1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So today sucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Jun 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

If you live in Houston, go to this link as soon as you can:

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=psychiatrists&find_loc=Houston,+TX

I cannot stress enough how important psychiatry and pharmaceuticals are to your solution. P and P.

2. dandorotik

Start here- 896 listings (I know all won't be relevant, but 900+ is a good pool to draw from):

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=accountant&l=Houston,+TX

1 person likes this.
  3. dandorotik

4. thabeet

thabeet Member

Sorry to hear that :( was this big 4 public accounting?

1 person likes this.
  5. dandorotik

1 person likes this.
  6. dandorotik

Of course, if you look outside of accounting, that's fine - just go to Indeed and type in that job title.

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Sorry to hear that man, just graduated with an engineering degree recently, been looking for a job ever since and still no luck so far.

1 person likes this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

three times for me and each time was difficult yet easier. it seems bleak but perhaps this extra time you have you can pick up an additional certification/license or do some freelance work, etc... while you continue to look for work. worst thing you can do is feel sorry for yourself and do nothing. won't fix anything and only make you waste precious time in hindsight. good luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Dan, thanks for your contributions man. Always spot on. Quick question though. Do you think that cover letters are still relevant and as useful? I know that my closest colleagues and I never give them the slightest look. Have you heard differently from others in the industry? If so, I should probably put one or two together for myself.

Also, on a related note. When applying for jobs, don't skimp out on the fields on the actual job application itself. Even though it may be the same info from your attached resume. Don't ever freaking put "See Reseme" anywhere on your application. :mad:

On many Applicant Tracking Systems, the software that companies use for thier recruiting and online application process, it's just easier and more efficient for recruiting and HR to skim through candidate applications before ever viewing resumes and cover letters. I'm familiar with the format of our job application and can gather whether or not a candidate is qualified in seconds. The resume is always the second thing that I look at after the job application.

Be informative, but to the point. Don't put any negative info at all anywhere in your job application or resume. Capitalize the first letter of keywords from the job descriptions throughout your resume and job application. The fact is that the person reading it is likely skimming first, reviewing second, then reading third. So know that and put yourself ahead of the crowd.

Best of luck to OP and anyone else searching for a gig.

1 person likes this.
  10. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

I agree

1 person likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Don't hesitate to search on craigslist. I see plenty of accounting jobs there.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

In Nigeria?

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Prince Nonataku has billions of dollars and needs to hire a personal accountant, but first he needs your bank info to make sure you can at least handle your own finances.

#53 Haymitch, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This. That man put in work on this thread (No job pun intended). Repped, thanks for taking the time to help others out man.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No dummy, here in houston.

$ 9 an hour and can easily increase if you have "wicked skills".

Requirements: Bachelors degree preferred or CPA with 2 recommendation letters.

16. conquistador#11

well he didn't say what kind of roof. When I think of jumping of a roof, it's of 10 ft ceiling.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He is a good dude. We had a great exchange about resumes not too long ago. If I was seriously job hunting, I would definitely pay his service to update mine.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Then broaden your scope of what an ideal job is, either by title, compensation, industry or location. Not to be cynical but I bet headhunters eat you for lunch in face-to-face meetings: they don't know anything about the industries or jobs they recruit for, so they overcompensate and screen candidates based on perceived attitude and personality.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You'd also want to remember to take your cat up there, and do it in the morning so you can mix in some four-square and King's Quest before Bewitched and Too Close for Comfort reruns.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...No. Already broadened my search. My speciality is being in front of people....no lunch being eaten. The problem is sometimes too much experience (age..over 40) can work against you.