1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: 2016 Offseason Pre-Draft Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, May 10, 2016.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

@WojVerticalNBA: RT @ShamsCharania: Vertical Sources: NBA has informed its teams that the projected salary cap will rise to $94M for 2016-'17 season. Higher than expected $92M.

@WojVerticalNBA: RT @ShamsCharania: Details on the NBA's new, elevated salary cap projections at @TheVertical. https://t.co/kjeRyljPWS/s/Z2ql

#81 mikol13, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins
    If Dwight Howard elects to leave the Houston Rockets, the team will have more than $45 million in salary cap

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Good news...i guess...? Maybe we can keep one of our young guys easily.

4. basketballholic

See.......game 7 worth an extra $60 million in cap space. #nbaconspiracy

5. mikol13

Supporting Member

My mind is completely open to things like this. I think after Tim Donaghy was popped and started talking it should've opened some eyes. I'm not saying I believe Donaghy 100% of the time as he clearly has an axe to grind, but come on.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd be happy with Howard back on a 4 year deal, starting at 24 mill and declining by 4.5% every year under a 94 mill cap, that will soon jump to 110 mill next year.

If Howard walks, we better replace him with Whiteside, Horford or Gasol because we need to have a great pick and roll big in MDA' s system.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally i would not keep Dwight at all -> at this point, the relationship is just not good enough to work out imo...BUT, if he makes up his mind, accepts his role and we can't sign better guys, the best i would give him is a 20x3 with a team option for last year, a longer contract would be too risky.

8. basketballholic

........or Noel.

9. mikol13

Supporting Member

Honest question...What in the world has Dwight shown you that you'd be comfortable signing him to a four year deal? Being solid in the playoffs two of his first three years is not good enough.

The unwillingness to play to his strengths at this point in his career is mind boggling to me. Dwight would not have had an issue getting a four year deal at big money if he didn't show and then admit to the world that he pouted when things didn't go his way.

If Dwight opts in and I'm GM, I try like hell to trade him. I don't trust that he will play up to his capabilities nor do I trust his health.

10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No to Dwight. yes to Whiteside.

If Dwight opts out, the team could add Whiteside and Conley, with only minor roster tweaks. I say this not as something that is likely to happen, but as an example of what a good position the Rockets are in. They could very easily make major improvements to this team.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd prefer Whitside too, because of age. We may not get Whiteside though. What do we do it Whiteside and Horford sign elsewhere? We are left with no great pick and roll option. Capela is promising, but we are in win now more. MDA' s system is pick and roll, we have should have a great pick and roll big.

He wasn't solid, he was great. He's shows plenty, she's shown that even if he isn't the best anymore, he's still very good. Elite rebounding, grest defense, shot blocking, elite finishing around the basket, excellent pick and roll big.

His health is a concern, but again, if we can't resign Howard or sign a great big thrlugh FA, we will be left with a pick n roll system with nobody to do a pick n roll with. I don't think we have the assets to trade for one either.

Under a 110 mill cap, I'm comfortable with having Howard on that type of deal. If he's making 22 and 21 mill per his last two years we're fine. That's only 20% of the cap, even if Howard is barely a good starter at thag point. that's like 14-13 mill under our current cap. That's Tyson Chandler money man.

Noel would be a decent get by with what assets? He's a similar version of Capela, promising, real potential to be a good starting center, but currently isn't a great pick and roll big, who can anchor the defense against the best bigs in the league.

I wouldn't mind giving him a little more up front on a declining deal, and yes only bring him back if he wants to be back.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Kind of hoping Tyler Ulis slips to the Rockets at #37, he's small but very talented. And lots of high potential Bigs will still be on the board between #37 and #43. I hope Morey learned his lesson from the 2008 draft when he took Joey Dorsey at #33 in a trade while passing on #35 DeAndre Jordan and the 36th pick Omer Asik.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

To me it's very simple: if KD doesn't sign here we won't be contenders before Harden's contract is up. And the likelihood of signing KD is low. So we should be thinking about blowing up the roster and starting the rebuild now. Teams aren't gonna pony up for harden if he's leaving a year later and he may want is freedom in free agency. Now is the time to move him.

14. battousai

battousai Member

That only makes sense if we didnt hired TD as head coach. With the head coach we pretty much telling harden that we want him for the long term. The team will be built around him, no doubt.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

@Bima

What are the current max's exactly?

I thought the mini max was 22 million and mid tier 26.4 million? Is that still the case or is is 23.5 million for the mini max and 28.2 million for mid tier max now? I'm seeing different numbers in in different reports.

16. craguin

craguin Member

Bima retweeted this from Larry Coon on his Twitter feed:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per sources, latest projections for maximum salaries for 2016-17: 0-6 years = $22,200,000; 7-9 years = $26,600,000; 10+ years = $31,000,000.</p>&mdash; Larry Coon (@LarryCoon) <a href="https://twitter.com/LarryCoon/status/743936250311172097">June 17, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This one is on Bobby Marks' Twitter feed:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As <a href="https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania">@ShamsCharania</a> noted cap now projected to be $94m for 16-17. Max salaries now project to be- Tier 1: $22m, Tier 2: 26.4; Tier 3: $30.8.</p>&mdash; Bobby Marks (@BobbyMarks42) <a href="https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/743910376241270784">June 17, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Bima -
    I used the numbers from http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/hou/salary

By my calculations, about $7M in cap space

(1) So if the Rox were to do a 3-team deal (HOU, PHO, PHI)

HOU In: PG Eric Bledsoe (PHO) [$14M] + F/G Robert Covington (PHI) [$1M]

PHO In: C Jahlil Okafor (PHI) [$4.4M] + F Sam Dekker (HOU) [$1.7M]

PHI In: G/F Corey Brewer (HOU) [$7.6M] + future 1st from HOU + rights to Gentile

(2) Sign C Dewayne Dedmon to mid-level exception (3 years)
    (3) Match any “reasonable” offer to Motiejunas

We could have a roster that looks like:

Bledsoe // Beverley // Payton II
    Harden // Gordon // McDaniels
    Ariza // Beasley // Covington
    Anderson // Motiejunas // Harrell
    Capela // Dedmon // Onuaku

Feasible or nawh?

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's extremely far off. Brewer, a 1st and rights to Gentile MIGHT get us just Covington if we're lucky. Definitely not Okafor.

19. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I originally had Phoenix including Miami's pick to Philly, but the reality Okafor really didn't set the world on fire as a rook. Plus most teams know Philly is trying to unload him

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Are we capped out for the next three years?