1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim Donaghy: NBA suspends Green to prolong finals

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OTMax, Jun 14, 2016.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Or maybe they had to do something bc it was an obvious hit to the nuts..the nba doesnt want to suspend players, especially key guys, in the playoffs...but they already gave Draymond a pass against okc, couldn't do it again.

It's really no one's fault but Green's..hes had 3 very questionable plays in the post season.

1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It wasn't a makeup call. He was suspended for the flagrant fouls he had accumulated, including a flagrant-2 for that groin kick against Adams. For more on the OKC groin-kick ruling, a non-conspiracy nut perspective:

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/05/23/dr...n-decision-golden-state-warriors-steven-adams

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

So you're cool with people trying to hit others in the crotch? Hey, he missed, so let's just ignore it? What kind of warped reality is this?

If someone throws a punch and the other guy ducks out of the way then it's a wash?

4. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

This is no secret, it has been published many times before that the league often called the refs in before the "important" games, and emphasis the areas they should focus on.

You can say that the league wants to get things right for those games, but you can also take it that NBA wants the refs to call the game a certain way. The fact is that the commissioner's office has the cloud over the outcome of the games, which raises the red flag for every one with a common sense.

5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I think you ignored every fact of the situation.

Green accumulated flagrant points and reached the limit.

He then made an attempt to hit someone in the crotch. He got another point.

He was suspended for earning 4 flagrant points.

All his fouls were blatantly dumb and unnecessary. It's not like he even earned one of those where a player goes for a block and hit's someone in the head. He threw Michael Beasely to the ground in a meaningless moment, kicked Adams in the crotch on a flop, and now tried to hit Lebron in the crotch. If Green used his brain and avoided committing just one of those other fouls this would ultimately be a non-issue.

But he didn't. He can't help himself. Everyone knew he was at the limit. And he still did it.

6. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

So in this case, you are saying that Adam Silver called the refs into a room, and said: "Point of Emphasis: Draymond Green likes to hit people in the balls. Be on the lookout for him doing it again"

If this were true, I have no problem with it whatsoever.

7. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Durvasa is making a very reasonable point. Even if the league has its thumb on the scale, the games are still largely determined by the players. They're worth watching and enjoying.

There have been very few times when the league has used a fist, and I don't see that happening now. It just sucks that when it does happen your team gets punched in the nuts.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont think it was a make up call.....sometimes you have to guess on intent..They gave him benefit of the doubt on the groin kick to avoid deciding the series..but green screwed up again...cant keep guessing in his favor bc he kept stumbling into borderline dirty plays vs Cleveland, plus groin kick, etc... At some point it's no longer accidents and they have to put their foot down.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

silver could have very easily just ignored donkey's most recent testicular hit, and the media/teams likely would not have even mentioned it again. but of course silver wasn't going to let an opportunity to help extend the series just go by.

10. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

I wouldnt say it's fixed. It's just tilted

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wait a minute . . . wrestling is fake?

12. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Why should they ignore it? It's something he has done over and over again during the playoffs? People here really think Green is being unfairly targeted? The guy is dirty. He's obviously a good player, but he's also dirty.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i said could, not should. i don't think they should have ignored it. but they did ignore several other ridiculous infractions, including donkey's first nuts kick on adams. i'm saying they could have just ignored this instance yet again, and likely would have had the series been tied 2-2.

14. hakeemthagreat

Even if it was accumulative, that specific play was NOT a flagrant foul on Draymond. Lebron's the one who threw him down, then stepped over him LOOKING for a confrontation. The league picks & chooses what's a flagrant not based on the rulebook, but on the players involved in the play. For instance, Lebron throw a cheapshot and play on. Dwight can do the same thing and get a flagrant 2. In this case the league saw Draymond was getting too physical with Lebron and intervened because it meant another game for Cleveland

15. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

This is so upsetting If I was a player, This scenario plus injuries factored in would make me take the best contract offers out of teams every single time.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Donaghy isn't relevant anymore so I'm obviously gonna take what he says with a grain of salt.

Green clearly took a swipe at LeBron's dick. If he doesn't do that, he isn't suspended.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

not fixed but manipulated. still very wrong though.

18. battousai

battousai Member

I saw that play over and over again, and honestly that was not a flagant foul on green. Green and Lebron both deserves a foul but not a techical/flagant. Green has done worst fouls before that should of been tech/fla 1. So yea the game is fixed.

19. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

I used to be an official and I did everything from Rec all the way up to NCAA. I have been saying what Donaghy has been saying since I came on this board and I have been ridiculed mercilessly for saying it. Even in NCAA games with Television coverage we were told to "hold the Audience(TV)". People change the channels during a blowout especially fans from the team getting blown out. Whistles get "swallowed" when the team ahead has the ball and things get touchy when the team behind has the ball. Close games and buzzer beaters hold fans and make for excitement and ratings. Most NCAA fans have figured out you only need to watch the last minute of the game (which will take 20 minutes to play)!!

20. split41

split41 Member

They didn't "ignore" Draymond's kick to Adams, it was a flagrant 2, it was part of the reason he was suspended. He was suspended for the accumulation of points.

After Game 3, people kept saying the NBA is rigged or that the warriors lost that game so they can win at home, then the Cavs win game 5, so now it's rigged again, but now the rig is the NBA are going to make it a 7 game series. People are making up their own narrative at this point, it's getting out of hand.