1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it me or tipping getting out of hand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

******* if this isn't irony coming from hotballa

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Yeah we get that. The employee delivering the food should be compensated by the company, not the "optional" charge from the customer.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Think the same about waiters/waitress/bartenders?

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Whens the last time you tipped your janitor for doing his job? Every time he takes out the trash?

Wait, what's that? You don't tip him? Oh.. cool parallel argument bruh.

5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I tip people with non-tip jobs very often. You're probably too cheap to believe that though.

btw- the parallel was, being an ass vs not being an ass.... hence leaving a mess for a janitor since it's their JOB to cleanup.

6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Which would lead to a delivery charge, ie, a mandatory tip you had no control over.

What's wrong with paying a delivery driver a tip? If you don't like tipping them, go pick up the food yourself. That's always an option. That you choose to have someone deliver it to you is then also a choosing to compensate them for the convenience.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Herea what I'll say about dominos... And the pizza industry in genereal.

I worked for dominos and the inside people are the ones that due about 85% of the work and they are getting paid the least... Meanwhile drivers come in grab a pizza than smoke pot on the way to bad ass tips.

Long story short if your going to tip anybody in the pizza industry I would tip insiders cause they are the ones making your pizza and taking the orders

8. PeppermintCandy

Why would you want control over this?

9. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I think people would rather take the guess work out. If you tip too little, you're a douche - but how much is too little? 10%, 15%? I heard 18% is considered lowballing. 20%? Who knows.

Give people fair pay, and take tipping out of it. If I only tip 18% I don't want to have slow service next time because other people are tipping 25%.

I mean, be realistic. Compare a low end mexican restaurant to chili's. Chili's has higher prices, but those two are really doing the same work. Heck, the mexican place might do more because they have to get your chips filled. But, because the chili's price tag is bigger, I'm supposed to tip the chili's person more? If I order a steak VS a hamburger, did the waiter/waitress do extra work?

If I go to a steak place that's really nice, but I get the chicken, does that mean they did less work so I can just tip them less?

I think its the whole X% of the price that makes it so weird. Just pay people for the work they do.

10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Insiders can walk to work.

Drivers need 1) dependable vehicles 2) valid drivers licenses 3) insurance (unless they wanna be bold)

The worst trips for automobiles are short trips, which entails every delivery.

Oh, and drivers are more likely to get robbed.

11. likestohypeguy

What about a place like Noodles-And-More, where they don't even bring or refill your drink? I feel like that's even less than typical bufffets, because they only bring you your soup and sandwich, a one time delivery, then you get your own accoutrements, drink & refills, napkin & silverware.

I never even considered tipping there until yesterday, thinking about this thread. And noticed they keep asking me if everything's okay, so obviously they're expecting a tip.

I tip my hair stylist well. Unfortunately I only learned after years of doing so that you're not even supposed to tip the owner, which he is. Can't go back now.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have no problem with paying for services rendered. My agreement is with the company, not the individual showing up at my doorstep. Perhaps instead of charging for food, maybe we should just tip the company instead?

As mentioned, tipping is going beyond what is expected, not some optional guilted fee on top of my order.

I find it exceptionally annoying being pan handled with tips by employees at every service oriented business I goto.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Every single pizza place or food place I've ordered delivery from charge me a delivery fee. The Drivers always asks for tips on top of that..

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

What would consider a fair hourly wage for someone using their personal vehicle delivering food to you?

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This thread reeks of poverty.

- bigtexx

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What the hell does that have to do with anything to do with tipping.

I use my personal chef's knives to prep food for you in a restaurant, are you going to tip me more.

17. hvic

hvic Member

that is where I am on the borderline. I would eat at mom and pop restaurants and the owner would take my order. How much should I tip them

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So, you're saying I have to pay the guy for not robbing him?

He's living the dream. :grin:

19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I did a search on uberestimate.com. To get me from the pizza place to my house would be "estimated" price of $5-6. So this is about like...10 minutes of driving. This is uberX...if you drive a suburban super exotic car, you shouldn't be delivering pizzas.

I know they drive a lot of places. But I'd guess if they just got the delivery fee ($2-3 for every delivery) instead of it going to the company, they'd be good with $10 per hour or something like that. I don't get why delivery fees go to the store. Does it cost them any extra to deliver a pizza?

I guess it costs them the driver. So maybe the delivery fee is a way of collecting the drivers wages, instead of including it into every pizza (IE, why would people who always pick up their pizza subsidize the pizza delivery costs for those who don't?) So maybe the delivery fee should be larger ($5 instead of $2) and it should go entirely to the pizza delivery person. That would put them on par with Uber. Condition there would be they don't get paid if they don't deliver. If they get hourly wage, they'd be able to not deliver and get paid. If they delivered 5 pizzas in 60 minutes, at 5 per delivery, that's about $25/hour. Maybe they should move to that model?

20. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I am the co-owner of a hair salon. You tip the owner. They're working for cost, if that.

I just don't get it. I drive a 2008 Corolla with 111,000 miles on it, but I can afford to tip well. I'm not living on Ramen and government cheese because I tip people.

It's like some of you never got over the realization that you could buy three DiGiornos for the same price as a medium Pizza Hut pie with two toppings, or that one well whiskey and Coke costs 1/3rd the price of a bottle of cheap bourbon. Yeah, we were all 19 once, geniuses, then we figured how this stuff works.

I wonder how much money per year some of the feverish anti-tipping people, "adults," spend on freaking video games.

Some of you need help.

#120 KellyDwyer, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016