1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SuperGirl (Another Super Hero TV Show)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, May 13, 2015.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I watched the first season, it was choppy but did have a different kind of positive slant which is very different than most of the superhero movies and shows.

It's a bit simplistic but the lead is likable even though this show always makes me think of the Wonder Woman series that never got off the ground.

This show reminds me a lot of what that David Kelly show sounded like....

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think production values have a lot to do with it, too. CGI, makeup, etc.

3. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Well it looks like Tv has it's next Superman....wonder if this casting will turn into another Berlanti and Kreisberg spinoff?

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Season 2 premiered on Monday. Thoughts?

I thought it was a solid fun premier.

Mon-El, Superman, Lena Luther, Metallo, Cadmus and mentions of Gotham, Lex Luther and Lois Lane too? CW really loves to blow its wad in these initial seasons.

The female leaning direction of the show wasn't for everyone, but I thought it was something different in a landscape of male driven super hero properties. It seems they dialed it WAY back in season 2. CW completely squashed that Jimmy relationship in one episode after CBS spent a whole season building it up; weird for a CW network I thought would eat that story line up.

Hopefully Supergirl turns into a more organic female show like iZombie instead of the CBS on-the-nose route.

I'm in for the season. I mean, do I have a choice? Mega 4 show cross-over event on the horizon.

5. GRENDEL

I enjoyed it, I like the actors more than the plot lines to be honest. It's got a nice feel to it but the stories and villains, even the rogues gallery characters they use, feel under written or hackey.

I'll keep watching though, wish they did more with the Martian Manhunter character outside of what they've done.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it was better than the first season, and they finally got it right by including Superman but it's still not a very good show IMO.

I think the problem with it is that there's no realistic threats that aren't on a planetary scale if you have Supergirl, Superman, and Martian Manhunter involved. Due to that I have some sympathy for the writers, but it just hasn't been on par with shows like Arrow or Flash which are hokey, but somehow work.

7. GRENDEL

Have to agree, even with the other Krytonians they had last season, there was never a real threat. Now that Big Blue is part of the equation, even less so. Doesn't help that MM is one of the most powerful characters in DC outside of Sups and WW.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

There's a threat....Gene Hackman reprising his role as Lex Luthor.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Miss TESSMACHER!!!!!

I think they brought in Superman too quickly.
    Let it find its legs.

I heard so many good reviews . . I dove in quicker than expected
    Plus. . I just read iZombie won't be back until 2017

Rocket River

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think they needed to find an audience; even though it's just a button on the remote, it's hard to get viewers to transition from the CBS to the CW.

11. GRENDEL

It looks like it work, it's ratings were some of the strongest for the CW in a long while. I don't know if it'll be sustainable but I'm sure the CW is happy with it.