1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Al Horford meeting with Rockets on Friday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NBA sources confirm the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> will meet with Al Horford tomorrow.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/748551700672184322">June 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Why are y'all getting excited?

The best minds of clutchfans have already let it be known that no one and I mean NO ONE wants to play with James Harden. Not a fringe player, not an average player and certainly not a max player is going to consider playing with Harden. I mean who wants to watch a guy slowly dribble the ball up the court then dribble it 30 times only to jack up a 3 or fire a pass at the last second EVERY time down the court?

No one.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

I wouldn't say "a good shot" but it would definitely help us attract other good players. I would think it would help our chances at Durant go from something like very highly unlikely to just unlikely or something like that. But I would think it would also increase chances of being able to add other pieces like maybe Conley or Lin as well.

A front court rotation of Capela, Horford and DMo wouldn't be too shabby at all.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

He is meeting with the Rockets tomorrow, not signing with them.. I guess this is good progress but if he leaves without a commitment then this will likely be all for nothing..

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

per 36 he's a 17/8 guy who is a good passer (about 3.5 dimes) and will give you a couple blocks while playing good defense. That is what constitutes a max player in this market, and at least he's versatile (4/5) and consistent. It would be a good use of our cap money in this crazy market. and it would help us attract other players. This is all with the caveat that we are in win-now mode; with Les having clearly chosen that direction.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

But.. but..

..if we sign Horford then the Rockets marketing team could still use the "H-Town" slogan?

7. tosweet68

tosweet68 Member

He'll receive max money whether it is from the Rockets or someone else. Every team he meets with will offer him that.....unless they cannot but they offer close to that with a good chance at a title....San Antonio, OKC, GSW for example.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Your agent is not doing his job if he doesn't get you meeting with all the teams you might be interested in... every coach will have a different role for you... so don't get too excited over meeting announcement..... who am I kidding, it's Summer GO NUTS!

But I do think Horford is probably the top free agent we actually might sign.

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

A bit early to be sarcastic about that based on 1 meeting with Al Horford. He's stated before that he prefers to stay on the east coast anyway.

1 person likes this.
  10. Sanity2disChaos

Has he ever played with a player like HARDEN??

Better yet HARDEN and DURANT!??

Dude would BAAAALLLLLLL out with no pressure of being the focus of everyone's attention. Think Bosh...

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

And that's fine as long as they are not looking to put him at C next to DMO next year. That's a pretty soft front court when the playoffs show rebounding is probably the most important need.

12. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Michael Scotto is pretty legit as far as I have seen.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

We are losing one of the best rebounders in the league in Dwight. Hope were not looking to replace that with just Horford next to DMO. Now...Whiteside and Horford front line tickles my taint.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That would be a pretty good front court actually. Plenty of spacing on offense, very solid on defense. Probably the best front court the Rockets could hope to have next season.

15. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

We need great players that play well with Harden. Since Dwight can't make a jumper he clogs the paint too much for harden by not bringing his defender out. That's why I don't mind Dwight leaving, personally I don't want us to over pay for that.

#55 danoman, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Which other FA that the Rockets is going to sign this summer that you believe is a better player than Dwight?

Or just do a simple Dwight against Horford comparison :

Dwight
    FG% : 62%
    FT % : 49%
    Pt : 13.7
    Reb : 11.8 Reb
    Blocks : 1.6

Horford
    FG% : 50.5%
    3 pt FG% : 34.4%
    FT % : 79.8% on 1.6 FTA per game
    Pt : 14.3
    Reb : 7.3
    Blocks : 1.5

And somehow you believe the Rockets will be much better in the C position on this move?

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-wadebosh070610

This is an eerily similar situation.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Horford and Conley would be outstanding

Not getting hopes up for Durant but signing Horford gives you a better chance

19. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Horford is much better than Kanter imo

20. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

I hope so...