1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it me or tipping getting out of hand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The more you invest in something, the more you should get out.

LOL.... not quite $25/hr, but $14 is a good start.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

boo-hoo. As a 'co-owner', maybe you should raise your prices instead of expecting a tip. If you want a tip, earn it. Don't expect it.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Hourly wage (whatever the market demands) + $.55 a mile.

4. hvic

hvic Member

pretty fair wage

5. hvic

hvic Member

I thought usually the owners that cut hair would be at the higher expertise level and charge more due to there experience. Thats what my gf told me. I still believe in tipping the hair stylist but I dont think the owners are cutting at cost or like another poster mention that you may want to increase your prices then.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Always tip musicians. Always.

7. Buck Turgidson

That's the entire restaurant industry, the kitchen works exponentially harder than the front staff but it's rare that they get anything. Nice (rich) people at nice restaurants will occasionally buy the kitchen staff a beer.

You tip the stylist/barber that cuts your hair.

8. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

yea I own a nail salon so it's pretty much the same. I don't understand why he said you tip the owner. The owners get a commission of all the services that are done. The stylist gets the commission and the tip.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Are you still writing, as well?

Just seems like a fun mix. :grin:

10. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

This whole epidemic would stop if we all just stopped tipping....cold turkey. Then employers will be forced to increase wages or they will lose their labor force. To compensate, employers will increase prices to a level that covers the increased wages but does not diminish sales. Then all the guess work will be gone and we would function like all other countries.

11. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Maybe if you didnt give your money away for no reason you wouldnt drive a ****ty corolla

1 person likes this.
  12. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

I do hate it when they "ask" for tip. I worked at restaurants, food trucks, I never ask for tip. You give it or not that's up to you. But I provide top shelf service no matter if you do or don't, because that's my job. Now in restaruants, I always tip at least 15-18% - if the server is exceptionally good then 20%. I don't really tip if it's the places where you order at the counter and pick up your own food, but if they were nice and try to strike up a friendly convo i'll give a $ or $$.

13. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

I know at a certain japanese grill restaruant the servers have to tip out to the chefs/bussers every night no matter how much tip they got. So if they didn't make anything that night, they have to PERSONALLY take out their money to give to the chefs/bussers. It sucks. But that's on the owners/management, the waiters/waitresses still have to live..

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

For a writer you seem to miss the entire point.

It's not about being able to afford to pay tip, nobody is arguing they are too poor to tip.

It's about a stupid system that has fallen far far from its original purpose, which is to reward extra levels of service. Now it became a mandatory thing for no reason other than owners arbitrarily don't want to pay their staff forces it onto the customers. Also tipping is neither balanced or fair to everybody in the service, some hardworking people gets nothing, some people rewarded just because it's the way it is.

No other continent in the world operates like North America with the tipping culture, and yet people will keep harping on being cheap, even though it's clearly not about the specific amount of money being spent on tips.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

This made me LOL

16. trustme

trustme Member

I agree with person a few posts above. Why should I pay waiter more for bringing out a $30 steak vs an $8 appetizer? Did basically the exact same work.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

Including upgrading my PC and possible gaming paraphernalia, probably around 2-3k a year.

And like some people already pointed out, you missed the point.

18. Nook

Nook Member

If you cannot afford to tip on a $30 steak, then don't order a $30 steak...

Also, where in the hell are you eating where you get a $30 steak?

Do you hit Applebee's for the all you can eat salad from the horse trough and a well done petite New York strip with A-1 and slap down a $2 tip?

19. Nook

Nook Member

Giving money away for no reason?

Get out of here, you cheap ****.

You obviously do not appreciate service.

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

It's their companies that don't appreciate service. If they did they would pay them a good wage instead of expecting their customers to act as some pseudo-employer.