1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Press Summer Festival 2016

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Victorious, Feb 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2. buffalobills!!!

Bring back real indie

3. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

People that b**** about bringing back a real Houston Free Press Summer fest are the same b#itches that never show up early. I read an an article talking about how he was treated badly as press and how fpsf has changed. Yet in the same article he says how he showed up around 2 and left early. **** that guy. I showed up at 11. And saw nobody at any of the stages until 2-3. It was great for the show but awful for the bands.

4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Like they say, NY is the town that never sleeps, Houston is the town that never wakes up....

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Did anyone catch Torey Lanez or A$AP Ferg's sets?

Hate that this festival was the only Houston stop for their tour.

6. Victorious

Victorious Member

Yeah they had a joint set. Good energy, crowd was rocking.

So the FPSF organizers sold the rights to C3 Media (they did all the major festivals like ACL & Lollapalooza), who were then purchased by Live Nation. So everyone who was b****ing about the not enough big name acts, will get their wish. Hopefully it doesn't get too commercial. FPSF guys going all in on Day for Night now.

http://www.freepresshouston.com/a-letter-to-the-community-from-free-press-houston/

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

the single biggest gripe i have about fpsf? the age and inebriation of its attendees:

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/w...s-High-School-graduate-reportedly-7971887.php

incredibly sad story but not surprising. even in 2013, the last year i actually attended the festival (although i spent a good deal of time across the bayou the following year) i made routine notice of how young everyone was (as in high school aged) and how absolutely f***ed up many of them were. molly/x was rampant as it will be with many festivals - difference being that no festival i've ever attended had such a large contingency of minors who wanted nothing more than to get as f***ed up as possible without being able to handle it.

not sure what if anything they can do to stem it save for booking far less EDM acts. those are the only sets the younger generation really flocks to.

8. Victorious

Victorious Member

This year was a much younger crowd than before. i think it had a lot to do with the acts booked, Live Nation put a lot of it together.

one thing they should do that will solve this,is follow what they do in Europe. Their festivals have a drug test/check station where they will test kit your drugs and make sure they are not tainted/altered. this way, people know exactly what they are taking and if its lethal or not.

Pure MDMA is fairly safe. MDMA itself is not what kills people, but people die from dehydration. Or like the young girl who passed, if its tainted or mixed with other substances. Its a music festival/concert, people are going to do drugs. Its about educating people about the safe way to do things.

Maybe its not legal or practical, but a station where people can bring their drugs to check if its not anything altered, can go a long way in terms of safety.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

wahhhhh, some dumb ass kid ods on drugs. They screen for drugs and tell people to not bring drugs.

What else do you want? Stupid people do stupid things and there's no reason to alter 10,000 people's plans and good times. You've never been to a festival where minors get ****ed up? Do you only go to ACL?

as victorious just mentioned drug testing is a good way to stop ODs. Back in my day raves always had a non profit called Dance Safe that would do testing but Raves were called bad and now EDM festivals are OK. It's all the same ****.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Very interesting stuff regarding Europe.

Who pays for the test kits? I'd imagine that it would be much more difficult to get Houston to foot the bill

And yes, these events will always have drugs. Sticking your head in the sand will not make the problem go away

11. Victorious

Victorious Member

I believe the festival organizers/promoters foot the bill. It sounds right. Europe is ahead of the game. They have networks specifically dedicated to drug checking (http://www.safernightlife.org/). They even put out standards and guidelines on it http://newip.safernightlife.org/pdfs/standards/NEWIP_P_standards-final_20.12-A4.pdf

Like Reeko mentioned, the organization Dance Safe is still around, and they will provide pill testing services, as long as its approved by the promoters.

1 person likes this.
  12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Briefly checking out the Dance Safe website, it looks like 50 tests run about $100. That really is a nominal fee.

I hope something good comes out of this preventable death

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

No I'm saying I've never been to a festival where easily 50% of the crowd was under the age of 21 and, much more annoyingly, likely in HS. It's not cool and I've had many friends both natives and from out of town stop going bc it completely takes away from the festival.

14. droopy421

droopy421 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dYzmZ1IU4zY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Documentary I saw a while back on that very thing. Most of the time people when people are taking what they think is MDMA it is actually bath salts.

15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

This year's lineup was released yesterday and is complete trash. Ridiculous that they are charging $150 before fees for GA.

16. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I heard last year's festival was really bad. Don't know how they get away with charging those prices. I remember a couple of years ago early bird started at $90 bucks.

17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Save your money and go to Middlelands

18. Fantasma Negro

Major Lazor, I'm sold

19. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

A lot of artists from Middle Lands have played FPSF the last couple of years.

Lineup isn't bad. But it is a ACL rehash. Hopefully add a couple of mid level bands. Still bought tickets. Last year was a bummer for one day but I got to see Big Grams which was the only reason I went.

If you want a cool festival it's Day for Night. No expectations, low cost, and just a fun time. Closet festival like Fun Fun Fun fest that it wasn't so packed like ACL or Voodoo that you could relax.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

last year's lineup was better than this. this year has no true headliner. I thought lineups would get better since the OG organizers of FPSF (Omar) sold the rights but it has gotten weaker. the best thing they did this year was release lineup and tickets at the same time so you knew what you were paying for. the majority of the acts this year are FPSF veterans lol i've seen most of them there