D'Antoni. How the **** are people complaining about this move and signing Gordon. Get over the $20 million/yr contract, that amount isn't considered overpaying anymore with the new salary cap.