1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astrodome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MrRoboto, Apr 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

Reading about billion dollar attractions ( the Eiffel tower and Coliseum ), and realizing Houston has little to draw world attention, I was wondering how much it would cost, and what kind of an engineering feat would it be to bring back from the moon a quarried monolith rock ( shuttle sized piece of rock ), and then build a monument and park around that centerpiece. With the hope of drawing people to Houston to see the moon up close and then go visit NASA. If you could do it for less than 10 billion, it would likely be a worthwhile long term investment.

I've only ever seen moon rock in like 2-4 pound pieces. I think if there were a huge chuck of rock for people to go see, they would go see it.

2. BleedsRocketRed

Me too, Its better than a lot of the outlandish ideas that have been proposed before.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The prime new tailgating lots for the Texans would be next to the new discovery green zone. LOL. That park would be transformed into a luxurious toilet pissing spot by all the drunks.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Man you could do a lot of "murderin" in a place like that.

I am sure it wouldn't be long before police were looking for the "McGregor Slasher" or the "Astrodome Rapist".

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Looks like a huge shore tank that's currently under construction.

Also, FBI please place this guy under security review.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Make it the largest parking lot in the world, with light rail into downtown, U of H/TSU/Rice and the Med Center, and a 24-hour gym, repertory film theater, and a food-friendly subscription library with paid wi-fi, but no computers on-site.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Then sell the movie rights as a dark sequel to that one film about the kid hang gliding in there.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i actually like it - it's iconic, retains the astrodomes heritage, promotes active outdoor lifestyle and can be used for many different purposes, making it quite versatile.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That walking/running area would be too dangerous, as shown...they should just keep the 2 lower rings and secure those better.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not gonna see too many runners. Nobody wants to run up a continuous "hill" that long.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They could make it as safe as any other iconic observation deck that is high up (Eiffel tower, empire state building).

This is probably the only viable use for the dome space.... turn it into a park or standing memorial of what it used to be. Don't try to re-purpose it for daily function/use/money-making.... if there was a purpose, would have been discovered by now.

Could be Houston's version of high-line park.

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I just don't it as compelling enough that people will go there. Maybe if it wasn't the last stop on the train. Seems more like something you want to go see once it opens but you don't have a real urge to go back.

It would be different if it was in downtown or midtown or in the middle of an even bigger park but it's basically an island and not close to anything else that is pedestrian friendly.

I still like the Texan/Rodeo's proposal to keep the skeleton but make everything else a simple park that can be enjoyed at games, concerts, rodeos, events at the arena and exhibition center and more. http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...-unveil-plan-to-replace-dome-with-5613945.php

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is probably the best offer we're going to get from the Texans/Rodeo, so we should take it.

I think the mini dome replica thing is very odd, and I'd prefer to have an actual skeletal dome over the greenspace (perhaps one that could provide some semblance of shade).

It could be Houston's football version of Ole Miss' "The Grove"

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's essentially what this plan is though... with preservation of the superstructure, which really is the only way to realistically pay homage to a sports stadium that happened to be the first of its kind.

I don't think the expectation would be that people would enjoy this year-round... it would predominantly be visited when there are games/events/rodeos, or concerts that choose to take place at that venue (as depicted in the renditions).

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I like the idea a lot.

What would be even cooler is to make the whole thing into a park, and have he super structure be a giant pergola. He'll, even throw a lake under the pergola for some fishing.

Just make the ramp safe.

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

That isn't what it is at all. Compare the two plans.

Are you sure their intention isn't to get people there year around? I would be all for it if it was just for game days but I can't imagine it would be for the cost and the type of things they are depicting.

17. Buck Turgidson

Greenspace, please.

18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Please tear this place down already and stop wasting money on it.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Parking, get your parking!

[rquoter]Astrodome as a parking garage? County judge has a new plan

HOUSTON - Harris County Judge Ed Emmett is hoping to move forward with a plan for the Astrodome that is much simpler than many of the ideas that have been put forth in regards to the aging Astrodome. The plan will be discussed in greater detail with the county’s capital improvement at the end of June.

“People like to talk about, 'what's the final grand plan going to be?' I don't know,” said Emmett.

However, Emmett does have a vision for the Dome in the immediate future. Emmett wants to move forward with raising the Astrodome's floor to create an underground two level parking garage that would hold 1,400 spaces.

“You suddenly are now generating some revenue and it becomes a usable facility again,” said Emmett.

Emmett said the rest of the plan calls for gutting the inside and leaving the iconic dome intact.

“At that point you've got 9 acres of air-conditioned, covered space that a lot of groups would like to use,” said Emmett. “How many of the annual festivals and gatherings that we have in this community would love to schedule and know that they're not going to be impacted by weather?”

Emmett said creating a large open space would allow the Texans and Livestock Show and Rodeo to again use the Astrodome for special events,

From there, Emmett said it would be up to the private sector to come up with an idea and money to turn the Dome into something else. A cost analysis of raising the floor and fully gutting the inside is nearly complete and will be presented to the county's capital improvement committee on June 28.

“I think the simple plan really is the best right now,” said Emmett.

Emmett said he hopes commissioners will then vote on Sept. 27 whether to put the expense of this work into next year's budget. Either way, Emmett said no work on the Dome will happen before the Super Bowl.[/rquoter]

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Why are they pretending like they're trying to come up with options? They've already went through that pretense and let us pretend to vote on it. At which time they ignored the voting public anyway.

1 person likes this.