1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we building to compete for the title next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 24, 2016.

?

Are we building to compete for the title in 16-17?

1. Yes if we get Durant

25 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. Yes even if we don't get Durant

40 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. No, even if we get Durant

36 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. No if we don't get Durant

34 vote(s)
    19.8%
  5. Yes if we get Durant, No if we don't get Durant

37 vote(s)
    21.5%
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It might take a year, but that doesn't mean they're not shooting for a ring before that.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're building to score in bunches and have a sieve for a defense next year. Hey, at least it'll be entertaining!

#22 Plowman, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought Les was always building a mediocre team to contend for the 2nd round every year.

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Depends if the Beard goes god mode the entire year.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

you mean convince him not to sign with us or is that not a typo? either way, i dont care. send whoever thinks conley and horford on 25m+ max contracts wont destroy this team

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is like suggesting learn to ride a bike when have not even learned how to walk

Make the 2nd or 3rd round year in and year out and we are talking.

7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

With MikeD I'm pretty sure you're just tanking and hoping to have a fun offense. No team series about winning would hire a guy who doesn't talk defense.

8. Stardog75

Stardog75 Member

I think a realistic best case scenario would be bowing out in WCF. That's IF we get 2 big time free agents, Capela takes another step up in his game and DMo comes back and is healthy and productive. In other words, we will likely be somewhere between 6th-10th in the west.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This. All of this.

If we're going to seriously compete we need a game-changer. A serious game-changer.

Harden + returning cast + minimal upgrades is a battle to finish .500; not compete for a championship.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

You mean except LeBron and Cavs right? And OKC gave them all they could handle but didn't finish job.

11. alethios

alethios Member

None of the above.

All of the above.

Somewhere in between.

What was the question?

12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

we ain't getting jack **** this off-season. there are better locations for FAs to go rather than a 8th seeded team full of lock room problems.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Building to compete for the 14th pick.

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

exactly.

15. Oracle

Oracle Member

I don't see how the team could be upgraded to contender. I think Howard should have been traded for assets in order to be competitive in the market. Ibaka already went to Orlando. The big men FA market seems fairly dry anyway. For D'Antoni style, I believe DeAndre Jordan would be a good fit. I just don't see how he could be obtained.

16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

If we were getting Durant we absolutely would be competing for a title next year. Without even knowing who fills out the roster thats a certainty.

Unfortunately, we're not getting Durant and that's a certainty now too. A sleeper doesn't come out of nowhere and swoop up the top free agent and top 3 player in the league. You don't have to buy in to the reports that stein reported where he wasn't considering us, but the fact is there are no reports that he is considering us.

I don't see us getting any of KD, Conley, Hordford, Noah or Whiteside.

It's quite possible our starting line-up next year is Bev/Harden/Ariza/Dmo/Capela (though I do think Ariza will be traded, but not for a game-changer). And frankly, I'm ok with that as long as our players have the right attitude. We'll probably lose in the first round, but Harden will have an MVP-like season and we will win a lot more regular season games than most would guess.

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If we don't get a guy like Durant, Cousins or any of the big name guys expect Les to start cutting cost to make sure we are way below the cap and still make a profit. It is what he is known to do. He is a Cheap A $$ punk.

18. basketballholic

Bev, Harden, Ariza, Capela, DMo would just be a wasted season and most likely a lottery team. They would be worse than last season.

We need to sign Uthoff and catch lightning in a bottle with him. And then make trades.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Can't answer the poll because we apparently aren't even getting a sit-down with Durant. He has nothing to do with our offseason.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I hope not. We should be building a contender that can last 10 years, starting whenever.