1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans 2016 NBA Draft Thread (6/23/2016)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 23, 2016.

1. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

Morey said that he had 2 deals to be in the 1st round, but the players he wanted were picked up early. Any idea of the players?

2. basketballholic

Maker was one of them.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i don't think trades and free agency will be enough. just look at the roster. It's actually below average. Maybe we get to above average when all of the moves are done. But other than landing Durant (which i think is fair to say is a stretch), in what reality will this roster be legit contenders anytime soon?

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agreed. Here's the roster as of today (leaving off Jones, Brewer, Terry)

PG:
    Pat Beverley
    Gary Payton II

SG:
    James Harden
    KJ McDaniels
    Andrew Goudeluck

SF:
    Trevor Ariza
    Sam Decker
    Kyle Wiltjer

PF:
    Dmo
    Michael Beasley
    Montrezl Harrell

C:
    Clint Capela
    Chinanu Onuaku

That is not an winning NBA roster. Certainly not a playoff roster. You have an all star SG, and after that, you have question marks.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would add Georges Niang to that list.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah that's cuz you're leaving 42M capspace LMAO obv it wouldn't look good when you have 1 guy making 16M, 2 guys making 7M each and then the rest are rookies or vet mins.

No matter who they sign unless its KD the Rockets won't have the fire power to be considered top contenders that's because GSW and Cavs are too stacked with GSW having 5 all stars quality starters and a deep bench and Cavs have the best player on the planet+good supporting cast. We'll have to see what happens but I'm not holding my breath at the msot likely scenario is we only get to be a bit better than Clips but still worse than GSW and Cavs.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Niang was drafted by the Pacers.

1 person likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kenny Gaines ‘definitely interested’ in Houston Rockets’ Summer League offer

1 person likes this.
  10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

This draft just didn't have the firepower I was hoping for, but I guess being a Rockets fan takes patience. You've gotta fall on your face until things start to improve.

Anyway, the Rockets were very quiet, as I was told to expect. There were some discussions with Philly, but I'm told NN wasn't the primary target. For whatever reason;), somebody in the organization was interested in some footwork and frontcourt depth. I don't know the details of the proposed deal(s), but Pat and KJ were discussed, though I wasn't told if it was separately or the two guys packaged together.

SacTown did its due diligence for guard and tweener depth. I guess we didn't bite on anything, and depending on who you are as a fan, that may be disappointing or a relief (The popular opinion in the GARM seems to be to ship Mr. Brewer out at all costs. It sounds like that may be a much more difficult task than we'd prefer. The contract with last season's output doesn't scream comfort.) Admittedly, I was relieved that Trev survived another day.:)

Peace +

1 person likes this.
  11. basketballholic

Talks about Embiid were simply an excuse to get to Noel. Although if the price were right we'd take a chance on Embiid.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thanks Cod. Hard draft to stomach; for me this offseason just keeps getting worse. I wish I could be optimistic, but it just seems like we want it fast and easy, and I don't think it's gonna work.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ESPN's Ratings For NBA Draft Lowest Since 2012 While Yahoo Gets 2.8M Viewers: <a href="https://t.co/EJB0Dvx0Jo">https://t.co/EJB0Dvx0Jo</a> <a href="https://t.co/oz5y5SyNnw">pic.twitter.com/oz5y5SyNnw</a></p>&mdash; RealGM (@RealGM) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/746511304920203264">June 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but here are the rankings of the Rockets' draft picks and signings on the DraftExpress Top 100 List:

Zhou Qi - #36
    Chinanu Onuaku - #38
    Gary Payton - #48
    Isaiah Taylor - #67
    Kyle Wiltjer - #75

Not too shabby.

1 person likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Must of missed that, what about Ibeh??

16. raining threes

nf

Facts are Le$$$ inherited a championship team when he bought this franchise. 2 decades later the city of Houston is still hoping that he will bring back what he bought.

Rockets fans I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on another ting. Good news is that Le$$$ is getting older so things will be better if the right person buys the franchise after Le$$ is planted.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just noticed Shawn Long has signed a two year deal with Philly.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yep and also moves it to Las Vegas and the Rockets becomes the Las Vegas Aces, because Las Vegas is 4X more profitable and moving the team might give it a clean slate and high picks like what happened to OKC. I dunno why people assume when Les sells the team the owner is automatically gonna be way better, as far as owners go you won't find a lot better than Les Alexander there's a high chance you'll get a worse owner than him there are more owners who buy a franchise to make money off it than owners like Cuban who are mega billionaires and also addicted to bball.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ibeh will be playing for the Bucks summer league team.

20. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Anyone have insider that can post this article, not sure if any of the Rockets 2nd rounders are mentioned:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Looked at the best and worst value picks in the draft based on my player projections: <a href="https://t.co/kQNNAKKdxl">https://t.co/kQNNAKKdxl</a> (In)</p>&mdash; Kevin Pelton (@kpelton) <a href="https://twitter.com/kpelton/status/746737955851493376">June 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>