1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 13, 2016.

?

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

1. Yes

86 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. No

486 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Holic, that's what this thread is for. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=275424 ;)

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As down as you are on Capela gestating at the 5....I am even MORE down on his chances at becoming Ibaka at the 4. I see nothing in Capela's game that will translate him as a stretch 4. I see way more DeAndre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, John Henson in his game. You have to squint to do it though. ;)

I am not convinced Capela can hold up as a 30 mpg starter. Maybe, I just dont know. I think he can become a better rebounder, defender and finisher much much easier than a range shooter however.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sanity2disChaos

Yes it is!!:grin:

but to answer the question no!! But Maker is a player to watch:eek:

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Dickie would be disappointed in this question.

I would not trade Capela for Maker now. If we want him in the draft, I'm sure there are other ways of getting into the first round. Maker has a ton of potential, just unsure if it materializes.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

We kind of know Capela is not going to be a star, but he does seem capable of being a versatile solid defender who can guard all positions in a pinch and who can finish at the hoop(provided he doesn't bobble the pass). That amounts to something of real value in the league even if it's only as a backup.

Thon's potential isn't of real value and given this team is a playoff contending team right now, you have to go for the proven commodity over the guy who may or may not get there 3 years from now...

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thon "Ring" Maker?

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Maybe 6 years down the line. He's one of those guys who's "two years away from being two years away."

Will be able to play as a big with those dainty legs? I'm skeptical. Kristaps gets away with it because he has a strong perimeter game. Thon - from what I've read - is more of a very occasional spot up shooter, at best.

I suppose if I were playing 2K I'd make this trade and simulate 5 or so seasons until Thon was ready to contribute.

But as things stand now, in real life? Thanks but no thanks. I'll take Capela.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

nope.

Capela is filling out and can already contribute.

Ton Maker is raw and two year away from seeing if he's even as good as Capela.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If you thought Capela couldn't hold his ground, Thon Maker will look like he's playing in the middle of hurricane...:p

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Capela is the modern NBA 5...I've been convinced of that since the WCF last year.

And it's not a big deal he can't shoot free throws. With the intentional foul rules changing soon, his shooting won't matter as much.

Best rebounder on the team sans Dwight? Capela
    Best rim protector on the team sans Dwight? Capela
    Best perimeter defending big on the team? Capela
    Best PnR chemistry with Harden? Capela

If he thickens up and can play 30 mpg, he is undoubtably your center of the future.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Clutch said Capela gained around 10 pounds this off season, that's big IMO. Give him a couple of more years, and 20 more pounds and Capela will be one of the better starters in the league.

Capela's only weakness at center is weight, he has everything else a nba team needs. Once he gains weight his interior and post defense becomes much better. He's already a good shot blocker, pick and roll defender, perimeter defender, great rebounder, athletic, high vertical, very agile, good pick and roll finisher, good catch anf finish under the basket.

Capela was a great pick by Morey, never expected anything of him and now I see the potential for him to be a top 15 center in the league within 2-3 years with more overall development and big time weight training.

I wouldn't trade Capela for anything outside of a top 10 pick draft wise, the potential of drafting a bust is way to high outside of that range.

That being said, even though I would view a top 10 pick is fair value, I don't think we are in the position to be trading away contributors for picks right now, especially a long term contributor like Capela.

There is absolutely no guarantee Capela's production could be matched or exceeded by a rookie outside of the too 2 picks IMO. And replacing Capela through free agency with a similar player would cost about 10 million so that certainly isn't a viable option either.

I think Capela is a keeper, on draft night.

That being said, if we can lock up a great center (Howard, Whiteside, Horford). I would consider packaging Capela with picks for Teague.

12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Thon Maker is going to bust hard. Next topic.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thon Maker will not be a center. He will be a stretch four.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah but considering Thon Maker is probably 3 years older than his listed age ... you might be able to answer it now.

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

This.

16. orosiriley

orosiriley Member

Philadelphia will draft Thon Maker with their with third pick (# 26) in the first round. Very high risk draft pick. Boom or bust pick, probably bust.

17. tzou88

tzou88 Member

I'd trade Capela for Thong Maker tho....

18. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

There r too many guys to discuss nonsense topics.
    The NBA team's management is a precise business, u should learn some basic business concept

19. Possum

Possum Member

The projections are silly IMO. He's a lot to pick.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Should have been, but regressed in most people's eyes this past season. His workouts will be very important imo.