1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The rise of Depression

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aussie rocket, Jun 1, 2016.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Generally part of the curing process.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you know you got it bad when fruit makes you depressed.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Everyone is different, but I'd think the other way around would've been better.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I believe one of the strongest reasons for depression is due to being sad. If society can control people being sad, then we can conquer depression once and for all.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I wish it were so simple. It isn't. Clinical depression has almost nothing to do with sadness.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Don't get Brightsided, BJ.

Check posting history.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SJvZpyIStvY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yUJbT89wKHI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Its epigenetics - blame your parents for being stressed out in the 80's. Intense stress (like many other factors) causes alterations to the expression of genes that are heritable.

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/features/142195/beyond-dna-epigenetics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics_of_depression

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

One of the worst experiences ever. The cravings and headaches were brutal for 11-12 days. But when I broke through on the other side it was more than worth it.

I went to a work conference last month and ended up having a couple beignets and mini cheesecakes (ugh damn you nola) and felt awful for a week. Just not worth it anymore. Sugar used to be my favorite thing in the world and now I recognize it for the poison it is.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I only eat it once a week.

If you find yourself in a situation where you have to have some (like NOLA, LOL), drink some pineapple juice. I find this keeps your blood-sugar from spiking.

Sounds odd, but it really works for me.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

finalsbound and ima, do y'all avoid fruit in general, or just so-called non-natural or added sugar (e.g. corn syrup everywhere you look)?

I'm interested and have cut way back, but not totally committed. So I'm in that stage where I wake up sometimes thinking about an apple fritter and literally spend a whole day in the spell of a fritter fantasy. LOL.

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Thanks to the hombre who sent me this anonymous feedback

Gives me some hope for this generation

"young millenial here and i agree with all of this. people wont be depressed if the get off their ass & be active and do something with yourself. depressed people who havent suffered any form of emotional or physical trauma for the most part are bums"

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

my dreams are about Dr Pepper :(

If it wasn't so awful for me i'd drink a couple a day.

13. Beezy

Beezy Member

My sister used to post on here pretty regularly. She suffered from depression and committed suicide in 2013. Life definitely isn't as fun as it used to be for me.

1 person likes this.
  14. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

That sucks!

Know that my comments are not meant to be all-encompassing. I am so sorry for your loss. Find strength in the ones around you that you love and that love you.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I avoid fruit, but I eat it once a week on my "cheat" day. I eat the **** out of vegetables though. The good ones, not the starchy ones.

16. ShereKhan

ShereKhan Member

Really good to hear this. I believe I gave you this advice about 5 years ago and you mocked me. - Sactown

#77 ShereKhan, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
  17. finalsbound

I do not eat fruit, or anything sweet.

Meat is nutritionally complete and makes me feel my best.

I'll occasionally eat vegetables out of politeness, but I try to avoid fiber.

18. likestohypeguy

I am curious about this diet (I love meat!), so which meats in particular are okay or not, the way you're doing it? Haha I'm over hear hoping for... bacon?

Also, what specifically does the bold statement above mean, what makes meat, or anything "nutritionally complete" exactly?

19. finalsbound

fresh meat is optimal but I eat bacon occasionally, mostly so I can save the grease for cooking other meat. my diet is 99% comprised of ground chuck (if I could afford to subsist on ribeyes I would), beef liver, bacon, chicken with skin, and occasionally fish and eggs.

meat is nutritionally complete because it literally contains all the vitamins and minerals you need to be healthy.

I'm not paleo, but this is an excellent website with tons of useful info.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks for sharing all that, y'all. Surprised I don't see y'all in the farting at work thread though. ;-)