1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do Muslims Assimilate, Integrate into American society?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 18, 2016.

?

Do Muslim want to assimilate or integrate into American society?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2016.
  1. I'm or was a Muslim. Yes.

27.7%
  2. I'm or was a Muslim. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm not a Muslim. Yes.

21.3%
  4. I'm not a Muslim. No.

10.6%
  5. Just a simple Yes.

31.9%
  6. Just a simple No.

8.5%
  1. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

The problem is that you are using moral standards of today to dictate what is "evil" back then.

The fact that you cannot see that is quite laughable.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And those are probably 2 of the ways they sell extremism, in some parts of the world those 2 things would be viewed as good things by the Muslim population.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think Muhammad is evil. I think he is a product of his time. I just think it's an absolutely abhorrent idea to make him a role model for the rest of mankind to emulate as Islam claims.

It's quite laughable that you can't grasp the concept that Islam places a man who was a glorified warlord on a pedestal that millions of people today cherish as a great moral figure. How can you not grasp that concept?

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Some do, some don't

This is like asking do Muslims even lift? Some do, some don't.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think you guys are changing each other's minds.

6. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Except your wrong, yet again. Christians can easily point to the Old Testament to try and justify their actions. Do some Christians do this with ill intentions, yes (LRA). Do some Muslims do this with ill intentions, yes. Pretty sure polygamy is illegal in the United States, but Mormons still engage in this act through various loopholes.

You say your mom is a Muslim. Does she own any 'sex slaves'? I didn't think so. You act like because Muhammad engaged in practices that were considered normal during his time, we MUST do the same. No, only extremists believe that (so it is kind of funny how much you dislike Muhammad, but employ similar logic that ISIS uses quite frequently).

7. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

It's only your opinion that he was a glorified warlord. The fact is that numerous people have studied his life and disagree with that sentiment.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Hydhypedplaya is a good example of cognitive dissonance due to ideological brainwashing.

9. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

I think only like 2 people here have ever agreed with you in this section (bobby and some other idiot). Why do you even come here?

10. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

This is entertaining reading for a jet-lagged person in Saudi Arabia that can't sleep at 2am. :grin:

11. fchowd0311

'Warlord' is a very broad colloquial term that I don't think a scholar 'discredited' because everyone's definition of 'warlord' is different. You are just spewing stuff out of your ass now.

I do find it hilarious how you constantly move goal posts. At first you were uber confident that you discredited my claims of Muhammad and now he was just merely a product of his times?

12. fchowd0311

No, shes a woman. Women don't own sex slaves in Islam.

Anyways I have continuously explained how majority of Muslims are sane non-sex holding individuals. It's because when decisions based in morality arise, they use their natural human empathy rather than strict Islamic doctrine. Islam is less of a moral guideline and more of a 'customs and traditions' concept to those type of Muslims. Most Western Muslims just do the ritual part of the religion(5 time prayer, Jummah, Hajj, Ramadan etc.). It's part of their identity. It's part of their tradions that have been passed down by multiple generations. It's what they are simply used to. They just merely assume(like you do) that their natural human empathy coincides with Islamic morality. I'm perfectly fine with that.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a non-Muslim I'm not going to decide who is true to Islam or not but I do have a question. Do you really think that most Muslims do not actually believe in the faith but just follow the traditions?

14. fchowd0311

They BELIEVE their faith coincides with their natural empathy. It's not that they don't believe in their faith. They just never questioned their assumption that their empathy coincides with Islamic morality. That's all. And seeing as how millions of Muslims just read and recite the transliteration of the Quran and never actually make an attempt to study the historical Muhammad they merely just assume.

I know this is going to sound crazy to many of you rational thinkers here, but many individuals never seriously question their faith. I know my mother hasn't.

15. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

It doesn't matter what every other person imagines the definition of a term is. There is an accepted use of the word and that is not one that has been used to legitimately describe Muhammad in the academic world. The only thing hilarious is that you are trying to state that your opinion of someone is factual.

How exactly have I moved goal posts? I've responded to your laughable questions and shown that Muhammad engaged in actions considered normal for his. With your asinine viewpoint, Thomas Jefferson is an evil person.

You previously stated you were in the Marines. Would it be disingenuous for me to ask you if you have ever killed a person without including the fact that you were in the Marines or were in a combat situation?

If you fail to see how context applies, then you clearly have no perspective whatsoever.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Another example of Hydhypedplaya's delusions.

17. fchowd0311

I don't place any slave holders on a pedestal and believe them to be some of the best moral figures of all time precisely because I understand that they were merely a product of their times.

Muhammad being a product of his times is something that a non-Muslim would state, not a believer. A believer of Islam believes Muhammad was a transcendent figure who was as close to a perfect Muslim as one can be and seeing as Islam and religion in general profess objective morality, many Muslims believe that he wasn't just a mere product of his times, thus they believe that sex slavery, punishment for apostasy and other victim-less crimes, etc are part of that objective morality that Islam professes.

You need to get into your thick skull that my problem with Islam isn't that Muhammad is evil. My problem with Islam is it pretty much transplants 7th century Arabian morality to the 21st century precisely because they place a man who was merely a product of his times as some sort of near infallible representative of what an ideal Muslim ought to be for all of mankind until the day of judgment.

#97 fchowd0311, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't doubt that at all that many just follow the faith and believe it essentially blindly. That is true of all of the major religions. That said I find it questionable the idea that all of those who lead rational, tolerant and peaceful lives while also being very devout also do so.

There are people like Sufis and Ismailis who practice a very tolerant form of Islam. Do people like that actually not know what's in the Qu'ran or know who the Muhammad actually was?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I see he hasn't changed.

20. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

You have Wahabi Islam down, good on you, carry on you with your vitriol.