1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Would It Take For The Rockets To Sign Kevin Durant & Al Horford?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jun 6, 2016.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

unfortunately there is almost no chance of this happening unless collusion happens like what happened in Miami before. The reason is why we're waiting around KD to sign him Horford will also have suitors of his own and would sign with another team while we're making a pitch with KD.

IMHO the Rockets should just forget about Horford and think of adding other guys who are not max players, by the time the KD situation plays out he's most likely off the market. If we are fortunate enough to land KD, I wouldn't necessarily think we need Horford anyway, Beasley might be a better fit at the PF spot given his shooting and spacing abilities and we might like a more defensive person at the C spot.

2. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I say forget Horford. He's a 15/7 guy. Let's not overpay when we have Capela for cheap and he could possibly give us the same production. Spend that money elsewhere.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Capela can't give us even half of that. I do agree that Les shouldn't overpay for Horford.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think Capela could give us 8/8... which is more than half of that, lol

5. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Honestly, even if we did get Durant, it's better to spend elsewhere or save the cap for next year and much much bigger names than give Horford 100 +. Unless of course that's what gets Durant here, it's his world ; )

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i too don't understand the horford hype. not only is he a soft rebounder, but he's always hurt. if we pay a guy the max, he should be able to dominate at least some aspect of the game, whether it's scoring or defense or rebounding.....passing? horford is just meh

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

That's all garbage buckets though, Horford obviously brings a lot to the table offensively that Capela won't ever bring.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He's also 30 years old. If you're gonna sink max money into a guy, isn't it better to do it with someone entering their prime and not possibly on the tail end of it?

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He averaged five 9&10 rebounds per season in his 9 year career, and two of the seasons where because he was injured(29 & 11 games played). It is now in the last two consecutive seasons that he has only averaged 7 rebounds per game, not sure why it has dipped, perhaps its because they have pushed him out to the 3pt line on offense, which makes him less enggaded in rebounding and being physical. He also had a big shoulder injury a couple years ago so they probably aimed to do that.

He doesn't dominate anything, he is just incredibly versatile across the board, he can do whatever you ask of him at either big position and be really good at it. He can do pick and pop both mid range and long, he can be a spot up shooter, he can be a pick n roll man, he can be ISO'd with a post up, he can put the ball on the floor and drive, he can pass... or he can be a garbage man if you want getting put backs/catch and finishing.

As well he can guard either position welll, post D, pick n roll D, he's got enough strength and size to guard the centers, and enough foot speed to keep up with most of the quicker PF's, he gets about a block and a steal every game. Even though his numbers have dipped, he's still a respectable rebounder as well, he has never averaged below 7 boards and he has a good rebounder in Milsap next to him as well.

He can just do it all, which is incredibly valuable in todays game IMO, with Horford you can literally adjust the stratedgy at anytime we want in the front court.

No he isn't perfect, he has had injuries, he will be 30, likely overpaid even under next rears cap, and is only a master of being a jack of all trades... But, i get the hype.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya other than his hot wife, i still don't see why we should sign him. shot 34% on 3's this season. averaged 13pts in 10 playoff games and got swept out. has already been on the decline past couple years and that will only accelerate now further into his 30's. add in his injury history and despite the versatility, it's just too risky to sink max money into horford.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Great post, i totally agree. Some guys here just don't know what they're talking about...but i guess they're low on him because he's not an highlight player, i bet someone would prefer Ryan Anderson at 15x which is absolutely embarassing. Horford is a very good player because there's nothing he can't do pretty/very well, simple as that.

It's also funny how someone still talks about him like he has some sort of history of injuries...he only injured his pectoral muscle (one time the left, the other time the right one) in two different season, nothing more, he's not a injury prone guy, no microfractures, no knee injuries...and yes, he's 30 years old, but his game is not dependant on athleticism, and he's still improving his game (yeah, that's also why he grabs less rebounds) year after year.

I really don't see those presumed problems, especially when you plan to sign him after you leave Dwight Howard who is older, a lot more injured and with zero game going forward...and he's already getting the same contract.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Who would you sign?